Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/17/2013, 02:46 AM   #2576
reefguy24
Registered Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedZep fan2 View Post
First chamber - Media basket with filter floss, purigen, and chemipure
Second chamber - heater
Third chamber - return
JBJ 24gal here....I put my heater in the 3rd chamber, but when I put my finger in the main tank....the water seems a bit cold.

I got the heater set at 80 degrees.

Are you noticing this as well?

reefguy24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/17/2013, 08:29 AM   #2577
Donchedda
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abiza02 View Post
hi everyone. im new to the nanocube. curious what do you guys use the center container for. what do you put in it. just floss. or what would be good. thanks in advance.
I upgraded to the intank media basket for the center chamber as its larger. Floss on top, rowaphos in the middle section and chemipure elite in the bottom section. Everything I have thrives.

Donchedda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/17/2013, 10:09 PM   #2578
LedZep fan2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefguy24 View Post
JBJ 24gal here....I put my heater in the 3rd chamber, but when I put my finger in the main tank....the water seems a bit cold.

I got the heater set at 80 degrees.

Are you noticing this as well?
I have not. Do you have a controller hooked up to your heater? I have mine on the finnex heater controller which has a probe that I keep inside the tank (outside of the chamber) and it seems to keep things stable. If you don't have a controller, I'd recommond moving the heater inside of the tank - outside of the chamber.

Also, I'd recommend getting a controller for any heater. The internal controller usually goes bad or gets stuck and can cook your tank. Better be safe than sorry

>120 Gallon Reef<
Fish- Multicolor Angel, Pair of Clowns, Purple Tang, Blue Spotted Jawfish

Current Tank Info: 120 gallon, 12 gallon nano
LedZep fan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/24/2013, 09:59 AM   #2579
reefguy24
Registered Member.

Hi guys,

24ga JBJ nano here.

I made a thread in another part of the forums but didn't get any help. Maybe this is the right place to post this?

Are any of you guys/gals running a Tunze 9002 skimmer in chamber #2?

If so.....how did you get it to work?

I was told I had to "suction out" water from the middle chamber......in order for the skimmer to sit right. However this immediately removes water from the 3rd chamber where the pump is, and micro bubbles start forming in the main tank.

Just wondering how you guys did it?

thanks

reefguy24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/25/2013, 09:00 PM   #2580
willfromct
Registered Member

Hope its ok if I chime in
I just ordered a JBJ 28led itermediate and stand .
I hope it arrives all in one piece.
My question is .. would all the jbj28 owners say they are happy with the quality of the tank , somone told me (waited till after I made the purchase) that his JBJ 28 leaked , the stand leaned to one side , trashed it overall .
Im not looking for seaworld .. just a simple clean design that with my past saltwater experiences and a little help from YOU.
figure there is a JBJ owners forum , must be a good little rig.
thanks for any input .
willfromct

willfromct is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/25/2013, 09:08 PM   #2581
willfromct
Registered Member

And any sugestions on a few corals to start with after tank is cycled and ready for stocking . I would love a few sps , will JBJ 28led intermediate support any lps corals .
Any common amount/weight of live rock in the 28.

Unread 12/25/2013, 09:39 PM   #2582
LedZep fan2
Registered Member

The jbj nanos can be fantastic all-in-one tanks. There's a ton of little DIY things you could do to make the tank even better (media basket/upgraded return pump/ect).

As far as quality - all tanks have the chance of leaking. From poor seals to improper elevation, there will always be those who don't have any good experience.

Personally, I love my jbj. It's quiet, small, and low maintenance. I don't run a protein skimmer, just water changes once a week and everything is flourishing.

As far as corals go, you can start will easy stuff such as zoas and LPS but id let the tank mature before putting in sps. Just my 2 cents.

Hope this helps!

>120 Gallon Reef<

Unread 12/25/2013, 11:02 PM   #2583
willfromct
Registered Member

Thank you ! Im munching my finger nails , thinking "maybe i should call and cancel my order" .
I sat in vront of my vintage stereo after thae family left , listenimg to some steely dan on my turntable (my other hobby)
And thought to myself almost word for word what you posted above... some bad experiences are true with even the very best of just about anything , including reef tanks .
I am also happy to hear your skimmer free with water changes .
What percentage of water do you change ? Led?
Thanks again!

Unread 12/25/2013, 11:29 PM   #2584
LedZep fan2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfromct View Post
Thank you ! Im munching my finger nails , thinking "maybe i should call and cancel my order" .
I sat in vront of my vintage stereo after thae family left , listenimg to some steely dan on my turntable (my other hobby)
And thought to myself almost word for word what you posted above... some bad experiences are true with even the very best of just about anything , including reef tanks .
I am also happy to hear your skimmer free with water changes .
What percentage of water do you change ? Led?
Thanks again!
Great way to relax and think! Any Pink Floyd? REO Speedwagon?

There will always be someone who doesn't have a good experience or has a personal error that causes something to go wrong with the tank - no way around that one.

I change about 50% to 75% of the tank volume (rough guess since I do it by eye). Everything has done great and all my SPS are growing considerably.

I did upgrade my lighting with a LED retrofit kit from Steve's LED's and I couldn't be happier - I can keep anything under the sun and can achieve sunrise and sunsets with their controller.

>120 Gallon Reef<

Unread 12/26/2013, 12:07 AM   #2585
willfromct
Registered Member

I saw that led upgrade when I was looking around at other cubes .... def on the jbj28's bucket list .
Wow 50% - 75% is how much you change ?
I was thinking 20%. Hmmm...
Pink floyd and REO speedwagon... absolutely!

Unread 12/26/2013, 12:36 AM   #2586
LedZep fan2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfromct View Post
I saw that led upgrade when I was looking around at other cubes .... def on the jbj28's bucket list .
Wow 50% - 75% is how much you change ?
I was thinking 20%. Hmmm...
Pink floyd and REO speedwagon... absolutely!
Probably one of the best mods was the LEDs hands down. As far as the water change goes, all the bacteria is in the sand and on the rocks. Essentially, by doing a big water change you are replenishing all essential elements and not throwing out beneficial bacteria (other than the organic matter that fuels phosphates and nitrates). I haven't seen any downside in doing bigger water changes. The tank's water actually ends up being more clear and coral growth is very noticeable.

If you want to do 20% instead, that's perfectly fine. I do that on my 120 but it has an oversized skimmer

I saw REO in concert a few years back.. had to be one of the best I've ever been to

>120 Gallon Reef<

Unread 12/27/2013, 08:57 AM   #2587
Goldndoodle
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedZep fan2 View Post

I change about 50% to 75% of the tank volume (rough guess since I do it by eye). Everything has done great and all my SPS are growing considerably.

How often are you doing a 50% - 70% water changes??

Goldndoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/27/2013, 07:33 PM   #2588
LedZep fan2
Registered Member

Once a week.

20% is fine too, but I've had greater success with larger water changes.

>120 Gallon Reef<

Unread 01/03/2014, 09:13 AM   #2589
Goldndoodle
Registered Member

I've had my tank up and running for a little over 3 weeks now - I used live sand and 25# of live rock from an LFS that has had the rock in tanks for months. I let it cycle for 2 weeks, and checked water parameters every other day during that time. I did get minor ammonia and nitrate spikes. But never really saw an increase in nitrate readings. About a week ago, I added a CUC (4 red tip hermits, 1 emerald crab, 2 pep shrimp, 1 skunk cleaner shrimp, 3 cerith snails, 3 marg snails, and 6 nassarius snails) and 2 small ocellaris clownfish. Once I added livestock, I put Purigen in chamber 2 and ChemiPur in chamber 3 of the stock media basket. The stock sponge is in chamber 1.

Last night I started to notice some greening of the live rock, and small blotches of green on the sand. I never saw an outbreak of brown or red algae over the two weeks - could this be the third round of cycling algae? Or might it be from excess feeding of the clownfish ... they didn't really eat hardily for a couple of days. I've been feeding the clowns mysis or brine from a syringe - I spot feed them, only squirting a little bit in at a time. They tend to get most of it, but some does end up on the bottom, where the CUC seems to take care of it. I don't feel like I'm overfeeding, but I was feeding daily, and a couple of times I've fed twice per day.

I've dropped daylights from 11 hours/day to 9 hours/day, and I'm only going to feed the clowns every other day. Water parameter tests for this morning showed 0 nitrate, 0 nitrite, 0 ammonia, the water is crystal clear.

Does this sound like the right course of action to control the green?

I'm looking for opinions -
Do you think this green is the final stage of cycling, even though I didn't get brown or red stages?
Or from introducing livestock, and thus beginning feeding cycles?
Is there anything I could add to the CUC to combat the green?

Unread 01/03/2014, 09:40 AM   #2590
LedZep fan2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldndoodle View Post
I've had my tank up and running for a little over 3 weeks now - I used live sand and 25# of live rock from an LFS that has had the rock in tanks for months. I let it cycle for 2 weeks, and checked water parameters every other day during that time. I did get minor ammonia and nitrate spikes. But never really saw an increase in nitrate readings. About a week ago, I added a CUC (4 red tip hermits, 1 emerald crab, 2 pep shrimp, 1 skunk cleaner shrimp, 3 cerith snails, 3 marg snails, and 6 nassarius snails) and 2 small ocellaris clownfish. Once I added livestock, I put Purigen in chamber 2 and ChemiPur in chamber 3 of the stock media basket. The stock sponge is in chamber 1.

Last night I started to notice some greening of the live rock, and small blotches of green on the sand. I never saw an outbreak of brown or red algae over the two weeks - could this be the third round of cycling algae? Or might it be from excess feeding of the clownfish ... they didn't really eat hardily for a couple of days. I've been feeding the clowns mysis or brine from a syringe - I spot feed them, only squirting a little bit in at a time. They tend to get most of it, but some does end up on the bottom, where the CUC seems to take care of it. I don't feel like I'm overfeeding, but I was feeding daily, and a couple of times I've fed twice per day.

I've dropped daylights from 11 hours/day to 9 hours/day, and I'm only going to feed the clowns every other day. Water parameter tests for this morning showed 0 nitrate, 0 nitrite, 0 ammonia, the water is crystal clear.

Does this sound like the right course of action to control the green?

I'm looking for opinions -
Do you think this green is the final stage of cycling, even though I didn't get brown or red stages?
Or from introducing livestock, and thus beginning feeding cycles?
Is there anything I could add to the CUC to combat the green?

It sounds like you are on the right track. What kind of algae is it? Filamentous? Generally all tanks are capable of growing any type of algae. Have you tested for phosphates? While the parameters of nitrate, nitrite, and ammonia may read zero algae thrives on phosphates.

I wouldn't be overly concerned with the algae - it could be a delayed diatom bloom as well. If anything you can do a small water change. Otherwise, it should run its course.

Invest in a phosphate test kit. If there are traces of phosphates, algae tends to grow considerably.

>120 Gallon Reef<

Unread 01/03/2014, 03:47 PM   #2591
Goldndoodle
Registered Member

Thanks for the feedback. I stopped at my LFS this afternoon - they were thinking phos as well. They told me to bring in a water sample next time and they would test for phos for me. They also told me to bring in a sample of my RO - they were thinking that might be the source of the phos ...

My LFS actually isn't so local - they're about 45 minutes from my house, but they're the closest (and cleanest) to me, and very near to a couple of my customers so I'm in their neighborhood frequently. In the meantime, they recommend some phos-floss to run in the 1st chamber of the media basket. I'll give that a shot with the limited time on the daylights, and every other day feeding schedule.

THANKS AGAIN!

Unread 01/03/2014, 04:48 PM   #2592
pleuralplexus
Registered Member

get some Phosban. The containers come with a nylon bag that you can fill and put in one of your chambers. Best investment you can make in ridding yourself of cyanobacteria and algae in my opinion.

Unread 01/07/2014, 10:14 AM   #2593
Goldndoodle
Registered Member

I've got ChemiPur Elite in the 3rd chamber. Unfortunately completely snowed in right now, no idea when I'm going to be able to get out of the house, or when UPS can get to me to deliver anything from Amazon ... so I can't run up to the local PetsMart or Pet Supplies Plus to grab some Phosban.

LFS did mention measuring total dissolved solids (TDS) of the RO water. I have a TDS meter that was included in a ZeroWater pitcher. I tested the RO and got a reading of 3ppm. LFS said anything under 20ppm should be fine, and to replace RO filters when it goes over 40ppm. Now going to check RO TDS with every water parameter check.

Unread 01/13/2014, 10:25 PM   #2594
pleuralplexus
Registered Member

Dunno man. My TDS reads zero. I have it inline past the deionizer resin chamber in my RODI filter...

Unread 01/13/2014, 10:32 PM   #2595
LedZep fan2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldndoodle View Post
I've got ChemiPur Elite in the 3rd chamber. Unfortunately completely snowed in right now, no idea when I'm going to be able to get out of the house, or when UPS can get to me to deliver anything from Amazon ... so I can't run up to the local PetsMart or Pet Supplies Plus to grab some Phosban.

LFS did mention measuring total dissolved solids (TDS) of the RO water. I have a TDS meter that was included in a ZeroWater pitcher. I tested the RO and got a reading of 3ppm. LFS said anything under 20ppm should be fine, and to replace RO filters when it goes over 40ppm. Now going to check RO TDS with every water parameter check.
Definitely want your TDS to measure zero - at least for a reef aquarium. If you recently changed the filters, look into maybe changing the membrane. Did you buy the unit used?

If anything, do a simple water change. That should help with the phosphates until you get your RO/DI water in check and some phosban or phosguard.

>120 Gallon Reef<

Unread 01/13/2014, 10:52 PM   #2596
snail_chen
Registered Member

My tank leaked after 2 years of use. I had to buy a new tank the same day. Yet I lost quite a few corals

snail_chen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2014, 02:47 AM   #2597
nysanman
Registered Member

ledzepfan great advice.. how long ago did you get your steves leds.. I just bought steve's led new retrofit with the typhoon controller that fits right into the hood I paid xtra to have it put together for me but seems worth it so far...gonna install it sometime this week..might need to ask a few questions on how to program the typhoon controller if you don't mind

nysanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2014, 06:26 PM   #2598
LedZep fan2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nysanman View Post
ledzepfan great advice.. how long ago did you get your steves leds.. I just bought steve's led new retrofit with the typhoon controller that fits right into the hood I paid xtra to have it put together for me but seems worth it so far...gonna install it sometime this week..might need to ask a few questions on how to program the typhoon controller if you don't mind

Glad I am able to help! I got them last summer (so give or take 7 months). I did the same as you and had the kit 95% completed - I did not want to risk screwing something up on my own so paying more for it wasn't a big deal.

Let me know if you have any questions and I'd be more than happy to answer them. The retrofit kit is great and I'd recommend it to anyone with an AIO system.

What kind of system do you have? The 12 or 28 gallon?

>120 Gallon Reef<

Unread 01/16/2014, 06:29 PM   #2599
LedZep fan2
Registered Member

Also.. Welcome to the Boards!

>120 Gallon Reef<

Unread 01/17/2014, 12:51 AM   #2600
nysanman
Registered Member

I have the 28g.. pretty much changed everything so far on the tank.. but to me that's what makes the tank fun for me. I put in a intank media basket , changed the return pumps Marineland Maxi-Jet PRO 1200. added 2 Hydor Koralia Nano 425 for more flow. I even changed the nozzles inside to tank to Hydor FLO Rotating Deflector they spin in circles to change the flow pretty cool..now Im gonna install the led kit.. am I missing anything to upgrade?? lol ledzep fan did you buy the led moonlight strips from steves led? trying to figure out where to put them?????

nysanman is offline   Reply With Quote