Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/09/2018, 01:30 PM   #26
lingwendil
Man who sold the world

Location: Oakley, behind enemy lines in communist occupied California.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oreo57 View Post
hmmm.. philosophical differences..
Never in favor of putting things near heat sources...
And modular is better..

Like still annoyed I need to buy an expensive wheel assembly for my truck as opposed to just getting a new cheap bearing..

but hey, diversity is the spice of life...

AND there def a lot of advantages to the idea..

Heck modular "sticks" have plenty of advantages if anyone EVER did it right..
Or didn't charge a fortune for the "luxury"...
Yeah, I'm generally not a huge fan of putting too much circuitry too close to other things that make too much heat, but in some instances it would be pretty useful, and the downsides would be pretty small. Maybe a modular approach with basic molex connectors or solderless terminals would be the best bet, with the drivers located on a separate, compact board? Easy enough to run twisted pairs from the drivers to the emitter boards this way, and maybe keep the onboard drivers for strip/linear applications, or small arrays intended for nano/refugium types of rigs? Taking an AI type approach with individual pucks all connected to a central driver board might be a neat way to go.

Idea-

Something like the StevesLEDs strips would be nice if they had a pair of drivers on one end, a couple inches from the emitters. It would be nice to have a simple, self contained strip this way, and could easily be passively cooled by a long strip heatsink or even some large U-channel... Would be fantastic for shallow canopies, refugiums, or display lighting for fish-only or retail setups... Or even just as an easy way to add supplemental or "fill-in" lighting. Route each channel so that you have the emitters spaced very closely to enhance color mixing, and it would probably work really well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyD16 View Post
Does anyone have the original gerber files for 02's board? or better yet that actual (looks like eagle?) project file?
I'm not sure if he ever posted those particular layouts publicly, unfortunately. If he did, at least, I can't seem to find them.

Unread 08/09/2018, 02:44 PM   #27
oreo57
Registered Member

Drivers on the end of strips .. like this size?
LOL

2.6 x 0.7 inches.....

Actually one far fetched idea is still have seperate drivers but strips w/ a trade in program...
Now you are even beating tubes that are swappable but have very little resale value..

it's amazing how people get close.. Like Orphek but one channel and "sort of" crappy drivers..
Or some LED's w/ swappable bars (constnt voltage) that are low powered overpriced and ,oddly, are way too small for the fixture..
i know they want to upsell the programmed ones but a port is more "linear" than disruptive.

Another baffling thing .. is why "black box" LED's never incorporate a separate "port" for an external signal..

This has nothing to do w/ anything, but awhile back the Chinese were selling controllers like the TC-420 w/ an internal 5v PWM connect.
no need to "hack" one.
now.. nowhere to be found..

Last edited by oreo57; 08/09/2018 at 02:58 PM.
oreo57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/23/2018, 11:09 AM   #28
theatrus
100-mile-commuter

Missed this thread -oops

I had a prolonged family health emergency which put me out of action for awhile. Back and running with blueAcro now and crunching through a rush of orders.

Current Tank Info: 90g SPS+mixed reef (10 yrs): LEDBrick LEDs, 40g custom sump, Ca reactor, chiller, Vortech, lots of custom electronics
theatrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/23/2018, 11:10 AM   #29
saf1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatrus View Post
Missed this thread -oops

I had a prolonged family health emergency which put me out of action for awhile. Back and running with blueAcro now and crunching through a rush of orders.
Hope all is well with you and yours - that takes priority.

Side note - I placed my order this morning

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon mixed reef
saf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/23/2018, 12:54 PM   #30
oreo57
Registered Member

Welcome back!!! Hope everything is back in order...

oreo57 is offline   Reply With Quote