Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/18/2017, 10:08 PM   #1
Saletscher
Registered Member

Can't get my dogface puffer to eat!!

2 weeks ago I purchased about a 2 inch dogface puffer from my local fish store. He is in an aggressive tank with a humus trigger, a fox face, a Christmas wrasse and a diamond goby. I can't get him to eat, he won't go for mysis. He recently developed ick and I am treating the whole tank with copper as it is a fish only tank no inverts, he's showing signs of improvement but still not eating. Any suggestions? What will he go for?

Saletscher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/18/2017, 11:23 PM   #2
cougareyes
Registered Member

When I get a new fish that wont eat, I will try something live. For a fish like a puffer, I'd try ghost shrimp, all your other fish are going to go nuts too. Copper will also diminish their appetite, so that's a problem. My puffer goes nuts for clams on the half shell,

Current Tank Info: 210g fowlr: yellow belly dogface puffer, harlequin tusk, pinktail and pair of bluejaw triggers, majestic angel, orange shoulder and scopus tangs. one spot fox: 90g lps reef with an antennata , zebra and fuzzy dwarf, fu manchu lions, yellow mimic tang
cougareyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/18/2017, 11:48 PM   #3
sappho
Registered Member

Mine wouldn't eat in the beginning either. I found that teasing him with something meaty is more likely to get him to eat. Even though he's just a little guy he's still got a serious bite so you can give him something a bit tougher like shrimp (and keep your fingers back of course). Mine seems to need to see the food before he will go after it.
Also I've found my puffer easily intimidated (even by much smaller fish) so it might really help to move him to a QT. A stronger current seemed to make him more active as well. Before he'd just sit depressed in a corner.
Keep teasing him, he'll eventually eat.

sappho is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/19/2017, 03:37 AM   #4
tkiry1
Registered Member

Krill or jumbo mysis usually has done the trick.. Ghost shrimp as well.. And also fresh seafood from the market.. Trying putting the garlic on their food as well...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tkiry1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/19/2017, 11:02 AM   #5
humaguy
Premium Member

def. keep an eye on the copper, puffers are sensitive to it, both over time and level. agree with clam on half shell, also try a large raw shrimp, shell on, esp the piece just above tail. good luck they are great fish, tk

humaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/19/2017, 11:36 PM   #6
Gone Tidepoolin
Registered Member

My Toby puffer won't eat mysis,or silversides.
Fearing he would die, I went to Safeway and bought liv mussels and little neck clams. I cracked the shells open and dropped them in.He immediately started to tear them up.
Maybe it will work for your guy! Good luck

Gone Tidepoolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/20/2017, 09:48 PM   #7
vincent_arnao
Registered Member

Try to put garlic on the food u feed them. I had that same problem.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

vincent_arnao is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/20/2017, 09:50 PM   #8
vincent_arnao
Registered Member

Live brine shrimp is also goods

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

vincent_arnao is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dogface puffer, fish only tank, not eating