Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/28/2006, 05:02 AM   #1
the7ferret
Registered Member

Porcupine Puffer Behavior

My puffer is acting a little odd.

During the day he camps out on the rock looking around and everything. He comes out to feed and does a good job of chewing the shrimp up. Then goes right back to his little cave.

At night he comes out, tries to eat the few hermits I have in the tank, (hes only 2" long) and slowly swims around.

Seems normal untill

Every once and a while he will go up to the filter screen on my MJ powerheads and just sorta get stuck by the flow. Its low enough from him to get off but its like he is a lazy puffer and dosent want to swim so he uses the powerhead to hold him in place.

Its just silly I tell ya.

the7ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/28/2006, 09:10 AM   #2
civicss1
Registered Member

my puffer does the same thing...he will hide during the day..come out once in a while...eat then hide...at nite hes out and swimming ..looking at the LR ..its weird i don't know why but i hope like you that its normal...

civicss1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/28/2006, 08:17 PM   #3
Lakeside518
Clownfish

My Pork is pretty active. Although some days he is mellow and take a lazy day and lay about the LR. Anytime someone approaches the tank he is all but Lazy. Always greats and gets excited. Typical behavor for a puffer. How does yours act when you approach?

At nite time they are said to be more active/ nocturnal.

Always watch their behavor and skin conditions. They are prone to Ich. I have treated mine once so far.

Mine is a good 6 to 6 1/2" long. He's a good size. Great fish Defin. attached to him. Wish tank was a reef, but ahh well not parting with my Puffer.

What are U feeding him? They like a mixed diet

Current Tank Info: 65 gal, LED lighting, Reef octopus 2000 HOB skimmer, Eheim G160 canister,Tunze nano 6055 w/ controller
Lakeside518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/01/2006, 09:50 AM   #4
sphelps
Premium Member

Sounds normal to me, my porcupine puffer likes to swim into tubes that are sucking in water, once he swam into the sump return line when I turn the pump off, he got sucked in and then puffed up. It took a couple hours to get him out of that one. Then another time I was siphoning water out the tank and he went for the tube, this time it wasn't big enough for him to fit in but he stilled puffed when he got stuck to the tube.

sphelps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/02/2006, 05:22 AM   #5
the7ferret
Registered Member

Bit of everything,
Mysis, Krill, Plankton, Emerald Entree, Angel & Butterfly.
He eats fine,

He is the cutest thing, and very socialble.

Its just odd that he hangs out on the pump inputs.

the7ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/11/2006, 10:34 PM   #6
indoreefer
Registered Member

Not exactly talking about strange behavior, but can 2 porcupine puffers be in the same tank? I had one, and someone was getting rid of another one, so I got him, but once they noticed each other they are chasing each other, and it almost looks like they are trying to bite each other. Do I need to put them in different tanks?
Help!!!!!
Daniel

indoreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/05/2019, 02:44 PM   #7
simonssymfony
Registered Member

2 puffers in the same tank

I had thought about getting 2 puffers but was told they will fight unless you have themin a 300 gallon tank or bigger

simonssymfony is offline   Reply With Quote