Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/30/2019, 04:58 PM   #1
77bandit
Registered Member

Please advise re remaining equipment for 400gal

So, again, my tank is 10'x30"x30"(400+gallons) and viewed on both sides with 8"x15" overflows at the center of each end.
I really wanted EcoTech 40's on both sides of each overflow, but the magnet doesn't feel like it's gonna hold long term(at least when it's empty)and I really don't think I have the room for the larger 60's on the dry side.
So, I'm thinking of 4 Neptune WAV's in their place.
I'll have a large sump w/skimmer and room for topoff, reactors, other equipment on one side of the stand and a large refugium at the other end of the stand. I'll tie them together up high just so that the whole system is one in case of emergency overflow, etc.
I'll have 1.5" durso overflows in each box and I have 2 3/4" return pipes in each box(should have done 1" but too late).
I plan on LPS and softies with moderate fish load and a 1.5" sand bed and a lot of rock.
I'd like suggestions/advice for the following, please:
1.Lighting:I'm thinking 4 EcoTech XR30wG4's.
2.Powerheads(Neptune WAV's as mentioned above-2 at each end.)
3.Skimmer:I never used one on my 180 that was stocked similarly many years ago. I just had a large sump w/refugium and did infrequent water changes back then-got lucky I guess.
a. Nyos300
b. Reef Octopus models:
Regal 300 INT
DC 300 SSS
SRO 5000(or 6000)SSS
c. Simplicity 800DC
(not sure if I need it to have a controller or not)
4.Controller:Neptune was around when I left the hobby, so I'm thinking
APEX, but I've never used any controller at all.
5.Return pumps:
a. EcoTech Vectra series(1 or the new 2's)
1 L1(or M1)in the sump and one in the refugium split to the returns
2 M1's in sump and 2 in refugium
b. Neptune COR20's 1(or 2) in sump and 1(or 2) in refugium
c. ?Abyzz?(just found these)-crazy expensive-anyone with any
experience with them?
6.Calcium reactor-I have no idea; do I need one or should I just wait and see
and add it later if need be?
7.Carbon/GFO reactors-again, no idea;one, both, neither yet?

All comments are greatly appreciated

77bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/30/2019, 05:12 PM   #2
Adamc1303
Registered Member

For the powerhead you should take a look at Tunze. They are the most reliable, maintenance free pumps and they have some extremely powerful models in smaller footprints.

Unread 03/31/2019, 09:49 PM   #3
o2manyfish
Registered Member

You definitely need to step up your equipment choices.

My current tank is 93x33x29.

I'm running 8 Radions and could easily use 10. I'm planning for a 10' x 4' and would be looking at 15+ Radions.

The WAV's are a waste. They are great out of the box, but in a year you will be replacing them. With (1) Panta Rhei 63 you can move all the water in that tank. Add a few of the Tunze Stream 3's inside your aquascape - The new Tunze 3 are awesome - No Maintenance - Just shove them in a hole and forget about them.

The Abyzz pumps are like no other. I have been working with them for 5+ years. Haven't seen 1 fail. They move more water than any other pump - Silent - Zero Heat Transfer. To find out if the pump is on you need to listen to the water in the pipe.

I am running a pair of Abyzz pumps - I just picked up the Abyzz/Apex interface and I like the way it works - It's simple they claim their is a new version in the works.

Neptune Cor Pumps... Skip -- Vectra L1 (I have had good luck with the v1) the v2 are on the way. Or if you have the funds get the smaller Abyzz A100s.

Dave B

Current Tank Info: 560g SPS Dominant Reef / 1500g Total System
o2manyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/01/2019, 09:32 PM   #4
77bandit
Registered Member

thanks for the input...anyone else?

Unread 04/01/2019, 09:59 PM   #5
77bandit
Registered Member

should I get 2 Abyzz a100's to split off to the 2 3/4" returns at each end or bump ut to 2 Abyzz a200's to split off?

Unread 04/01/2019, 10:11 PM   #6
acesq
Registered Member

Dave's suggestions are on point for the best of the best.

You definitely need more Radions if you want to grow corals.

For less money and less warranty but almost equal performance than the Abyzz 200, look at the Royal Exclusive RD3 230W pumps for your return and sump pumps. If you want non-controllable, look at the Sicce HF 12 or 16. The Vectras are pretty good pumps but they do not handle back pressure well at all.

For in tank flow, the Tunzes are great if you don't want to spend on the Panta's.

For skimmer, there's a Bubble King SM300 for sale on the So Cal Forum that would work well for you.

You need a controller. I've used Apex since 2010. Works well for me. Others like the GHL Profilux, which are a bit pricier.

If you are going to grow corals, eventually you'll want to get a calcium reactor. Two part dosing on a tank that large gets expensive and takes alot of work mixing chemicals.

And get a couple of reactors for carbon and gfo. The brs dual reactors are easy to plumb and maintain.

Unread 04/01/2019, 10:15 PM   #7
acesq
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77bandit View Post
should I get 2 Abyzz a100's to split off to the 2 3/4" returns at each end or bump ut to 2 Abyzz a200's to split off?
What size pipe are you running for the returns? If its 3/4" all the way, I would increase that to at least 1". 1.5" would be better. How much flow do you want through your sump?

Unread 04/05/2019, 04:52 PM   #8
77bandit
Registered Member

Well, about the returns, I'm stuck with 2 3/4" at both ends in the overflows. I just can't see a good way to change them now. I wish I would have planned that better.
Although, I have considered using my 1.5" drain as a return at each end.
That would leave me with a 1.5" durso drain at each end and 2 3/4" emergency returns in ea overflow.
Think that would work?

Unread 04/07/2019, 09:02 PM   #9
acesq
Registered Member

I think it would be risky to have 3/4” emergency drains.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Unread 04/07/2019, 11:24 PM   #10
o2manyfish
Registered Member

I would take a different approach than Art (ACESQ).

I would use the large pipes and skip the emergency drain. Instead plan to install float switches in the overflow - If the water ever rises because of a clogged drainline then you could either slow or stop the flow pumps.

Take a look at the new eKoral Ekore controller. It's got an amazing ultrasonic water level sensor that mounts above the water line. Super accurate and never needs a cleaning.

Dave B

Current Tank Info: 560g SPS Dominant Reef / 1500g Total System
o2manyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/08/2019, 12:40 PM   #11
acesq
Registered Member

Dave, you have more faith than I in technology. The Old Gods (Murphy, gravity and volume) will always have their say!!

I use a Herbie and to get it completely quiet I keep the water level in the overflow box right up to the emergency drain which is within an inch of the top of the box. If the main drain clogs (has never happened, but ....), I’ll need a full size emergency drain to take over completely. I’d be hard pressed to put my faith in a level switch.

But for redundancy I keep my return pump in a section of the sump that will run dry after pumping 5-6 gallons if the drains clog. My tank can handle that without overflowing.

Unread 04/08/2019, 02:20 PM   #12
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

How thick are the tank walls? If 3/4", MP40s should hold (just be sure to secure the dryside). The bigger problem is that they just don't penetrate that far into the tank - certainly not to 5 feet. Agree that four G4 30's probably won't cut it. If softies and LPS are your goal, you don't need to go crazy, but I'd be planning for at least one for every 2 feet - so start with 5 versus 4. Vectra does struggle with back pressure, though from a stand-based sump through 1 1/2" return line the L1 would give you plenty of flow. I personally think the price on the abyzz is just insane (RD is less, but still high) so I wouldn't spend for it.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/09/2019, 08:35 PM   #13
77bandit
Registered Member

Thanks again for all the input.

As far as drains/emergency drains, again, I do have 2 1.5" and 2 3/4" holes in each of 2 overlfow boxes-again, one at each end of the tank.

If I did use 1 1.5" durso at each end and 1 1.5" return at each end, I'd have a total of 4 3/4" emergency drains-still not enough?

And, like I said, I have thought about going wit 4 return pumps-2 at each end directly below the overflow boxes-one in the sump and one in the refugium.
I've considered all pumps that have 3/4" outs, including the smaller RD3 50 1300 gph Red Dragons.

Also, after reading all posts, I'll probably get 6(maybe more later) EcoTech radions-one turned running front to back in front of each overflow box, and then 4 running side to side(in 2 rows) in between those.

Any more input is still greatly appreciated.

Bad idea?