Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/12/2013, 09:22 AM   #1
HumbleFish
Moved On

QT Mandarin

I've got a pair of Mandarins coming in tomorrow, and would like to get some opinions regarding my planned QT protocol for them.

I have a 20L QT ready to go (with a "seeded" sponge in a HOB). I figure I'll first treat them with the prerequisite two rounds of Prazi. But after that, I'm unsure what to do next. I could:

- Say 10 days is enough observation time for Ich and put them in the DT
- Treat with Chloroquine Phosphate
- Run them thru tank transfer

I think copper probably isn't the best idea for dragonets and quite frankly, I don't trust hypo.

Obviously my main concern is getting them into my pod rich DT ASAP. I've got some Nutramar Ova, frozen brine/mysis, but these Mandarins are NOT ORA so I don't know if they'll eat frozen. Thoughts? Suggestions??

HumbleFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2013, 10:52 AM   #2
MrTuskfish
Registered Member

I'm not an expert on mandarins; so some of my usual drivel will sound wishy-washy. The folks I would ask for mandarin advice would all agree with your decision not to use copper (I assume) , and I don't trust hypo either.

Good plan to QT the Mandarin, many folks would skip it.

Mandarins are like little blobs of Jell-o; their slime coats give them a lot of protection from parasites. many folks think they are immune to ich, they aren't. They can still carry ich in their gills, which is a favorite target of ich.

IMO & IMO; six weeks is minimum QT time. Two weeks isn't even one whole life cycle. Tank Transfer will take care of the ich. I am just starting to use CP (on other peoples fish, for now). I assume your reason for using both CP & TT is to prevent/kill velvet and brooklynella. These parasites should become obvious, if they are there, within the 6 weeks of QT. I have no idea if mandarins are sensetive to CP. If you plan to use CP, I hope you have it now, its tough to get; but there is a source listed on the disease forum. I'd also use Prazi-Pro, a very safe wormer, while the fish is in QT. Monitor ammonia often.

How long has your sponge been seeding and is it by itself in a fishless QT now and how did you seed it originally ? If so, are you "feeding" it?

Again, I'm no mandarin expert, but I would get the fish eating in the QT before starting any treatment. Another big plus for always using a QT: fish will learn to eat faster, without all the mayhem, bullies, and food competitors in the DT. You can buy pods online or in many LFS. I would never introduce any fish pre-maturly. Even if it wasn't feeding. Harsh? I guess; but for me, there just wouldn't be a choice.

Steve

Current Tank Info: 180, 2-240 FOWLRs, 240 reef
MrTuskfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2013, 11:25 AM   #3
HumbleFish
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTuskfish View Post
I assume your reason for using both CP & TT is to prevent/kill velvet and brooklynella. These parasites should become obvious, if they are there, within the 6 weeks of QT. I have no idea if mandarins are sensetive to CP. If you plan to use CP, I hope you have it now, its tough to get; but there is a source listed on the disease forum. I'd also use Prazi-Pro, a very safe wormer, while the fish is in QT. Monitor ammonia often.
First, thank you for the response. You were one of the folks I was hoping would chime in. I was planning on either CP or TT after Prazi. I'm just not sure which option would be best for them. I haven't owned a Mandarin in years, and the pod population in my DT is just now starting to reach abundant levels. And yes, I have CP on hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTuskfish View Post
How long has your sponge been seeding and is it by itself in a fishless QT now and how did you seed it originally ? If so, are you "feeding" it?
The sponge has been seeding in my DT sump for two months now. I don't plan on moving it over to the QT HOB until tomorrow morning, just before the shipment is expected to arrive.

HumbleFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mandarin, quarantine