Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/05/2020, 06:45 AM   #1
grtmmt
Registered Member

Upgrading to bigger tank questions

I am moving from a 155 bow front to a 240 gallon. I am keeping existing 110 gallon sump which is behind the wall. Also connected to the same sump is a 30 gallon frag tank and a separate sump just for the protein skimmer. My plan is to move the corals , fish, livestock and live rock all to the sump. Then put my new tank in the same spot as my old tank. So my question is do I immediately connect the plumbing to my sump and put the live rock corals and fish into new tank or wait as the new tank will need to cycle?

Current Tank Info: 155 gallon bowfront
grtmmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/05/2020, 08:46 AM   #2
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

You should plan on saving as much water as possible allowing for a quicker transition.
I would say you will be able to aquascape, fill with all the water you have & add the fish & corals. Powerheads & a heater will allow you to run the new tank while plumbing everything back together. Frag tank should have a small pump to keep water circulating unless you empty the frags to the new tank. Make enough new water & add after everything is plumbed, Plenty of time that way & no cycle.

Unread 10/05/2020, 09:02 AM   #3
grtmmt
Registered Member

Thanks I will need to buy some bins to save the water.

Unread 10/05/2020, 12:59 PM   #4
LefkoNJ
Registered Member

If you keep as much of the water as possible and use the same rock, there should not be a cycle event. There may be some stressed out fish but overall you should be able to do the move and get going very quickly.

It would be like a large water change

LefkoNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/05/2020, 01:32 PM   #5
grtmmt
Registered Member

Thank you!!

Unread 10/06/2020, 05:23 PM   #6
vlangel
Registered Member

I have also upgraded to bigger tanks saving water and rock without a problem. I would dose seachem stability to help with die off of some of the biological filter but never had more than just a minimum of ammonia that cleared in a week or so. You can do a water change if the ammonia gets a bit high.

Genesis 1:20 -

Current Tank Info: A 56 gallon naural nutrient macro reef that flows into a 30 gallon fuge with macros/seagrass that flows into a 20 gallon sump.
vlangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/17/2020, 06:48 AM   #7
RioReefr
Registered Member

IMO, there is still going to be a mini-cycle as the nitrifying bacteria need to grow in the surface area of the new tank. At some point everything had balanced out based on 155G and now going to 240G, a 60% increase. It will take some time for that bacteria to grow on the glass and walls. It might be a few days or possibly a week, but it definitely wont happen instantly. After a few days, I wouldn't be surprised if you might see some cloudy water so monitor your Nitrites levels. If I were you, you can do it -- but use some Stability/Prime to get over that initial hump. It is cheap and effective.

RioReefr is offline   Reply With Quote