Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/31/2020, 03:02 PM   #26
ThRoewer
Registered Member

If the fish eats medicated food it shouldn't be necessary to dose the water.

Did you see any aggression from the emperor?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/31/2020, 03:08 PM   #27
ThRoewer
Registered Member

It can still be stress. But the intestinal parasites can be the trigger.
All you can do is tackle one problem after the other.
If the erratic behavior goes away with the white stringy poo then you will know.
If it persists then the search for the cause has to continue.

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
Unread 03/31/2020, 03:12 PM   #28
flamehawk2
Registered Member

He’s not eating so should I dose the water? If so with what? Thx

Remember the three f's -family,friends and fish!

Current Tank Info: 625g (water volume) custom semi reef w/166g refugium/sump.
flamehawk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/31/2020, 04:09 PM   #29
flamehawk2
Registered Member

There’s less than .25ppm copper in the DT tank. However the emperor is glass surfing terribly. Beginning to think all have parasites which is likely as they all eat others feces occasionally.....anyway they are all getting treatment now. At least in the emperors case, He’s eating and can be fed the med.

Unread 03/31/2020, 04:18 PM   #30
ThRoewer
Registered Member

If the fish is not eating, medicating the water is your only choice. Saltwater fish have to drink constantly to osmoregulate so medicating the water is an effective measure.

White stringy poo can be caused by stress, intestinal bacterial infection, and secondary infections due to intestinal parasites.

Metronidazole and Praziquantel should treat the bacteria and possible intestinal worms. API General Cure contains both of these in the right ratio. If you don't have it or can't get it locally it should be available online but delivery may take a week or two. Maybe reach out on your local forum if some reefer near you has some to spare.

Unread 03/31/2020, 04:21 PM   #31
flamehawk2
Registered Member

Thank you. I do have Général cure which is my go to for this kind of ailment. I might take the emperor out and treat also...He’s [anic surfing now....

Unread 03/31/2020, 05:41 PM   #32
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Well, at least that way they get to know each other on neutral ground...

BTW, if you think something might be off in your display it might be a good idea to do a larger water change (but only if you are confident that your RO water and salt are OK).
I would also discontinue the use of copper in the display. Copper is an immunosuppressant that may do more harm than good with long term exposure.

Unread 03/31/2020, 07:42 PM   #33
flamehawk2
Registered Member

Ive done 2-70% water changes and have taken most of the copper out of the display. Now at .25 ppm. Currently Running TL resin and poly filter to pull out rest. The original treatment was 2.00ppm of copper power for 30 days. All fish clear and looking very good. No intention of running copper in DT going forward. I know that it will leach from the rock and sand for some time so expect to keep running resin and Poly to keep it at or close to 0. Thx,

Last edited by flamehawk2; 04/01/2020 at 11:55 AM.
Unread 04/01/2020, 11:56 AM   #34
flamehawk2
Registered Member

So Goldflake still wont eat. I’m going to try some more today and if he doesn’t eat agin, I will Dogus the tank with GC. ANy other isles how to get him to eat?

Unread 04/01/2020, 12:27 PM   #35
ThRoewer
Registered Member

If the fish is not looking for food it will be difficult to make it eat. Force-feeding would be the only alternative, but that is not easily done by someone without the proper training - I tried it before and it didn't end well.

The only thing you can do at this point is to try to resolve the underlying cause. I would start with the treatment against intestinal parasites and infections and see what happens.

Unread 04/01/2020, 01:20 PM   #36
flamehawk2
Registered Member

I did start the GC regimen earlier today. Its interesting because he is looking for food. He actually approaches it with some Luke warm enthusiasm and then either veers away or takes it and spits it out. Its like he wants to eat it but he can’t....

Unread 04/01/2020, 04:05 PM   #37
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Wait a day or two and then try again. If you can get some live food like Tigger Pods or Mysis it would be worth trying. Since you are in Florida it shouldn't be too hard to find or order as almost all the farms are around there. I know Aquaculture Nursery just had/has a sale.

Unread 04/02/2020, 11:29 AM   #38
flamehawk2
Registered Member

I’ve been observing him more closely and now realize that he is having some difficulty with buoyancy. He’s doing backward upside down circles and swimming sideways allot. He was also doing some of this in the DT but now its much more noticeable. I’ve not heard of saltwater angels getting swim bladder disease but could it have been as a result of bringing him up too fast when collecting especially because he is a deep water species? What can I do to cure him of this potential ailment?

Last edited by flamehawk2; 04/02/2020 at 11:35 AM.
Unread 04/02/2020, 01:05 PM   #39
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Decompression issues would be worst shortly after collection. Weeks or even months later it should not be an issue anymore. Affected fish would have succumbed to it or recovered by then.
If it only started a good while after you got the fish then it is more likely a symptom of an ongoing disease or infection.

Unread 04/02/2020, 01:51 PM   #40
flamehawk2
Registered Member

My estimate is that it has been approx 3 months since he was collected.

Unread 04/02/2020, 02:23 PM   #41
ThRoewer
Registered Member

You should have seen abnormal swimming pattern when you bought it if it was a decompression issue.
If it only started relatively recently you can scratch decompression off the list.

Unread 04/03/2020, 07:26 AM   #42
flamehawk2
Registered Member

Still not eating. Spits pellet or any food out immediately I may have to force feed with syringe so he can get some nutrition and meds.

Unread 04/03/2020, 12:48 PM   #43
ThRoewer
Registered Member

A syringe just in the mouth doesn't work. The food will just come out of the gills.
You would need to use a tube to get the food into the fish's stomach. And that is pretty tricky business.

Unread 04/03/2020, 04:04 PM   #44
flamehawk2
Registered Member

I wont even try the tube to the stomach....too many potential bad outcomes. While I understand that allot of the food will some out gills I will try to see if at least he swallows some of it and also will be trying to get some meds in there. He’s going to pass otherwise so might as well give it a try....thx. This is so disheartening and certainly demotivating part of the hobby....

Unread 04/03/2020, 05:14 PM   #45
ThRoewer
Registered Member

I went through that with a Red Sea Regal Angel from Diver's Den. Despite never taking a bite it lasted 7 weeks. I decided to try force feeding but it took over 2 weeks to get everything I needed: syringes, small enough catheter tubing, liquid high energy food, anesthetics for fish, a couple of goldfish for practice,...
In the end it was all for nothing and the fish passed away. Quite likely my lack of fish intubation skills accelerated its demise. I might have better just given it an overdose of the anesthetics to end its suffering.

But as long as your fish is still looking for food or reacting to feedings not all hope is lost.

Unread 04/03/2020, 05:47 PM   #46
flamehawk2
Registered Member

Sorry about the loss of your regal. I have heard they are often tough to get eating and have never tried one myself. This GF is also from divers den. He was eating fine when I first got him. He stopped after being in DT with all the other tangs and angels and going thru about 3 weeks of copper. So we know he will eat in captivity. Now he is on his 2nd dose of GC. In 48 hours I’m suppose to do a 25% water change and then see. I’m just afraid he may starve before that....Fingers crossed as he is still very active...surfing and at least does show interest in eating until he spits it out or moves away at last minute when approaching the food. I did order some live food that s/b coming soon......thx for all your suggestions. We are certainly giving it all we got!

Unread 04/03/2020, 06:28 PM   #47
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamehawk2 View Post
Sorry about the loss of your regal. I have heard they are often tough to get eating and have never tried one myself. This GF is also from divers den. He was eating fine when I first got him. He stopped after being in DT with all the other tangs and angels and going thru about 3 weeks of copper. So we know he will eat in captivity. Now he is on his 2nd dose of GC. In 48 hours I’m suppose to do a 25% water change and then see. I’m just afraid he may starve before that....Fingers crossed as he is still very active...surfing and at least does show interest in eating until he spits it out or moves away at last minute when approaching the food. I did order some live food that s/b coming soon......thx for all your suggestions. We are certainly giving it all we got!
Did you contact them right away when he started the glass-surfing while in QT?

Also, did you try live foods?

Unread 04/03/2020, 07:12 PM   #48
flamehawk2
Registered Member

He was eating well and was very active so by time i contacted them it was after the 14 days.....no live foods yet...

Unread 04/05/2020, 10:43 AM   #49
flamehawk2
Registered Member

I’ve has mixed results with divers den livestock. They’ve always stood behind their guarantee if something does manifest itself w/in the 14 days. When i received the GF I actually sent them a note raving about how well he looked and that he ate right away. Sometimes whatever might be the issue takes time to manifest. 2 things now appear possible ....he has bad case of internal parasites causing him real problems and/or the copper poisoned him and having trouble getting it out of his system....either way he’s being treated for both with a combo of GC/metro in the water colum and if he ever starts eating will add fbenazole to food.....still hasn’t eaten and cant find any live food anywhere. Mail order not till next wk.

Unread 04/05/2020, 02:28 PM   #50
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Where was this fish collected?
The eating well at first and then stopping within a few weeks can be parasites but it can also be liver damage due to cyanide fishing, something that is unfortunately still going on in Indonesia.