Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/06/2009, 07:07 PM   #1
alyfrudakis
Registered Member

Question cycling

hello, i am trying to find out how to cycle a tank and i had a few questions i couldn't find myself.

do you have to have a specific type of water to cycle with? is tap ok?

when can you introduce fish to help cycle?

and does the size of the tank effect how long the cycle is?

alyfrudakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/06/2009, 07:21 PM   #2
thegrun
Registered Member

1. Salt water made from RO/DI water or bought pre-mixed. Tap water will add all kinds of things you do not want in the water and end up causing algae blooms amounst other problems.
2. You need to wait until after the cycle to introduce fish, it is cruel to make them endure ammonia poisoning that is likely to kill them. If you want to speed things along, add a dead raw shrimp to the tank, but the cycle is most likely going to take 4-6 weeks. Spend the time reading up on the hobby to help you avoid costly and frustrating mistakes.
3. No, the size does not effect the durartion of the cycle assuming a proportional amount of live rock is used.

thegrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/06/2009, 07:22 PM   #3
lReef_lKeeper
lReef lKeeper

^^^ what he said ^^^

40 Breeder, 20 long sump, Bubble Magus Curve 5, EcoTech Radion XR30w and XR15w G3 Pro, ReefKeeper Lite
lReef_lKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/07/2009, 12:06 PM   #4
alyfrudakis
Registered Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegrun View Post
1. Salt water made from RO/DI water or bought pre-mixed. Tap water will add all kinds of things you do not want in the water and end up causing algae blooms amounst other problems.
2. You need to wait until after the cycle to introduce fish, it is cruel to make them endure ammonia poisoning that is likely to kill them. If you want to speed things along, add a dead raw shrimp to the tank, but the cycle is most likely going to take 4-6 weeks. Spend the time reading up on the hobby to help you avoid costly and frustrating mistakes.
3. No, the size does not effect the durartion of the cycle assuming a proportional amount of live rock is used.
thanks for the information!

alyfrudakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/07/2009, 12:13 PM   #5
wooden_reefer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alyfrudakis View Post

First, you DO NOT introduce fish to help cycle. You first cycle and then welcome your fish to an ammonia and nitrite free environment.

Second, the size of the tank only has marginal impact on the time of cycle. May be just a few days. The more volume of water vs the same nitrification bacteria population means just slightly longer time for ammonia and nitrite to rise to a high concentration and then drop to zero. 1 ppm N Ammonia in 100 gals of water has twice the ammonia of 1 ppm in 50 gals; the same number of bacteria will take just a bit longer to process 100 gals of 1 ppm.

wooden_reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/07/2009, 01:25 PM   #6
upster
Registered Member

+2 some good advise here.

Just upgraded to a 58g Oceanic and the only thing I broke was the old tank.
upster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/07/2009, 02:04 PM   #7
Michael
NTTH Rookie Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by alyfrudakis View Post
hello, i am trying to find out how to cycle a tank and i had a few questions i couldn't find myself.

when you introduce water to your tank its best to start monitoring ammonia and nitrite, and in most cases but not all cases you will see them rise, ammonia first and then a week or so later the nitrite, eventually ammonia and nitrite will fall and nitrate will become evident and this will start to rise, when ammonia and nitrite have been 0 for several days do a 25% water change and then you can introduce some snails. however some times if live rock which has been cycled elsewhere is introduced its very unlikely you will witness anything at all, the key imo is testing and only then will you know whats happening.

MY Very Kindest and Warmest Regards ,
MIKE

Current Tank Info: I have a 92 gal Corner Tank, and way too many pieces of equipment to list really, (proud member of the reef central corner club)
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/07/2009, 03:33 PM   #8
Blownsvt
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
when you introduce water to your tank its best to start monitoring ammonia and nitrite, and in most cases but not all cases you will see them rise, ammonia first and then a week or so later the nitrite, eventually ammonia and nitrite will fall and nitrate will become evident and this will start to rise, when ammonia and nitrite have been 0 for several days do a 25% water change and then you can introduce some snails. however some times if live rock which has been cycled elsewhere is introduced its very unlikely you will witness anything at all, the key imo is testing and only then will you know whats happening.
i am thinking that is the boat i am in. I moved LR from someone elses tank immediatly into mine with only a seperation of a few hours during which time the rock was in a bin of saltwater from his tank. its been in my tank for 6 days now and my ammonia and nitrites are still at 0.

Blownsvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/07/2009, 03:36 PM   #9
Michael
NTTH Rookie Help

you have already introduced cycled media into your water, i doubt you will see a spike at all, just keep monitoring for a few days, id add some snails if no readings after a week or so as the dreaded diatoms will probably show its face

MIKE

Current Tank Info: I have a 92 gal Corner Tank, and way too many pieces of equipment to list really, (proud member of the reef central corner club)
Unread 10/07/2009, 03:36 PM   #10
wooden_reefer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blownsvt View Post
i am thinking that is the boat i am in. I moved LR from someone elses tank immediatly into mine with only a seperation of a few hours during which time the rock was in a bin of saltwater from his tank. its been in my tank for 6 days now and my ammonia and nitrites are still at 0.
A major percentage of nitrification remains intact.

Some is loss not due to death of bacteria on the LR. It is because a lot of bacteria in the old tank do not live on LR. There are many substrates for bacteria that are not transfered, typically.

wooden_reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/07/2009, 03:53 PM   #11
Blownsvt
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
you have already introduced cycled media into your water, i doubt you will see a spike at all, just keep monitoring for a few days, id add some snails if no readings after a week or so as the dreaded diatoms will probably show its face
tested again today. my ph was a little low but the ammonia, nitrites,nitrates are all still reading 0 ppm.

Blownsvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/07/2009, 03:58 PM   #12
Michael
NTTH Rookie Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blownsvt View Post
tested again today. my ph was a little low but the ammonia, nitrites,nitrates are all still reading 0 ppm.
proviing the ph isnt below 7.8-7.9 and stable, i wouldnt worry too much at the moment

MIKE

Tags
alicia, cycling, fish, tank, tanks