Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/19/2017, 07:11 PM   #51
ComforablyNumb
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stolireef View Post
I do dose two part and everything is on a controller. But, really the controller is there to do things I don't like to do.
I must confess...I have the kessil spectral controller on my lights. I sometimes keep irregular hrs and that thing keeps my lights and coral photoperiod regular. It would not be disaster if it failed (thats another reason I use it), but with some other things.. like even a sump, its pump or its seams.. or an ato, those things CAN wipe out a tank.
I am also reconsidering using kalk in my top off water (very simple procedure)..but I will never use an ato again. Or if you do, make sure it cannot draw enough water to change all your tank parameters if it fails to shut off, cause an overflo, etc

The other most common wipeout cause is a failed heater. That is why I replace mine every two yrs regardless. I have a small Blue Bird overheat protection unit on mine. They are about $35 and cheap backup against over heating. Or you can use two smaller heaters. That mitigates the overheat risk somewhat as well. But only somewhat.

Last edited by ComforablyNumb; 07/19/2017 at 07:29 PM.
ComforablyNumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/19/2017, 07:40 PM   #52
ComforablyNumb
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny3009 View Post
This is amazing.

Such a beautiful tank and yet no real hi-tech gear I honestly didn't know this was possible.

I may have missed you say this when I read through but what size litre/gallon tank is this? I saw you post the lights and skimmer you use but what do you use for circulation? A wave maker of some sort?

Ive just had a tank crash and lost my fish. Seeing you can get a result like this gets me smiling again.

Cheers,

Jonny.
Thanks Jonny. That one comment made this whole thread worthwhile for me from my perspective. Stay in the hobby if you enjoyed it. You will enjoy it again I'm sure. I took a short sabbatical after my sump seam failure..but back into it when I realized I did not need a sump for a smaller tank.

My tank is a standard 55gal 4'. A narrow tank makes the scaping more of a challenge (!) but I also have a standard 90gal 4' tank in storage when I want more room or water volume for stability..and everything I have on the 55 will work on the 90. Even the wall opening. lol

For circulation, I just use a big powerhead pointed down the tank and across the surface. Most oxygenation occurs on the surface and my powerhead provides ripples on the surface that allow the famous Kessil shimmer to appear.

We all have had crashes (well most of us that have been doing this for awhile anyway) and my goal was eliminate as many of the possible causes for a crash as I could.

Did you find out the reason for your crash?

Unread 07/19/2017, 07:50 PM   #53
Stolireef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComforablyNumb View Post
I must confess...I have the kessil spectral controller on my lights. I sometimes keep irregular hrs and that thing keeps my lights and coral photoperiod regular. It would not be disaster if it failed (thats another reason I use it), but with some other things.. like even a sump, its pump or its seams.. or an ato, those things CAN wipe out a tank.
I am also reconsidering using kalk in my top off water (very simple procedure)..but I will never use an ato again. Or if you do, make sure it cannot draw enough water to change all your tank parameters if it fails to shut off, cause an overflo, etc

The other most common wipeout cause is a failed heater. That is why I replace mine every two yrs regardless. I have a small Blue Bird overheat protection unit on mine. They are about $35 and cheap backup against over heating. Or you can use two smaller heaters. That mitigates the overheat risk somewhat as well. But only somewhat.
I use the Tunze ATO which, by itself has multiple redundancies (yeah, I'm a lousy speller). I also have a float valve as a last resort. It also shuts off if it runs more than a few minutes. Frankly, it's the one piece of equipment I wouldn't want to live without.

As far as heaters go, I only use titanium and I agree that changing them out every couple of years is a very good idea.

Current Tank Info: 125 Rimless Leemar, Apex, Trigger 30 Elite Sump, Vertex 180i Skimmer, 2 X Gen4 Radion XR30W, BM Doser, 2xMP40WES, 2xTunze 6095, Sicce Syncra 4.0.
Stolireef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/19/2017, 08:00 PM   #54
ComforablyNumb
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NS Mike D View Post
Those new to the hobby should read this thread and take notice. A mixed reef is possible without the bells and whistles and expensive gear (aside from good lights and a decent skimmer) and since we all basically start off with softies, we end up with mixed tanks as we graduate up the coral ladder.

Nothing wrong with automation and testing but I do think it's important that you "read" your corals. I haven't tested in about six months as my tank is quick to remind me a missed a water change or I'm overfeeding.

I presume with the bare bottom, you don't get much in the way of detritus build up and and thus no algae issues - without any downside to the lack of microfauna that would otherwise live in the sand bed.

Hi Mike. Yours is the 2nd comment that made this thread worthwhile. Thank-you.

Barebottom has its advantages and disadvantages. The advantages outweigh the disadvantages. The advantage of course is easy removal of detritus and I have never had an algae problem of any kind with this tank.

The advantage of an aragonite bottom is SOME minor added stability in pH and ca (in theory anyway) and sometimes, if it is thick enough, it can act as a built in way to reduce to nitrates. But herein lies the pitfalls too. To reduce nitrates, an oxygen-free region must develop and you may often smell a sulphur odor if it develops...especially if you disturb the oxygen-free zone. They can also act as nutrient traps, allowing for more possibility of problematic algaes to develop.

Both pH and nitrates are not usually a problem in most tanks, thus why they are unnecessary parameters to chase imo...but are still a risk to attempt to adjust. I know of a guy who wiped out many of his corals trying to adjust pH.

Many of the fish we keep, gobies in particular, should have some sand to burrow into. Best solution if want to keep a goby in a barebottom is to provide a dish of sand for it to make a home in. That sand will not usually stay in the dish for very long tho. They LOVE to shift sand. The other thing that will often happen to gobies in a barebottom..they will make a small cave near the bottom their home. I do not keep any gobies or fish that are known to jump out of tanks on a reg basis, because I did not want to bother with a tank-covering net.

Last edited by ComforablyNumb; 07/19/2017 at 08:41 PM.
Unread 07/19/2017, 08:21 PM   #55
ComforablyNumb
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stolireef View Post
I use the Tunze ATO which, by itself has multiple redundancies (yeah, I'm a lousy speller).
German Tunze always had a great rep for reliability for all their products. Tend to be expensive tho and many beginners may opt for a cheaper brand that would not have the backups the Tunze does. You did the right thing imo in getting a premier brand for this function, along with a failsafe backup.

Unread 07/19/2017, 08:52 PM   #56
djbon
Registered Member

And.... Congratulations to OP for the success in keeping reef using KISS!

Current Tank Info: 75 gallon/Arduino Controller
djbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/19/2017, 09:17 PM   #57
ComforablyNumb
Registered Member

Thank-you.

Hey! Speaking of gobies..do you guys want to have a real laugh? This is a short vid of my friend Nammy's tank. Its guaranteed to bring a smile.

https://www.facebook.com/nmacoomb/vi...W7YoLKKQhjyPGU

There's one in every crowd. lol

Unread 07/19/2017, 09:42 PM   #58
Joel_155
Registered Member

Awesome thread! I've had a tank for about 5 years now an with my own the tank has taken the back seat. I like the idea of a simple tank. Nice to see that its doable.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Joel_155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/20/2017, 01:55 PM   #59
reefwars
Registered Member

Looking good buddy

reefwars is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/20/2017, 05:27 PM   #60
Stolireef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComforablyNumb View Post
Thank-you.

Hey! Speaking of gobies..do you guys want to have a real laugh? This is a short vid of my friend Nammy's tank. Its guaranteed to bring a smile.

https://www.facebook.com/nmacoomb/vi...W7YoLKKQhjyPGU

There's one in every crowd. lol
I saw that video a few weeks ago. It's the first time my entire family got a kick out of my Reef Central habit.

Current Tank Info: 125 Rimless Leemar, Apex, Trigger 30 Elite Sump, Vertex 180i Skimmer, 2 X Gen4 Radion XR30W, BM Doser, 2xMP40WES, 2xTunze 6095, Sicce Syncra 4.0.
Stolireef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/20/2017, 05:34 PM   #61
j.falk
Registered Member

Do you use any powerheads for water flow?

j.falk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/20/2017, 06:20 PM   #62
ComforablyNumb
Registered Member

Yes, I have a large one pointing down the tank on the surface.

Unread 07/27/2017, 04:20 AM   #63
ComforablyNumb
Registered Member

I thought I should also add I use nothing but Instant Ocean basic salt.

Unread 08/28/2017, 11:32 PM   #64
ComforablyNumb
Registered Member

Added this:

Unread 12/10/2017, 05:11 PM   #65
ComforablyNumb
Registered Member

Brief update: reef is still doing well. I haven't changed nor added any equipment.

First of 3 candycane frags I took from colony, new heads developing on this frag:

Unread 12/10/2017, 09:46 PM   #66
icedgxe
Registered Member

Love your reef! Great job! I run my Nano as simple as possible as well. I do run an ato, and I haveit on a WiFi timer that only allows it to run at set periods of time throughout the day and for no longer than 1 minute. That way, if the sensor fails, the timer will cut power before it has time to overfill. Other than that, no skimmer or dosing. Just filter floss and water changes.

icedgxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/11/2017, 03:55 AM   #67
djbon
Registered Member

I always admire KISS method of reefing. You have a beautiful mixed tank. I am running no skimmer, no refugium, no water changes and mostly DIY equipment made from scraps and it works great. SPS dominated and so far after 4 years still kicking and growing. I have no chiller as well, temperature can reached almost 31C. Good job!

Current Tank Info: 75 gallon/Arduino Controller
djbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/12/2017, 08:34 AM   #68
ComforablyNumb
Registered Member

Thanks for the kind words. Appreciated.
There is more than one way to skin a cat .. or have a decent mixed reef.

I used to have all the bells and whistles, gave them up as unnecessary complications.. less to go wrong as well.

Unread 12/13/2017, 06:17 AM   #69
aikenreefkeeper
Registered Member

I really like your tank. Please continue to post pictures so we can follow along. I am in the process of starting a 120 myself. I hope to have it up and running by years end.

aikenreefkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/16/2017, 10:32 AM   #70
ComforablyNumb
Registered Member

Will do and thx for the nice words.

Unread 12/17/2017, 09:41 AM   #71
Wiskey
Registered Member

Awesome thread! And very nice tank! This is very encouraging to me! In order to lower noise levels I'm removing my sump and setting my tank up very close to the way yours is right now. I'll be keeping mostly softies and LPS with a few montis and I'm thrilled to see a tank that was successful long term this way!

Subscribed.

Whiskey

Unread 12/17/2017, 03:23 PM   #72
ComforablyNumb
Registered Member

Digitata when I first got it:

Digitata later on:

One of 3 sps frags I got:

Same frags later:

Orange sps when I first got it (sorry for poor pic, all I have)

After a few months:

Stylo frags:

Same frags later:

Unread 12/18/2017, 06:53 AM   #73
Ritten
Registered Member

Good to see an update! I love looking at your tank, its gorgeous.

Ritten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/19/2017, 01:15 PM   #74
smatter
Registered Member

What's your Kessil settings if you haven't listed them already? Color in particular.

Last edited by smatter; 12/19/2017 at 01:49 PM.
smatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/19/2017, 02:53 PM   #75
ComforablyNumb
Registered Member

Intensity: 0% up to 90% over 2 hrs, 7 hrs at 90%, 3 hr ramp back down.

Color I vary from time to time but its mostly blue end. I think the color is only to please one's eyes as the lamp maintains the important blue spectrum throughout.

By far my favorite aspect is the shimmer.
Thx for asking!