Originally Posted by MammothReefer View Post
join date and post count mean nothing, in terms of actually of experience
In this case it does

GreshamH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/17/2012, 01:48 PM   #77
smsreefer
Registered Member

By Galleon
"Here are some pictures from Vona Vona Lagoon in the Western Province, Solomon Islands. Olasana is in this region, one lagoon to the west."

6500k Iwasaki is a par beast.
Looks just like the pics.
Those pics are TOO yellow,it needs some blue. lol jk

Oh, and Galleon, you do realize there is only ONE way to run a reef,right ?

Keep us posted.

smsreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/17/2012, 03:16 PM   #78
allsps40
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thales View Post
I am wondering how you are determining how much live rock is 'needed' and what life and food sources that rock brings to a healthy reef, and if you have any references to support those ideas? Thanks!
Experience. I have 40-50lbs but could get buy no problem with lets say 20lbs of live rock in my 75. In the 20g 5-7lbs would be good for a minimalist low bio load, that is also considering a good skimmer is being used. As for life that comes in on good live rock like pods, worms, bacteria all act as food source and overall bio health of a tank. Nothing new here.

Current Tank Info: Past reef tanks: 20H softy, 29G mixed reef, 55G mixed reef, 40B sps dominant mixed reef and 75G sps dominant mixed reef. No tank currently
allsps40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/17/2012, 03:30 PM   #79
fishinchick
Mrs. Aquaman ;)

Quote:
join date and post count mean nothing, in terms of actually of experience just how much time you spend on a forum.
I've been around long enough to know that plenty of people go around shaking pom poms after posts just to increase their post counts to try to make it sound like they know what they are talking about :rolls eyes:. Just because someone types a lot doesnt mean they know more. It just means their keyboards got a few more miles on it.

Quality of quantity anyday.

Chris ... I love the reef photos. Right click, new desktop photos! <3 <3
I'm totally excited about your tank! I've harassed you for HOW LONG to get back into it??

Also ... OMG HI THERMAN!!!!!!!!!!
Come visit #chat. We miss you baby!! <3 <3

Adrienne Longo-White

Current Tank Info: 55 gallon mixed soft/LPS

Last edited by fishinchick; 01/17/2012 at 03:34 PM. Reason: I deleted too much.
fishinchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/17/2012, 03:47 PM   #80
mdw
Registered Member

An interesting and novel project. Really refreshing to see something different. Short of following some basic chemical and biological imperatives, there are many routes to success in this hobby (and even more to failure). Curious to see where and how this goes. Good luck!

Current Tank Info: 20L mixed reef
mdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/17/2012, 04:11 PM   #81
vitz
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by allsps40 View Post
Experience. I have 40-50lbs but could get buy no problem with lets say 20lbs of live rock in my 75. In the 20g 5-7lbs would be good for a minimalist low bio load, that is also considering a good skimmer is being used. As for life that comes in on good live rock like pods, worms, bacteria all act as food source and overall bio health of a tank. Nothing new here.

So with one tank and no actual quantitative testing or measurement you seem to be claiming that you *know* not only that lr ratios should be based on system volume rather than load, but also what said ratio is?

Have you ever dosed a tank w/ ammonia to a measurable value w/ 'x' amount of rock and then measured the rate of drop of said ammonia levels?

No one can make an assertion presented as fact like the one you're making without actual testing on hundreds if not thousands of various setups (diff volumes,rock amounts,NH4 levels etc).

Fortunately, there are many who have bothered to at least test the lr myth on an anecdotal level.

What would you say to someone who kept a 5-6" miniatus in a small tank w/a fist size piece of lr for 1/2 yr w/absolutely no NH4,NO2,NO3,or PO4 issues. (Or for that matter,someone who's cared for a few thousand tanks over decades?)

Nothing personal,- ANYONE who thinks that hobbyist level tank amounts counts as enough 'experience' to make ANY assertion about husbandry 'absolutes' is seriously mislead, imo. One two, or even ten tanks is an incredibly limited,small,pool from which to take or make any concrete lessons from.

Parroting a 'rule' simply because it's what your lfs, or another experience limited hobbyist told you doesn't make it true

Just some food for thought

vitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/17/2012, 04:13 PM   #82
MammothReefer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreshamH View Post
In this case it does
No, it never does, and if you think it does.. my original account is older then yours so you should listen to me. (probably have more posts to if you add them together)

Current Tank Info: 105 Peninsula
MammothReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/17/2012, 04:21 PM   #83
GreshamH
Registered Member

Quote:
No, it never does, and if you think it does.. my original account is older then yours so you should listen to me. (probably have more posts to if you add them together)
OMG you thought I was talking about me... thanks, that was funny. I honestly do not care when I joined, you joined, or RC was created. It has no bearing on the issue at hand.

I am talking about the other posters that have replied, and Chris (galleon). You simply do not know any of these people, but we all know each other and know each other credentials.

Carry on, you can **** further and probably drive a more costly vehicle then I do

Unread 01/17/2012, 04:24 PM   #84
MammothReefer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreshamH View Post
OMG you thought I was talking about me... thanks, that was funny. I honestly do not care when I joined, you joined, or RC was created. It has no bearing on the issue at hand.

I am talking about the other posters that have replied, and Chris (galleon). You simply do not know any of these people, but we all know each other and know each other credentials.

Carry on, you can **** further and probably drive a more costly vehicle then I do
Well quotes are great, saw you responding to me (you quoted me), so it logically made sense you were talking to me, and you made know notation of sarcasm.. So why wouldn't I think you were talking about you?

However with that said, as creepy as this is going to sound.. I know of you guys, I have friends in your reef club, and I used to be a retailer and have sold to many of you back in the days

To answer your last question. I have a rather low pressure high volume unit, I'm just happy if I don't dribble on my shoes. I also drive a 94' Cherokee sport that cost me 800$ so you probably win on that note to..

All in all, this just appears to be a classic case of cross post confusion without any context notation and a mis quotation. One of the many downfalls of online conversation.

Please carry on. I must go back to digging out my .5 gallon pico tank for a 1000w halide / tang experiment I'm working on hehehe jab jab

Current Tank Info: 105 Peninsula
MammothReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/17/2012, 07:03 PM   #85
mr.wilson
RC Sponsor

Do you have a water change schedule in mind, or are you playing it by ear?

I like the stripped down system with water changes in place of gear.

mr.wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/17/2012, 07:24 PM   #86
Spracklcat
Disaster Expert

Stomatella is a horrible idea. Reading RC has taught me that they will grow rampant in your system reproducing like rabbits and become a nuisance. Also make sure you have NO bristleworms because they do nothing good for your system and might eat your fish as they are sleeping. If you find one you should rip the tank down and start anew.

Spracklcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/17/2012, 07:29 PM   #87
mr.wilson
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spracklcat View Post
Stomatella is a horrible idea. Reading RC has taught me that they will grow rampant in your system reproducing like rabbits and become a nuisance. Also make sure you have NO bristleworms because they do nothing good for your system and might eat your fish as they are sleeping. If you find one you should rip the tank down and start anew.
Finally someone who knows what they are talking about!!!

Unread 01/17/2012, 07:39 PM   #88
galleon
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.wilson View Post
Do you have a water change schedule in mind, or are you playing it by ear?

I like the stripped down system with water changes in place of gear.
Shawn, right now I'm doing 5 gallons every week on Sunday. I'd like to try to stick to that. I am very very big on regular water changes. I do system maintenance on my Green Tree Python/Orchidarium system on Sundays as well without fail, so it's easy to be in that routine.

galleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/17/2012, 08:01 PM   #89
Tang Salad
Algae skeptic

Love the pics, Chris. Especially the ones from the reef. Cool looking snake, too. You need to put a miniature apple tree in with it.

Are you still looking for a skimmer? A buddy of mine in Taiwan had what I think is this one. For the money and size, it's not bad. Plus it has a sealed bottom and a low enough intake that the wave action probably wouldn't be too big of a deal.

Current Tank Info: TBD ADA 120-P SPS NLPS
Tang Salad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/17/2012, 08:10 PM   #90
GreshamH
Registered Member

Quote:
Well quotes are great, saw you responding to me (you quoted me), so it logically made sense you were talking to me, and you made know notation of sarcasm.. So why wouldn't I think you were talking about you?

However with that said, as creepy as this is going to sound.. I know of you guys, I have friends in your reef club, and I used to be a retailer and have sold to many of you back in the days

To answer your last question. I have a rather low pressure high volume unit, I'm just happy if I don't dribble on my shoes. I also drive a 94' Cherokee sport that cost me 800$ so you probably win on that note to..

All in all, this just appears to be a classic case of cross post confusion without any context notation and a mis quotation. One of the many downfalls of online conversation.

Please carry on. I must go back to digging out my .5 gallon pico tank for a 1000w halide / tang experiment I'm working on hehehe jab jab
Sarcasm should be read into all posts, makes many more enjoyable

Yah I responded to you, but wasn't talking about myself. Never been much to talk about "me", feels weird doing so

I assumed that your avatar was your car. Bummer on the Cherokee, but damn has it lived much longer then my friends that have owned those. I've called AAA one too many times for a Cherokee that wouldn't start

Member of our club? We are scattered across the USA and belong to various clubs (but none of us are in the same club), or none at all (Neither Chris or I belong to a club). Several are authors, several are researchers, and those that are neither, have worked in the trade for a long time All of us still enjoy the hobby though

Unread 01/17/2012, 08:12 PM   #91
GreshamH
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.wilson View Post
Finally someone who knows what they are talking about!!!
There is much knowledge to be learned from her

Unread 01/17/2012, 08:17 PM   #92
vitz
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spracklcat View Post

vitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/17/2012, 08:20 PM   #93
tahiriqbal
Sialkot

Tagging along and wishing you all the best.

Tahir

Current Tank Info: 56cm x 56cm x 56cm
tahiriqbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/17/2012, 08:37 PM   #94
Jeremy B.
Registered Member

Exciting thread / tank, I love it! "therman" is spot on back on page 2 though, 400w over 20g was actually common place 10-12 years ago. And his 40BR from 2001 TOTM is a true testament to that. Still one of my favorite tanks of all time!

6500k Iwasaki lamps are neck and neck with 400w Radium lamps as my favorite reef lighting of all time. Love them both!

Jeremy B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/17/2012, 08:37 PM   #95
Thales
Registered Member

Without 6-8 inches of sand, this tank is doomed. DOOMED.

Current Tank Info: 150 mixed reef with a 180 remote sump • 250 gallon fish breeding system • 200 gallon cephalopod breeding system • 212,000 gallon reef tank at work
Thales is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/17/2012, 08:44 PM   #96
Turaki
Registered Member

I'm surprised you set up a personal tank, let alone one with a wild collected coral instead of an aquacultured one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by galleon View Post
Just curious, why do you (as individuals) keep a captive reef aquarium? I have never been able to justify to myself the keeping of one. If you want to learn, why is this better than reading a book? The animals aren't behaving naturally... Is it to boost the captive propagated population of corals to cater to the people would have a system just for the sake of aesthetics? Is it to bring the tropical ocean which you love so much to you, since circumstances disallow you from heeding its call?
Quote:
Don't forget, I never could bring myself to set up a tank at home, even after all that chatting. As cool as I thought it would be, I could never get over how I felt about simply having them to look at; I already knew that the interest you're referring to was there and sparked in me. I'm not preaching to others to do anything either way. In fact, like I said, whenever I can I offer what I know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by galleon
Not to mention, the scientific community's coral harvest, by and large, is far more sustainable than that of the hobby. For the most part: we don't blast fish. We don't rape and pillage reef tracts with methods. We don't ship obscene amounts of doomed animals. We don't cyanide fish. We don't collect whole colonies, and all our treatment replicates are fragmented clones. Not to mention, for the pure scientist, the goal is understanding, not to own what he learns or is working with.

Turaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/17/2012, 08:52 PM   #97
mr.wilson
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thales View Post
Without 6-8 inches of sand, this tank is doomed. DOOMED.
I say we start a poll to predict when Chris adds the 8" of (brown) sand.

Unread 01/17/2012, 08:52 PM   #98
galleon
Registered Member

Quote:
I'm surprised you set up a personal tank, let alone one with a wild collected coral instead of an aquacultured one.
I changed my mind. I'm allowed to do that, last time I checked.

Unread 01/17/2012, 08:56 PM   #99
galleon
Registered Member

Turaki, you have 6 posts AND just joined, but you seem to know my posting history and past viewpoints. Which is fine, but it seems pretty clear you're someone I know, or feel I have wronged you in the past, etc. etc. Can you tell me where/how you know me? Have you been waiting all this time for me to change my mind and set up a tank of my own? That would be pretty petty, sad, and douche-y.

Last edited by galleon; 01/17/2012 at 09:01 PM.
Unread 01/17/2012, 08:57 PM   #100
mr.wilson
RC Sponsor

Quote:
I changed my mind. I'm allowed to do that, last time I checked.
Doh!