Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/25/2018, 07:22 AM   #1
benbarfield
Registered Member

Colorado Reef

and I've started again... stay tuned for more updates on the new 300 gallon main tank (5-600 total gallons) and fish room...

The old tank build can be found here: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2621740

benbarfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/25/2018, 08:06 AM   #2
benbarfield
Registered Member

9/25 update

We've moved into a new home and started construction on the basement and where the new 300 gallon reef will live. The first pictures show the new door into what will be the fish room and the second photo shows the framing in the basement.

IMG_2811

IMG_2788

We've since finished the basement and now I have dedicated my attention to construction the fish room. I cut and framed the opening to the wall where you will be able to view the tank from the living area.

IMG_0416

Next was framing out the viewing window. I probably should have used a 2x6 instead of a 2x4 header but since the wall is not weight bearing I figured it would be fine. I put in 6 separate electrical circuits to supply the tank room to ensure that I have plenty of power and fail safes so everything can be split up between them. After electrical was in, I put insulation in the walls and covered it with soundboard to try and get the room as quiet as possible so I don't hear pumps and the tanks from the living room. The metal support pole is inconvenient in the tank room, but I have enough room to get the tank in a run plumbing off the back of the tank and not hit the pole. Once the soundboard was in place, I starting hanging cement backboard to the walls and ceiling. It has since been taped and mudded on all seams and concrete caulk place at all seams. Today I will be applying RedGard to everything in the room. This will seal the cement board and make the room waterproof.

IMG_0419

IMG_0422

IMG_0424

IMG_0421

IMG_0425

IMG_0426

Unread 09/25/2018, 08:12 AM   #3
benbarfield
Registered Member

9/25 update

The following pictures are of the 240 gallon sump tank and 125 gallon refugium tank. The 240 will be placed on the floor with a stand build around and over it to allow for the 125 to sit above it. Like my last build I will be using cement blocks to build the stands and the main tank will have a 3-4" sheet metal board to support the main tank.

IMG_2816

Yesterday, I got the main tank delivered using a friend's horse trailer to transport it over to my house (long story). I had to build a palate and put wheels on the bottom of the palate to make it level with the horse trailer. This allowed for a palate jack to be used to lift the tank and slide it onto the pallet so I could get it into my garage without having to rent a forklift. Thanks to the construction guys around the corner for helping push it into the garage.

IMG_0466

IMG_0468

Next will be painting the RedGard today and next week painting the epoxy white over the RedGard so I am not living in a "Red Rum" fish room. I will also be installing a ventilation fan in the room that will run up into a bedroom closet above and up in the attic and out the side of the house. Once the exhaust fan is installed I will seal off the room and be installing a new floor drain into the concrete slab. Stay tuned and feedback and criticism is always welcomed..

Unread 09/25/2018, 06:23 PM   #4
monti1
Registered Member

Hanging around for this one. You’re off to a great start!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

monti1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/25/2018, 07:20 PM   #5
Bono
Registered Member

Who built the tank?

Current Tank Info: 210 gal, 300lbs LR, Aquamaxx Skimmer, 3x Reefbreeders LED's & T5's.
Bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/28/2018, 06:36 AM   #6
halmus
Registered Member

Following along. Great documentation on the last build. Looking forward to seeing this come along.

halmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/29/2018, 08:37 AM   #7
benbarfield
Registered Member

I still hate the color Red...

@Bono – the tank was made by CustomAquariums

I’ve started painting RedGard on the cement boards on the walls and ceiling. I hate painting RedGard but it’s definitely worth it. Probably going to take 2-3 coats. After RedGard, I will put up a white epoxy paint. Hoping to be done with the RedGard tonight. After the painting I will extend the wall outlets out since I now have soundboard and cement board on the walls and they need to be extended. After that I will be installing the ventilation/exhaust fan in the ceiling and running it up through a guest bedroom closet, into the attic, and out the side of the house. The exhaust fan I will be installing is a Broan in-line fan from Grainger that is 1275 CFM which is more than enough to move air out of the room. I have to get a much bigger fan since it will be traveling through almost 50 feet of ducting. I will program it to run every 30 minutes to an hour for a few minutes to circulate the air.

RedGard

Unread 10/02/2018, 05:02 PM   #8
Bono
Registered Member

I ordered a tank from CustomAquariums about 3 weeks ago and was told it could take up to 12 weeks for delivery. What was your experience ?

Current Tank Info: 210 gal, 300lbs LR, Aquamaxx Skimmer, 3x Reefbreeders LED's & T5's.
Bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/03/2018, 02:51 PM   #9
benbarfield
Registered Member

@Bono - mine was a few months and it ended up being a month behind schedule.

Finally finished applying the RedGard to the ceiling and walls of the tank room. Next steps are to apply a white epoxy paint to the walls, install the ventilation fan and ducting, followed by installing the floor drain. More to come...

IMG_0494
IMG_0493
IMG_0492

This morning I cleaned out the old sump and refugium tanks.

IMG_0496
IMG_0497

Unread 10/06/2018, 08:16 PM   #10
benbarfield
Registered Member

Today I picked up the 5 gallons of white epoxy paint and drilled two pilot holes from the bedroom closet above the fish room as a guide. I then cut the hole in the ceiling where the ventilation ducting will be. The path will be from the fish room, up into a bedroom closet, into the attic and out the side of the house. Tomorrow I plan on painting the epoxy and hopefully the rain/snow will hold off so I don’t freeze with all my basement windows open while painting…

IMG_0511
IMG_0513

Unread 10/08/2018, 08:16 PM   #11
benbarfield
Registered Member

Here are some updated pictures of the white epoxy painting. I finished it today, and coated the floor as well. Now just waiting for the exhaust fan to be delivered so I can install that and then install the floor drain.

imageimage

Unread 10/11/2018, 08:37 PM   #12
Tony414
Registered Member

i wish i had a basement,

Tony414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/25/2018, 09:39 AM   #13
benbarfield
Registered Member

It’s been a while since the last update. I’ve been busy with work and travel, but have had some time to get things moving again. I had to figure out a way to get some ventilation into the room. I found that the best (straightest) shot was to go up above the tank, into a guest bedroom closet, and into the attic and out the side of the house. Let the demo begin… The first picture is the ventilation fan. It is a monster of a fan. It’s a Broan in line 1275 cfm exhaust fan. It will definitely be able to vent the room and I will hook this up to the Apex unit so I can have it timed to exhaust every so often.

IMG-0554

Here is the ventilation ducting. It is 12x8 ducting that will be connected the the exhaust fan.
IMG-0557

This picture show the ventilation ducting running through the closet and into the attic. I will have to build a frame around the ducting and insulate it with sound board to deaden the sound. After that will be hanging drywall with texture and paint to make it disappear.
IMG-0561
IMG-0562

This picture shows the exhaust line louvre vent out the side of the house from the attic. It’s been sealed and all I need to do now is to paint it to match the house.
IMG-0604

Concrete blocks are the devil. I lugged these things into the garage and down the stairs into the fist room to start build my tank stands. These will be the base of the stands and will be filled with concrete to make them solid.
IMG-0611

Unread 11/25/2018, 09:41 AM   #14
benbarfield
Registered Member

The garage has become a holding area for supplies. My wife is being very patient, especially since it’s winter now in Denver (I need to clean this out soon). Below is the main tank and refugium metal platforms. The plan is to sit these metal platforms on top of the concrete cinder blocks and have a sheet of plywood with homasote under the tank. I finished buffing both metal frames and next is to prime and paint them with the epoxy paint. The plywood layer will also be sealed with the epoxy paint. If it warms up today in Denver, the plan is to start painting.
IMG-0612
IMG-0629

This shows the outline on the floor where we have begun concrete demolition. This will be the floor drain and line that runs into another floor drain in the utility room next door to the tank room.
IMG-0625
IMG-0624

For the floor drain, the outline was marked on the floor where the saw cuts would be made. I then used 2x4s on the floor to build a frame and sealed the seams to the floor with caulking. This was done to trap all the water from when we made the concrete cuts and used a hose to limit the amount of dust produced. Basically mimicking a wet saw. A shop vac was used to them suction the water and lead it to the current floor drain behind the water heater.
IMG-0626
IMG-0628

These last two pictures show the concrete being busted out. I used a sledge hammer, pickaxe, and drill to demo the concrete. The concrete chunks were put into buckets and then carried upstairs for disposal. I am currently using the same method for removing the dirt underneath. The plan for today is finish digging out the dirt from the trench and then will fill 2” of gravel into the trench. Once the gravel is in place, I can do a dry fitting of the plumbing to make sure everything looks good. My next day is Friday, so hopefully the floor drain will be finished and concrete will be placed back into the trench and cinder block stand frames.
IMG-0627
IMG-0634

Anyone have any luck with 3-4 convict tangs in a tank? Until next time, cheers…

Unread 12/03/2018, 01:32 PM   #15
benbarfield
Registered Member

making progress

Back at it today. Floor drains have been replaced and installed. Concrete was poured and set. Cement blocks for the tank stand bases are in place and glued/cemented. I am waiting to grind the concrete around the floor drains smooth this afternoon after my wife wakes up (she was working the night shift last night). I am going to grind a slope towards the drain in all directions with the majority coming from the tank side of the fish room. Then the metal tank frames, which have been primed and painted with epoxy, will be brought into the tank room and set on the cement block bases. All the tank equipment has arrived and will be unboxed as soon as I can get all these items on my list crossed off. The big tank move is only a little bit away…

56512482713-1-C5-A88-CB-412-C-4361-94-D4-90960-CE0-EA5-E
IMG-0661
IMG-0663
56538083023-9-B37-FF94-7050-4-B78-AC41-952270-BE250-E
IMG-0667
IMG-0664
IMG-0665
56538081899-DE763-BEC-BCCB-43-DD-952-C-2-F635-F1990-DA
56538080923-E6045-D6-C-0-E58-4-B5-B-9945-0-E3-DB45-FD266

Unread 12/26/2018, 10:51 PM   #16
lanshark
It's Landshark, aka SNL

Getting after it. . Following.

Current Tank Info: Mixed Reef 66"x24"x22", 20g Sump/refugium 20g In-line Grow Out tank
lanshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/02/2019, 09:09 PM   #17
benbarfield
Registered Member

Finally!

This past Sunday was a big day in the house. The tank was moved from the garage into its final resting place in the basement thanks to the help of some serious engineering, 8 guys, and one wife documenting/supervising/directing. I can’t enough thanks to all those involved.

0900 on a Thursday: I started building a ramp over my basement stairs to reduce the slope of how the tank would slide down the stairs. We decided that the tank was too heavy and big to safely carry down the stairs. Empty weight was 690 lbs. I started with 4x4 posts connected with 4” lag screws to create a platform on the steps.

IMG-0741

The tank would not make the turn into the basement with the stair bannister in place so it had to go. Luckily my wife wanted a metal one so it’s the perfect time to get rid of the wood one.

IMG-0739

The 2x6 beams were placed on the sides and top of the ramp to allow for more area to mount the plywood top to and secure the ramp from any wobble.

IMG-0744

Placing painters paper followed by plywood down on the hardwood floors.

IMG-3508

A few pictures of the final lag screws going into the upright 4x4 posts on the ramp.

IMG-3510
IMG-3512

The tank is being moved from the garage, around the side of the house, and to the front of the house where we will put it on a platform level with the rest of the house. The plan was to slide the tank from the front door all the way down to the platform downstairs.

IMG-3513
IMG-3517
IMG-3516

Unread 01/02/2019, 09:10 PM   #18
benbarfield
Registered Member

Finally part 2

The next photos show the tank being slide on top of some soundboard that we placed on top of the plywood. The soundboard not only protects the tank from snags in the plywood but allowed for easier sliding. The last pictures show the tank about to make the transition down.

IMG-3525
IMG-3526
IMG-3534

IMG-3536
IMG-3538

The next few show the build of the downstairs platform. I had to build this platform in the basement since it was way to heavy to make it down the stairs. It’s the same height at the hole cutout in the wall for the tank to then slide into place. I did not account for the plywood underneath the wheels of the platform so I had to remove it to make the height work.

IMG-0746
IMG-0749
IMG-3549

Unread 01/02/2019, 09:11 PM   #19
benbarfield
Registered Member

Finally part 3

Picture thread of the tank being slid into place.

IMG-3552
IMG-3556
IMG-3557

IT”S IN and LEVEL! The next two weekends I will be leveling the other two tanks in the tank room and working on plumbing.

IMG-3560

Happy unboxing of equipment day to me. More to come in the coming weekends.

IMG-0751

I spent 3 days of building the ramp and platform. I thought that was the worst part but taking everything apart and carrying it back upstairs to the garage was by far the worst. It took me 8 hours to break everything down thanks to dying drill batteries and to clean the house back to normal. Excited for the progress, more to come…

Unread 01/21/2019, 02:04 PM   #20
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Man, this is impressive! The thought and work you've put in, just to make it all work in your home blows my mind. I look forward to more!

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/21/2019, 04:18 PM   #21
wjgeese
Registered Member

what's with the two TVs?

wjgeese is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/22/2019, 10:35 AM   #22
benbarfield
Registered Member

sometimes there's two games on... usually my wife gets to watch something on hers and I will play video games or watch something on the other and we are still spending time together.

Unread 03/17/2019, 09:32 AM   #23
benbarfield
Registered Member

updates

Lots to update. I’ve been crazy busy at work and was luckily enough to travel to Hawaii for a week but have been spending a lot of time working on the tank. Here is basically the last 2 months of work. I left you with getting the display tank into its final resting position. Since then we are up and running…

With the display tank in place, I started on the wood wall. I did this in the old house and loved it, so it’s coming back in the new house. The wood was then stained and some trim work placed to make the tank completely built in. This is my attempt at a living art display.

IMG-0774
57197606466-45830942-6106-4801-914-A-4-FAA678-FD9-B6

Once the tank was in place, I started running the plumbing to connect all three tanks. The first picture shows the overflow from the main tank. I have two main drain lines and 2 emergency lines coming off the external overflow box. These lines drop down and empty into a filter splash basin in the sump tank. Pictured in the second and third photo.

IMG-0817
IMG-0841
IMG-0939

Unread 03/17/2019, 09:38 AM   #24
benbarfield
Registered Member

updates...

Here are some pictures of inside the tank room, skimmer, sump tank, and one of my apex wall unit boards.

IMG-1162
IMG-1166
IMG-1165
IMG-1163

The tank was running for over a month going through its cycle, but luckily I have a friend who gave me a bunch of live rock that has been around for over a decade with tons of sponge and caulerpa growth and so the cycle was fast. I did add microbacter7 as well to the tank during this time.

IMG-1160
IMG-1167
IMG-1170

I need to do something to block the back wall from being able to see through, but I want something that is removable. I do like seeing in to the tank from the display room but would like to be able to block it out if needed. Thoughts or ideas? I went through a few rounds of plumbing to minimize and 90 degrees bends and I tried only using 45 degree bends. It didn’t come out as clean of a look, but the flow dynamics are better this way. I got the Kessil lights above the refugium up and running last night and finished hanging the Radions with the aquatic life t5 hybrid unit above the main tank. I need to find a better way to attached the filter socks coming off the refugium drains over than my current zip-ties holding them on. Fish order being placed in the next 2 weeks…

Unread 03/17/2019, 06:08 PM   #25
rygar
Registered Member

Shadowboxes?
Nylon fabric with magnets glued to that and the top of the tank?

rygar is offline   Reply With Quote