Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/09/2015, 01:20 PM   #1
tdyrkacz
Registered Member

Copepods in sump

I have a question about sump design if you plan on growing copepods in the refugium. Most of the sumps I see have some sort of pads between the refugium and return sections. It seems to me that copepods would get stuck here and never make it back to the display tank. I'm sure I'm just mis understanding something since almost all sums i see are designed this way. What am i missing here? Do you just remove the pads in order to allow the pods to flow through?

Thanks in advance

Unread 02/09/2015, 01:23 PM   #2
FraggledRock
Registered Member

you would be surprised the amount of suction they can handle.

I recently had a +/- 3/4 inch amphipod make it to my Display Tank! I still see some about the half inch mark too with fish!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ayz5roaJUI

That WAS with Filter socks and nothing between return and sump...

Current Tank Info: 40 Gallon Breeder w/ Bean Animal Overflow 20G Sump, Mixed Reef.
FraggledRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2015, 02:00 PM   #3
tdyrkacz
Registered Member

so the pads sponge/pad between the refugium and return should be removed?

Unread 02/10/2015, 02:32 PM   #4
tdyrkacz
Registered Member

Bump

Unread 02/10/2015, 02:36 PM   #5
FraggledRock
Registered Member

I would.

Current Tank Info: 40 Gallon Breeder w/ Bean Animal Overflow 20G Sump, Mixed Reef.
FraggledRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/10/2015, 02:40 PM   #6
AZBigJohn
Usually confused...

Usually the sponges fill up rapidly with detrius and algae, and as they decay, the sponges become a nitrate factory.

Current Tank Info: Currently a 29 gallon all-in-one frag tank and a 210 gallon tank slowly becoming my dream system!
AZBigJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/10/2015, 03:42 PM   #7
Wryknow
Registered Member

I don't put any filter material between the sump and the return pump for just the reason you are bringing up. I wanted pods to get pulled up by the return pump and sent to the main tank periodically.

Current Tank Info: 65 G RR, w/ 50 G sump/refugium, DIY LED lighting, AquaMaxx CO-1 skimmer, Tunze 1073.050 return
Wryknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/10/2015, 04:26 PM   #8
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdyrkacz View Post
I have a question about sump design if you plan on growing copepods in the refugium. Most of the sumps I see have some sort of pads between the refugium and return sections. It seems to me that copepods would get stuck here and never make it back to the display tank. I'm sure I'm just mis understanding something since almost all sums i see are designed this way. What am i missing here? Do you just remove the pads in order to allow the pods to flow through?

Thanks in advance
Doesn't seem to me that 'almost all' sumps are designed with mechanical filtration between the refugium and pump return sections. I'd actually suggest that they are in the very small minority. Most folks, if they are going to use mechanical media at all, employ filter socks in the initial sump section.

I'd suggest skipping mechanical media entirely, but if you must use it, definitely not after the refugium.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/10/2015, 06:25 PM   #9
tdyrkacz
Registered Member

Thank you everyone for confirming my thoughts on this. I appreciate it.

Tags
copepods, refugium, sump