Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/13/2017, 04:00 PM   #1
Mikeb76
Registered Member

Suggestions for Upgrade

Hello all and Seasons Greetings,

I’m looking for some recommendation on updating my equipment. I got me some hand me down equipment that has done an ok job for the past 6 months but looking to improve my system. I recently updated my T5 lights to LEDs and recently ordered me a Apex controller system. Now I would like to replace my Sump and skimmer. I currently have a DIY sump with Sump | Return | refugium | ATO built all in one 40gal breeder. This leaves me no room under the tank. I would like to have something more compact and not flood my living room if the power goes off.

I also have a Coralife Super Skimmer 125 . This guys will work great for a few days and then next nothing but issue over flow from the cup with just water or not skimming or it will skim great for a few days. Even if I move the knob just a hair I have crazy issue. its just a daily routine to keep an eye on it and make the minor adjustments. I’m looking for something more reliable and less stressful to maintain

Thanks in advance

Mike

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tank-2.jpg (56.9 KB, 32 views)
Mikeb76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/13/2017, 06:06 PM   #2
sde1500
Registered Member

Woah can you even turn the power off to your tank!? That sump water level is way high. I think it's a fine tank to use for a sump if done right. I'd just fix the water level and keep that. If you want to spend buy a skimmer that works better.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2548422

Current Tank Info: 65 gallon mixed reef, Eshopps sump and HOB overflow, RO-110int skimmer, Reefbreeder 32" photons V1.
sde1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/13/2017, 10:52 PM   #3
thegrun
Registered Member

What size is your tank?

thegrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/13/2017, 11:41 PM   #4
JUNBUG361
Registered Member

Don’t replace it if it’s not broken. On the skimmer side purchase a new one less headache for you. Simplicity skimmers

JUNBUG361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/14/2017, 12:20 PM   #5
Mikeb76
Registered Member

Hello Sde1500 yes I'm able to power off the tank and any equipment as needed. I have two power strips mounted to the frame under the tank (hidden) going to a Tripp Lite UPS Smart 1500VA 1000W with LCD on the right side of the tank :-)

As for the sump I built it to these specs I found. Any suggestions to lower the water level with out tearing it all apart? my baffles are made from glass.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 30gal%20sump.jpg (35.2 KB, 3 views)
Unread 12/14/2017, 12:22 PM   #6
Mikeb76
Registered Member

@thegrun its a 90gal

@JUNBUG361 any skimmer suggestions?

Unread 12/14/2017, 12:29 PM   #7
sde1500
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeb76 View Post
Hello Sde1500 yes I'm able to power off the tank and any equipment as needed. I have two power strips mounted to the frame under the tank (hidden) going to a Tripp Lite UPS Smart 1500VA 1000W with LCD on the right side of the tank :-)

As for the sump I built it to these specs I found. Any suggestions to lower the water level with out tearing it all apart? my baffles are made from glass.
Ah, I didn't mean physically turn the power off, more meant can your sump handle the amount of water that siphons out of the display into your sump? I ask firstly because the water level of the sump is very high, and secondly due to your concern of a flood due to power outage. A tank and sump should always be designed to make sure that if the return pump goes off, the sump can store the water that is bound to be siphoned out of the display tank by the returns. To lower it unfortunately I think you'd need to cut those baffles out and make them shorter.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2548422

Current Tank Info: 65 gallon mixed reef, Eshopps sump and HOB overflow, RO-110int skimmer, Reefbreeder 32" photons V1.
sde1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/14/2017, 01:07 PM   #8
Mikeb76
Registered Member

@ sde1500
Ok I see, When the tank is off any extra water flows to the Center of the tank (Return area) I have about 5 gallon of free space from the top of breeder. When the tank is running I have about 10 or more gallons of free space my in the middle. The drain is a 1" pvc pipe and the return in 3/4" to a Y ..