Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/03/2011, 06:29 PM   #1
ange062
Registered Member

My JBJ 28gal Nano Build Thread

Hey all, I'm new to the forum and the hobby. Figured I would post up a blog-esque thread of the progress on my first saltwater tank, a JBJ 28gal CF-quad that I purchased from my trusty LFS. I figured other noobs in the future may be able to learn from the thread, and that I could get advice from the experts along the way.

The Purchase:
I've wanted a saltwater aquarium for at least 5-yrs now but always came up with one reason or another to NOT buy one. A recent trip to the Philippines which included several snorkeling excursions over reefs finally pushed me over the edge.

My first stop was a high-end LFS down the street from me here in Houston, where upon inquiry I was nearly upsold into a 75gal aquarium with all the good stuff for well over $2k.

Before impulse buying, I ventured down to Fish Ranch who I had bought some freshwater fish from before. The owner Tran is an awesome guy, and talked me into buying the 28gal nano to make sure I liked the hobby without investing too much up front. Not the fanciest shop around, but great and honest service, great prices, and an awesome selection of livestock both fresh and marine.

Initial Setup:
As I stated, I got the JBJ 28gal Nano. The LFS hooked me up with water out of one of their established tanks, 2-cups of sand from the same tank to seed my substrate, and even let me borrow the containers to get it all back to my house. I also picked up 10lbs of cured liverock, 20lbs live sand, and 15lbs of aragonite.

When I got home with all the goodies, I already knew my location so I set up the stand and tank. Next I cleaned out the tank then did a short leak test with freshwater. It was drained, wiped dry, then it was time for some fun!

All of the livesand went in, then I dumped about half the aragonite, then mixed and leveled it out to about a 2" sandbed. The 2-cups of seeded sand went in on top and was leveled over the surface. The liverock was just piled in the middle, and the saltwater went in.

My LFS advised me to use a plate on the bottom when pouring the water, so once full the tank was only a little cloudy. I turned on the pumps, adjusted the water level until it was good, and just let it sit in the dark.

The next morning, it was crystal clear. Nothing else to do but let it sit and cycle...

Here is a picture from just after adding the water, never got a clear shot since it was such a boring tank!
Click the thumbnail for a full size picture:

Last edited by ange062; 03/03/2011 at 06:50 PM.
ange062 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/03/2011, 06:49 PM   #2
ange062
Registered Member

Step 2

So my goal from the beginning was to have 25-30lbs of liverock. I started with only 10lbs. A few days after the initial setup, I decided to go in search of some more so that it could all cure/cycle at the same time.

Unfortunately, my trusty LFS was low on liverock stock and didn't have much to offer. I went to the high-end shop that tried to upsell me previously, and they had some beautiful Tonga liverock that was covered in coralline algae and a bunch of little critters. Unfortunately, it also came at a super-premium price, so I picked out some key pieces that totalled out to 9lbs.

Again, it was just kind of jumbled into the center. I had yet to research anything about aquascaping!

Click the thumbnail for the full size picture:

Well, after a couple days research, I decided to get my hands wet and aquascape the rock I had. I was pretty happy with the way it turned out after tinkering with it for a while! The way it was stacked created a cave in the center, and plenty of hiding spots behind the rock and areas for flow.

Unread 03/03/2011, 07:03 PM   #3
ange062
Registered Member

Step 3

Well, a week after my initial setup, I brought some water into my trusty LFS to have it tested since he insisted that I not waste money purchasing my own test equipment just yet. And the results were:
  • Ammonia = 0
  • Nitrite = 0
  • Nitrate = trace levels
  • pH = 8.1
  • Salinity = 1.023

So, the LFS owner gave me a little yellowtail damsel to add to the tank. I ended up buying a thermometer, 100W heater, and MagFloat to keep temps steady and the glass clean. I also got some fresh RO water in one of my AquaTainers to top off the tank, it had gone down some due to evaporation.

I got home and started acclimating the damsel while installing the thermometer in one constant-level sump column and the heater in the other. After about an hour of the bag floating in the tank and slowly adding tank water, I released "The Dood" into the tank. He hid for about a day, but once I started feeding on the 2nd day he got a lot more adventurous.

Unread 03/03/2011, 07:59 PM   #4
cherubfish pair
Registered Member

Quote:
So, the LFS owner gave me a little yellowtail damsel to add to the tank.
That's nice of him. The only thing I ever got free from one of my LFS is parasites. LOL

Thanks for looking at my build thread and subscribe to it if you already haven't yet!

Current Tank Info: thirty rimless
cherubfish pair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/03/2011, 08:00 PM   #5
BarryRey
Registered Member

Very nice start, really like the different pieces of rock. Welcome to the NC28 club.

BarryRey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/03/2011, 08:07 PM   #6
cherubfish pair
Registered Member

What is the blue tinge on some of the rock? Looks cool.

Thanks for looking at my build thread and subscribe to it if you already haven't yet!

Current Tank Info: thirty rimless
cherubfish pair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/03/2011, 08:22 PM   #7
ange062
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherubfish pair View Post
That's nice of him. The only thing I ever got free from one of my LFS is parasites. LOL
Yeah, really cool guy. He has given me all the water for free, the sand for seeding, the fish, and of course tons of good advice.

He just got a ton of new LR in today, I picked up 11lbs more and got some cool hitchhikers!! Will post pics tomorrow once the water clears from my aquascaping.

The blue tinge is just an artifact of the crappy cell camera, I'm busting out the DSLR for the pics tomorrow!

Thanks Barry!

Unread 03/03/2011, 08:45 PM   #8
duncantse
Fish Advisor

Nice rocks. They have a lot of colors.

duncantse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/03/2011, 08:59 PM   #9
garetjax
Registered Member

Nice start. Keep up the good work.

Garetjax

garetjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/03/2011, 09:10 PM   #10
john miller
Registered Member

Looks good. I'll be following along also. Welcome.

john miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/03/2011, 10:19 PM   #11
markgsa
Registered Member

Excellent start. That's a cool LFS for all the extras they are giving you.

markgsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/04/2011, 06:38 AM   #12
RedAggie03
Registered Member

Looking hot bud...lets see some dizzler pics!

Oh and Fish Ranch in Houston is the place to go for sure...The high-end shop is cool to look in and get ideas, but buy else where. They get enough money from the corporations and rich River Oaks snobs.

Last edited by RedAggie03; 03/04/2011 at 06:57 AM.
RedAggie03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/04/2011, 08:38 AM   #13
ange062
Registered Member

Thanks Jason! And you are the one that told me about Fish Ranch, you still have the clown loaches and tropheus doboisi's I bought! LOL

I'll put up some DSLR pics tonight, got a couple last night but it was still a little cloudy, looked crystal clear this morning.

Unread 03/04/2011, 08:00 PM   #14
ange062
Registered Member

So as I mentioned yesterday, I stopped by my trusty LFS to find a brand new delivery of liverock in. There was a bunch of nice looking pieces, lots of shapes, sizes, and colors. I even found a couple pieces with corals and thought "those are keepers!". So, I picked out 11lbs worth which brings my total now to 30lbs. Got the stuff for $3.99/lb!! My LFS rocks (pun intended ).

I'm now done with additions to the tank for a while. Going to let it sit for a couple of weeks, then plan to add a CUC, and sometime later either a firefish or clown.

I got home, and it took me a while to get everything scaped the way I wanted, but I'm happy with the result. Even brought out the DSLR to snap some better pics. Let me know what you think, and give me suggestions for what to do next.

FTS:

LEFT FTS:

RIGHT FTS:

The Dood:

Green/Red Shrooms:

Polyps:

Unread 03/04/2011, 08:27 PM   #15
LaRue05
Registered Member

Looking sweet dude!! Kate blames you for getting me all excited about wanting to do this now too. She say's she's going to call you and give you a teacher's earfull.

LaRue05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/04/2011, 08:50 PM   #16
ange062
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaRue05 View Post
Looking sweet dude!! Kate blames you for getting me all excited about wanting to do this now too. She say's she's going to call you and give you a teacher's earfull.
LOL!! Stop complaining and just go buy your tank!!

Unread 03/04/2011, 10:16 PM   #17
RedAggie03
Registered Member

Looks nice for a noob...

Unread 03/05/2011, 12:25 PM   #18
LaRue05
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ange062 View Post
LOL!! Stop complaining and just go buy your tank!!
I'm waiting till after we get back from our Spring Break Vail trip to purchase anything. That will give me another couple weeks to do more research and truly plan things out.

Also I ordered a Reef Life book recommended by some people on this site for $4 on Amazon. Gonna give that a read as well.

Unread 03/06/2011, 02:47 PM   #19
ange062
Registered Member

So I did my first water change yesterday and cleaned out the mechanicals, I was starting to get a lot of debris floating so figured it was time. Amazing what it did for water clarity!

While at my trusty LFS, I also had my water tested again and everthing looked in line. Salinity was at 1.024, a little high for a FOWLR but perfect for a reef tank, and since i now have some hitchhiker corals figured that was good.

I couldnt resist the urge to get another fishy, and had the blessing of my LFS owner so picked up a firefish for $8. I was afraid at first the damsel was going to bully her. She hid for about 20hrs but today when the lights came on they were both kinda schooling together so all looks well.

In other news, I can see the beginning of an algea bloom starting, so going to have to add a CUC in about a week. Planning a couple ememerald crabs & hermits, plus about 6 snails.

Here is Bolt hangin with The Dood.

Unread 03/06/2011, 06:57 PM   #20
LaRue05
Registered Member

Check ebay for the CUC; you can get 100 snails for $3-4 plus shipping.
http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trk...All-Categories

Unread 03/06/2011, 08:34 PM   #21
ange062
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaRue05 View Post
Check ebay for the CUC; you can get 100 snails for $3-4 plus shipping.
http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trk...All-Categories
Honestly, I don't really trust ebay for livestock. I'm just goin to my trusty LFS. Prices are good, I can see the stuff before I buy, and pick it out myself and know its healthy.

Unread 03/07/2011, 03:36 PM   #22
RedAggie03
Registered Member

Also check out the forums. There are a lot of people in Houston that are willing to trade stuff.

Unread 03/07/2011, 08:37 PM   #23
ange062
Registered Member

So today I went and had my water tested to make sure that my biologicals were keeping up with my new bioload (aka Bolt the firefish). Everything is still looking great!
  • Salinity: 1.023
  • Ammonia: Very Faint Trace
  • Nitrite: 0
  • Nitrate: 10ppm
  • pH: 8.2
  • Alkalinity: 180

I've got the lighting timed out with my AC now, and the temps have been staying 77.5 to 81 so it seems stable in that regard. I'm currently running the lights for 6-hrs a day and the moonlight for 9-hrs.

I'll probably add a small CUC this weekend since the algea is really starting to bloom. Planning on getting:
  • 1 Emerald Crab
  • 6 Hermits (blue/red mix)
  • 4 Cerith Snail
  • 4 Nassarius Snail

I've also been thinking about what livestock I plan to add, and this is what I have come up with for an eventual goal over the next few months:
  • Yellowtail Damsel (The Dood)
  • Firefish (Bolt)
  • True Percula Clown
  • Flame Angel
  • Coral Banded Shrimp
  • Fire Shrimp

Unread 03/08/2011, 12:38 PM   #24
RedAggie03
Registered Member

The ammonia level might spike if we get drunk at your place one night...just letting you know now. **** happens you know...

Unread 03/08/2011, 12:43 PM   #25
fote03
Registered Member

Looks nice!

Tags
jbj, led, nano, radion, sps