Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/19/2019, 03:57 AM   #1
Jadran
Registered Member

Reef Octopus RODC 3500s Skimmer Pump problem

Good day all,

I have internal Reef Octopus skimmer powered by RODC 3500s Skimmer Pump thats been driving me crazy for a week now and hope some of you might have had such scenario and could possibly guide in direction how to put an end to that drama.
I bought this skimmer few years back but didnt put it in use till last december. Soalthough over 5 years old this is practically new device. Its been running for like 3 months and than one day out of the blue its pump simply stopped. When you swithch it on, controller lights up and after few seconds disconnects the pump. So its not electrical problem.
This is new tank, still cycling without much of live stock or any litttle invertabrates that could in theory crawl in / get sucked in or build up inside the pump. Not dosing (kalkwasser, balling, calc reactor ) but I disassembled it, cleaned it ( not much of dirt in anyhow) assembled it again and… nothing. Controller lights up, impeller not spinning, controller shuts it down again.
So I disassemble it again, put it back together again, trurned it on without voulte cover and
pinwheel spins, damned thing is working. Put a lid back on and its stucked again. So it is clearly
an mechanical issue: voute cover is jamming the impeller and thats why controller shuts it down after several seconds.

I've been putting the cover on and off every since, but still have not found what would jam the damn thing. There's nothing there. As I said its been driving me crazy for a days now and been entertaining the idea to smash it against the wall. Tried to push back impeller as much as I could and thats where it allends..
Any ideas?

Thx.

Current Tank Info: 120g anemone tank
Jadran is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/19/2019, 02:10 PM   #2
wishntoboutside
professional snow flake

I would recommend reaching out to CoralVue to get help with this support@coralvue.com

Current Tank Info: 450 gallon peninsula tank 72*48*30 filled with a bunch of frags and trying to grow them out.
wishntoboutside is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/20/2019, 12:48 AM   #3
Jadran
Registered Member

I wrote them already, but would not support product bought overseas. Wrote to RO to China as well, still waiting for their response... Easiest would be to get a new pump which I probably will, but this all feels like easyfix..

in the meanwhile I'll be running my good old loudly ati bubblemaster

Current Tank Info: 120g anemone tank
Jadran is offline   Reply With Quote