Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Unread 05/12/2006, 01:41 PM   #526
krajacich
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jallen1964
I was on the reefchili site and was wondering how much to buy.
I have a 72g tank and I only use about 1/4 tsp each time I feed. Just like Dennis I have 3 jars and I've only used about 1/2 of one....it lasts a LONG time.

You could also try freeze-dried cyclopeeze from Marinedepot, which is very similar to Reefchili but is a much brighter orange. Unlike the normal cyclopeeze you don't have to do overnight shipping since it's not a frozen/refrigerator product.

HTH

Current Tank Info: 72g bow reef tank with TBS package
Unread 05/12/2006, 02:44 PM   #527
patsan
Premium Member

It lasts a long time and goes a long way. I think I was the first one who regularly posts here to buy it. I bought 3 jars and they are larger than the jars he sells now, and I am still on the first one.
Try one for now John....see if you like it even though it's more expensive that way.

Current Tank Info: spectator
Unread 05/13/2006, 03:47 PM   #528
jharler
Premium Member

I posted these in my tank journal thread, but I thought I'd post them here too in case some of you don't read it. I got my second shipment yesterday, so my tank is all set up now. I hope you enjoy the pictures!

First, I'll start with the full tank shot:

Aquascaping was harder to do than I thought it would be. I think I did a pretty good job for a first try. What do you think? Notice all the snails at the water line? I don't know what they are doing there, I don't see any algae on the glass.

Here's a closer shot of the left side of the tank:

You can see the flower anemone much better in that shot. Also, notice the snail crawing on the cuke. Should I be concerned that he hasn't moved in nearly 24 hours? I hope he's not dead.

Here's a closer shot of the right side of the tank:

I think the condy finally found a place he likes. He's kinda hidden behind some rock, but I can still see him pretty well.

Here's one of the rocks I received in my second shipment:

Here's another:

In that shot, if you'll look at the "hermit attack" picture I posted yesterday, you'll see that the hermits really did a number to the algae on this rock. They scraped it bare. Good job guys!

I also got another big rock. Here's a picture of it:

There's a lot of coral on that rock, as well as some plant life that I can't ID.

Here's a better shot of the condy:

I love this picture:

The pepperment shrimp found this hiding place first, and then the new serpent star found it too. They are roommates now. You can see one of the cukes in the top right corner of the shot, invading their home. The pepperment shrimp didn't seem too happy, but the serpent star didn't seem to mind much.

Last night I spotted what I believe was a gorilla crab. Unfortunately, I have no way of getting him out of the tank. I need to buy one of those claws to extract him. I'm still hearing clicking, two or three clicks at a time. I don't know if it's a pistol shrimp or a mantis, as I haven't seen the source of the clicks yet.

Current Tank Info: 30 Gallon TBS
Unread 05/13/2006, 05:12 PM   #529
patsan
Premium Member

Very nice pictures Josh!!
I'm still amazed at how different everyone's rock looks this year compared to what we all got a long time ago.

What is that bright green stalky thing? It looks cool!

My cukes hardly moved at all. One died quickly, and I'd say the last one departed this world maybe 2 months later. We lost our last peppermint shrimp last month.

Actually, we just lost a cleaner shrimp. I never looked into the tank closely when we got home on Tuesday. Wednesday morning when I was feeding the tank, I didn't see it and mentioned it to Bob. He said he saw the both that morning, so I didn't look too hard for it. But now it's Saturday and I still haven't seen it...and I've looked hard for it, so I'd say it's gone.

As far as the clicking, you'll have to wait and see. I never had a mantis in the tank, but do have a nice large orange pistol. Sometimes it snaps away like it's beating a drum, and then other times we just hear single clicks. I don't think there is any one way to differentiate unless you actually see and know what's in the tank.

Unread 05/13/2006, 07:26 PM   #530
jharler
Premium Member

Thanks Pat!

According to Richard, that is a shaving brush from the Keys. He included it bagged as a freebie.

I've read through this entire thread (what a task that was!) and noticed a lot of people having bad luck with their cukes. The one is still in the same spot he was, but the other shed his skin (didn't know they did that) and has been wandering the rocks.

Sorry to hear about your shrimp. I enjoyed watching mine last night with the red flashlight run around the tank. He inspected each powerhead and the skimmer pump thoroughly, several times each.

If I recall right, mantis shrimp get bold and if I have one, he will probably reveal himself to me. I'll just have to keep an eye out. Hopefully it's a pistol.

Unread 05/13/2006, 08:13 PM   #531
Stormtrker
Registered Member

Josh, the cuke I got with my TBS is still alive-been about 10 months now. He slowly travels around the tank sifting sand. Also still have the flower anemone. The condy got too large for my tank and I traded him away. Your tank looks great! Really enjoying seeing the pics.

Unread 05/13/2006, 08:16 PM   #532
patsan
Premium Member

Sally has a HUGE cuke still left. She said it come out every night and cleans the sand.
Also, her condi is unbelievably large. It's like the centerpiece of their whole tank.

Unread 05/14/2006, 11:56 PM   #533
ratherbediving
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by patsan
Very nice pictures Josh!!
I'm still amazed at how different everyone's rock looks this year compared to what we all got a long time ago.

Actually, we just lost a cleaner shrimp. I never looked into the tank closely when we got home on Tuesday. Wednesday morning when I was feeding the tank, I didn't see it and mentioned it to Bob. He said he saw the both that morning, so I didn't look too hard for it. But now it's Saturday and I still haven't seen it...and I've looked hard for it, so I'd say it's gone.
I agree, Josh has some very nice pictures-- and some nice rock. It is amazing how much 'stuff' is on it. Very cool.

I just lost my cleaner shrimp last week. I have two theories; one is it simply starved to death (strange, since I would have thought there was enough food for him to scavenge) the second is lack of iodine. I never test for iodine-- I do 10% weekly water changes and figured that should be enough... but now I wonder. I've read that shrimp need iodine in after they molt to grow a new skin, and if there isn't enough iodine, they die. Any other ideas? I had my shrimp for about 9-10 months and I'd like to know what did it in before I get another.

Unread 05/15/2006, 05:37 AM   #534
bobt2
Registered Member

with the water changes you do, it,s not a lack of iodine. my bcs is 6 yrs old and i never added iodine to that tank

Unread 05/15/2006, 06:48 AM   #535
bobt2
Registered Member

i have a question for those of us with tbs over a year. all my bivalves are still going strong,but what are the odds of one dying and messing up the water? it has to happen some day, no? what is their expected life span in a tank?

Unread 05/15/2006, 10:15 AM   #536
drk70
Premium Member

Nice pics Josh. I still have my cukes and I see the one real big one all the time. Still have my pepermint shrimp also.

I don't add iodine to my tank and my shrimp molt all the time.

Bob - My tank is approaching 1 year now and I have lost a few turkey wings here and there and they have never messed up my water. When I notice them go I usually take them out though but I also think they get eaten pretty quick too.

Current Tank Info: 70g RR, DIY Stand & Canopy, 29g Sump, Mag 9.5 return, Aqua C EV-180 w/ Mag 7, 6-39W T-5 Retro Kit, 70g TBS package
Unread 05/15/2006, 11:51 AM   #537
jharler
Premium Member

Thanks for the compliments everyone. I'm happy to say that the cuke in question has since moved from that spot and seems to be happily investigating the tank.

Unread 05/15/2006, 01:00 PM   #538
elzool
Registered Member

One week old rock and I didn't test ammonia all weekend

I threw my back out Friday and couldn't change the water if I'd had to, so I didn't test either. It would have made me crazy if I'd had extreme levels and not been able to do anything about it.

Checked this AM and is is at .8

did a pwc just cause i wanted too see everything happy

now everything is open and smiling at me, all the snails and crabs have their feeder tube thingies out and critters are a crawling all over

man they love those changes

Unread 05/15/2006, 01:17 PM   #539
patsan
Premium Member

Sorry to hear about your back. I know the pain.

Bob, I don't think one death at a time would mess up your water parameters badly at all. I think I had one die recently...cause I saw a shell show up in the back of the tank. It was open with nothing in it. Water tested fine.

Unread 05/15/2006, 07:00 PM   #540
bobt2
Registered Member

i,m not sure pat. some are the size of baseballs and it's only a 33 tank.

Unread 05/15/2006, 07:41 PM   #541
jezzeaepi
Registered Member

Im so mad Im pretty sure that damn purple rock crab ate my serpent star =( He was right at the front of the tank every day for 2 months. Havent seen him now for over a week =( I found a mangled porcelain body, and noticed a small poreclain crab without one of his claws.

The crab on the other hand I had a run in with the other day. I didnt kill him outright but I stabbed him in the side with my giant tweezers and ripped off 3 legs before he quickly retreated to the depths of my rocks. Hopefully I did some damage to his main body section. Last I saw his main body was about 1 and 1/4 inches across.

Forget mantis and gorrilas, this guy is way worse.

Unread 05/16/2006, 07:23 AM   #542
beachroadbum
Premium Member

Hey Now all,

part 2 safely arrived yesterday and let me tell you...I am one happy camper. Richard is the man.

pics are next! Please tell me what you think!

take care,
Jared

Current Tank Info: 58 oceanic dsb/t5 4bulb teklight/vortech mp20/aquac ev180/aquac custom sump
Unread 05/16/2006, 07:23 AM   #543
beachroadbum
Premium Member

Current Tank Info: 58 oceanic dsb/t5 4bulb teklight/vortech mp20/aquac ev180/aquac custom sump
Unread 05/16/2006, 07:25 AM   #544
beachroadbum
Premium Member

Unread 05/16/2006, 07:27 AM   #545
beachroadbum
Premium Member

Unread 05/16/2006, 07:29 AM   #546
beachroadbum
Premium Member

Here is the full tank,

equipment:
deltec mce600 hang on skimmer
pfo pendant shell
ice cap electronic ballast
iwasaki 175watt 14K bulb

Unread 05/16/2006, 08:44 AM   #547
drk70
Premium Member

Jaredt - Nice tank pics.

IMO I would rid your tank of the condy and flower anemones now. The condy will get big and your tank isn't very big. It will also eat your fish if they are dumb enough to get too close and in that size tank when it gets big it will be hard for the fish to stay away. The flower anemone get fairly large too but once they get a good foothold in your tank they are a PITA to get out. I'm still trying to figure out how to get mine out. It has its foot extended way under the rock and when you mess with it it shrinks up so much it disappears.

jezzeaepi - How many times have you read on this thread that there is only one crab that you want in your tank and that is porcelin crabs. All the rest will eventually eat something you don't want it to.

Current Tank Info: 70g RR, DIY Stand & Canopy, 29g Sump, Mag 9.5 return, Aqua C EV-180 w/ Mag 7, 6-39W T-5 Retro Kit, 70g TBS package
Unread 05/16/2006, 10:22 AM   #548
Stormtrker
Registered Member

Hey Jaredt, how do you like your Deltec MCE600 skimmer? Have one on my 45G tank and love it. Your tank looks great! Agree with drk70 about taking out the condy anemone. Mine got huge and had to be removed. Still have the flower anemone in the 45G and it doesn't really take up much space. So far has been a model citizen.

Unread 05/16/2006, 10:32 AM   #549
beachroadbum
Premium Member

Hey Now,

Thanks for the replies guys!

shucks...

I thought that perhaps since the tank is 24 inches deep the condy would have plenty of room for a long while, but I really do not know how big they get.

In keeping this tank 100% gulf do you still think I should take the condy out?

Or...when it does outgrow the tank it would give me a good excuse to go bigger ??

How fast do condys grow?

Thanks!

take care,
Jared

Unread 05/16/2006, 10:34 AM   #550
beachroadbum
Premium Member

oh carlab

i LOVE my deltec mce600. I really love the fact that it is overflow proof...so when I travel I can sleep at night.

Closed Thread