Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/19/2018, 11:24 PM   #1
Lizzies2266
Registered Member

Does all fish in the same tank get ich?

If only 1 fish is showing symptoms, can i just quarantine that one fish and have a chance of the rest of the fishes be okay?

Lizzies2266 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/19/2018, 11:27 PM   #2
reefling
Registered Member

Best to do all and go fallow for 76 days

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

reefling is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/19/2018, 11:31 PM   #3
Reef noob_
Registered Member

There is a chance the other fish can fight it off and not show symptoms, but the disease is in your tank and will on some level affect all fish in the system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

New Build in progress http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2528685
90 gallon DT, 65 Gallon Fuge, Chinese LEDs, LPS and Soft coral reef
Reef noob_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/20/2018, 01:00 AM   #4
Bill_Moorman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzies2266 View Post
If only 1 fish is showing symptoms, can i just quarantine that one fish and have a chance of the rest of the fishes be okay?

No, just like you asked in your other post, you need to treat ALL fish and go fallow for 76 days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bill_Moorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/20/2018, 05:20 AM   #5
Tyler438
Registered Member

I just went through this, Listen to these guys and treat all fish and go fallow. I didn't at 1st and tried to treat the DT and it did not end well. I brought in a Valentini Puffer without qt first. It killed him, my coral angel, and my blenny. I was able to get the clowns out and treat them. Clowns just finished treatment Sunday and are doing well. Now I'm waiting for the remaining day for the fallow period.

Tyler438 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/20/2018, 05:23 AM   #6
Rover88
Registered Member

Hi Tyler! Thank you for being a believer.

Lizzies, there is no getting around it. SOMEONE on some forum SOMEWHERE or in person will probably tell you its fine. Its not. Treat the fish. :P This is not a new problem and the wheel isn't be reinvented.

Read through this.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=1992196

Rover88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/20/2018, 06:03 AM   #7
eastlake
Registered Member

Like everyone else said, once it's in there it's in there until there are no more fish to feed on. Even if you don't see symptoms on the other fish it's more than likely that they have it in their gills or other places that you can't see. You'll have to take the fish out, quarantine and treat them and let the display tank lay fallow for no less than 76 days

eastlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/20/2018, 06:20 AM   #8
lapin
Registered Member

So now that we have decided it is ich and to treat the fish. We will let the display tank go fallow for 76 days. What is the best method to treat for ich, with the least stress on the fish?

Current Tank Info: Interior decorating happening
lapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/20/2018, 06:47 AM   #9
Tyler438
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapin View Post
So now that we have decided it is ich and to treat the fish. We will let the display tank go fallow for 76 days. What is the best method to treat for ich, with the least stress on the fish?
I am a newbie and found the copper treatment easiest for me. Read the directions and follow exactly. My clowns didn't seem stressed at all, I did notice there pupils seemed dilated the 1st few days but I feed them flakes with garlic morning and night and Brine shrimp afternoon snack every other day to keep them fat and happy.

https://www.amazon.com/Seachem-67105...70_&dpSrc=srch

Tyler438 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/20/2018, 07:15 AM   #10
billdogg
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapin View Post
Take a look at the sticky on Tank Transfer Method (TTM) It requires no meds whatsoever. You can do it with a set up as simple as a few 5g buckets, heaters and airstones. It is certainly my preferred method and all new fish go through it before they get anywhere near my DT.

Although the use of copper will works, it is toxic to the fish if to mush is used, and worthless if not enough is used. Because copper test kits are not terribly accurate, attaining and keeping the copper at therapeutic levels can be problematic. TTM requires that you measure nothing more than time.

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer

Last edited by billdogg; 07/20/2018 at 07:23 AM.
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/20/2018, 11:12 AM   #11
reefling
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdogg View Post
Take a look at the sticky on Tank Transfer Method (TTM) It requires no meds whatsoever. You can do it with a set up as simple as a few 5g buckets, heaters and airstones. It is certainly my preferred method and all new fish go through it before they get anywhere near my DT.

Although the use of copper will works, it is toxic to the fish if to mush is used, and worthless if not enough is used. Because copper test kits are not terribly accurate, attaining and keeping the copper at therapeutic levels can be problematic. TTM requires that you measure nothing more than time.
Copper is great at masking the symptoms long enough to make you think there is no disease, unless you have enough. I got the copper Hanna checker because it is such a pain.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

reefling is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/20/2018, 02:22 PM   #12
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdogg View Post
Take a look at the sticky on Tank Transfer Method (TTM) It requires no meds whatsoever. You can do it with a set up as simple as a few 5g buckets, heaters and airstones. TTM requires that you measure nothing more than time.
^^^^This^^^^^ The least stressful, most say easiest, clearly great advice.

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/20/2018, 02:26 PM   #13
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler438 View Post
I just went through this, Listen to these guys and treat all fish and go fallow. I didn't at 1st and tried to treat the DT and it did not end well. I brought in a Valentini Puffer without qt first. It killed him, my coral angel, and my blenny. I was able to get the clowns out and treat them. Clowns just finished treatment Sunday and are doing well. Now I'm waiting for the remaining day for the fallow period.
Thank you Tyler for sharing your experience with us.
Too many waste valuable time trying things outside of the only three which WILL work. I am glad to hear you have been successful saving you clowns.

Ick is a PITA

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/21/2018, 09:51 AM   #14
nereefpat
Registered Member

It would be insane to remove one fish, treat it for ich, and then put it back in the display containing fish

Current Tank Info: 125 in-wall , 40b sump. 6 bulb T5. ASM G2 skimmer. LPS and leathers
nereefpat is offline   Reply With Quote