Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/24/2015, 12:12 AM   #51
jason2459
Registered Member

So, after looking over all three results together overall it's not crazy. Definitely some anomalize like I already mentioned above like with the calcium and Mg going in different directions and should have remained pretty much the same. The jump in Br is baffling and the Aluminum and Iron now showing up... ok it's wacky in places but overall seems ok but I'm glad I have two others and my own testing to compare against to keep things in check. So, basically I can't trust anything 100% but it's all accurate enough. Just like I've always said about API Nitrate, Calcium and Alk tests but boy are they a lot cheaper. HA! So, I'll ignore those readings and trust my own.

But it looks like the Zinc is in a declining trend and some metal be it tin, aluminum, or iron is processing through my system no idea what. I do have some polyfilters on hand for those just in case situations and I think I'll add some in between my baffles leading to my return pump. Leave it in there for a few days and see if it changes any colors besides detritus build up.

As for dosing. I certainly will not be dosing Iodide anymore or ever again but I may keep dosing Sr/Mo but just add it to my Salt Mix along with a little bit of Mg. I'm going to be making some new salt mix this weekend and will calculate out how much I should add to each new bach. It wont be much as I wouldn't mind keeping it where it's at. From my understanding goniopora likes Sr/Mo? I have a small pretty red goniopora I'd like to see take off and the little bit of the Sr/Mo added to the salt mix. I don't think will hurt anything and I have a big bottle of it anyway so may as well use it. In the spring when I do another Triton comparison testing I will see where those values are and by then hope to see any kind of results with the goniopora as well. I do want to get the Mg back closer to 1350 so will hold off on adding Mg this weekend and test before the next batch in another month or so. Then work out what little bit I should add to keep it there.

I have learned over the past couple months doing the Nitrate comparison testing, PO4 comparison testing, Triton vs Me testing, and this AWT vs Triton vs Me vs Triton again and again testing:

•I can generally trust myself in testing the basic major elements.
•All testing is susceptible to testing error some places more then others (*cough* AWT *cough*)
•Most all test kits are accurate enough so pick one you can perform consistently and able to read the end points
•Red Sea Mg Pro is the only test kit I have not gotten consistent results with so will never use it again and tossing it in the trash. YMMV
•Dosing with out testing is risky
•Testing to determine dosing can cause anxiety
•A single test or data point is unreliable and with out trends can be misleading
•Using your eyes to pay attention to how your tank is "Acting" can be better then any test
•Do not change what is not broken
•Don't be close minded and opposed to change
•I love my veegee /vitalsine salinity refractometer

So, I guess for now that's it. In a few days I'll pull out the polyfilter and post up a picture of it seeing what color it's turned and if it indicates any metals but there are limits to how much even it can pull out.

You can check out my parameters at reeftronics dot net website and look for my username.

Current Tank Info: 180g mixed reef w/ a beananimal overflow to a dolomite RRUGF. | 20g long G. Smithii Mantis Tank

Last edited by jason2459; 12/24/2015 at 12:17 AM.
jason2459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/28/2015, 11:54 AM   #52
jason2459
Registered Member

Not seeing any hint of anything being picked up by the polyfilter other then detritus, bacteria, and various critters.

You can check out my parameters at reeftronics dot net website and look for my username.

Current Tank Info: 180g mixed reef w/ a beananimal overflow to a dolomite RRUGF. | 20g long G. Smithii Mantis Tank
Unread 02/04/2016, 05:20 PM   #53
jason2459
Registered Member

Just an update on my next adventure

Big 3 Shootout is coming together and will be done in the next couple weeks.

Alk Tests:
AWT (Aquamedic Water Testing)
API
Salifert
Redsea
Nyos
Elos
Hanna Checker

Ca Tests:
AWT
Triton
API
Salifert
Redsea
Nyos
Elos

Mg Tests:
AWT
Triton
Salifert
RedSea
Nyos
Elos

Unread 02/04/2016, 06:39 PM   #54
bertoni
RC Mod

This should be interesting.

Unread 02/08/2016, 10:36 AM   #55
MarineDepot
Sponsor

Thumbs up Water Test Challenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason2459 View Post
Just an update on my next adventure

Big 3 Shootout is coming together and will be done in the next couple weeks.
Following along!

MarineDepot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/08/2016, 01:57 PM   #56
jason2459
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertoni View Post
This should be interesting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineDepot View Post
Following along!

Thanks, I'll open a new thread for it and will link to it here. I should have everything I need by this Wednesday.

Unread 02/09/2016, 03:41 PM   #57
bdsage
Registered Member

When testing alk. with red sea-natural seawater is 6.7 and my tank is 7.7 and api- reads 8 for natural seawater and 10 for my tank so which test should i trust? I use natural seawater for reference and in my tank.

Current Tank Info: 40b. sps, Metal Halide,big skimmer,lots of flow, barebottom, natural seawater.
bdsage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2016, 03:53 PM   #58
jason2459
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdsage View Post
When testing alk. with red sea-natural seawater is 6.7 and my tank is 7.7 and api- reads 8 for natural seawater and 10 for my tank so which test should i trust? I use natural seawater for reference and in my tank.
I have no experience with the Alk kit from red sea but I will soon enough in the next couple days. I've gotten fairly reliable results from API for Alk and comparable to Salifert. Though 8 is a bit high for NSW which tends to be ~7. What are the expiration dates?

Unread 02/09/2016, 04:32 PM   #59
bertoni
RC Mod

I would guess that either is close enough, but there's no way to determine which is closer without a reference solution.

Unread 02/09/2016, 06:22 PM   #60
bdsage
Registered Member

api-04/19,red sea-01/18. maybe in your future comparison's you could use a known reference solution...

Current Tank Info: 40b. sps, Metal Halide,big skimmer,lots of flow, barebottom, natural seawater.
bdsage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2016, 07:39 PM   #61
bertoni
RC Mod

Alkalinity kits do tend to read lower levels as the water evaporates from the liquid reagent. That might be part of the issue here.

Unread 02/09/2016, 08:14 PM   #62
jason2459
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdsage View Post
api-04/19,red sea-01/18. maybe in your future comparison's you could use a known reference solution...
Both are far from expired.

I did use an alk reference in that API vs Salifert thread linked to above. As well as the PO4 one. But precision is not as much of a concern to me as accuracy with in a range and even more so consistency.

Unread 02/10/2016, 10:41 AM   #63
jason2459
Registered Member

Quote:
Following along!
Well, I may not be able to include the Hanna Alk checker. I just got it in from Marine Depot and the reagent that is in it is recalled. Lot# 5583

https://hannainst.wufoo.com/forms/w1hzjs2j1b4ejyu/

"Your HI755-26 Alkalinity Checker Reagent needs to be replaced. "

That's quite disappointing.

Unread 02/10/2016, 09:35 PM   #64
jason2459
Registered Member

Boom!

Unread 02/11/2016, 10:37 AM   #65
MarineDepot
Sponsor

Exclamation Oh no!

Quote:
Well, I may not be able to include the Hanna Alk checker. I just got it in from Marine Depot and the reagent that is in it is recalled. Lot# 5583

https://hannainst.wufoo.com/forms/w1hzjs2j1b4ejyu/

"Your HI755-26 Alkalinity Checker Reagent needs to be replaced. "

That's quite disappointing.
Did it have a sticker anywhere that said PASSED on it?

I know we had inventory where the reagent lot #'s would still come up as needing to be replaced even though they had passed Hanna's inspection (hence the sticker).

Please give us a call today so we can get to the bottom of this: 1-800-566-FISH (3474)

Unread 02/11/2016, 10:49 AM   #66
jason2459
Registered Member

Quote:
Did it have a sticker anywhere that said PASSED on it?

I know we had inventory where the reagent lot #'s would still come up as needing to be replaced even though they had passed Hanna's inspection (hence the sticker).

Please give us a call today so we can get to the bottom of this: 1-800-566-FISH (3474)
Would that Passed be on the outer cardboard? I don't recall if it did or didn't. I'll have to look when I get home later. I already put in on that hanna recall site to have a new one sent to me but it said 4-6 weeks!

Unread 02/11/2016, 10:50 AM   #67
jason2459
Registered Member

Big 3 shootout thread started

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=24321203

Unread 02/15/2016, 10:59 AM   #68
MarineDepot
Sponsor

Post Hanna Recall

Quote:
Would that Passed be on the outer cardboard? I don't recall if it did or didn't. I'll have to look when I get home later. I already put in on that hanna recall site to have a new one sent to me but it said 4-6 weeks!
According to our Hanna buyer, there would be a green sticker on the outside of the box that seals it shut. We ship orders from a couple of warehouse locations in the US. If you wouldn't mind PMing us your order #, I'd love to see where yours shipped from. I know all the inventory at my location was inspected by our purchasing department. Sorry again for the inconvenience. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Unread 02/15/2016, 11:17 AM   #69
jason2459
Registered Member

On thanks. I still need to check for that seal. PM will be sent shortly.

Unread 02/17/2016, 08:09 PM   #70
jason2459
Registered Member

The bottle doesn't have a passed sticker on it. And unfortunately I'm not sure where the cardboard sleeve that wrapped around the case went. So, I can't say if it did or didn't.

Unread 02/22/2016, 09:56 AM   #71
MarineDepot
Sponsor

Hanna Recall

Quote:
The bottle doesn't have a passed sticker on it. And unfortunately I'm not sure where the cardboard sleeve that wrapped around the case went. So, I can't say if it did or didn't.
I sent this PM last week. Not sure if you received it but just pasting here in case.

We confirmed it shipped from our Garden Grove, CA location where we physically inspected all the inventory. Our buyer also says "he also purchased the Checker, which is fine. It was only the reagents 25 ct that were affected."

Unread 02/22/2016, 10:49 AM   #72
jason2459
Registered Member

Quote:
I sent this PM last week. Not sure if you received it but just pasting here in case.

We confirmed it shipped from our Garden Grove, CA location where we physically inspected all the inventory. Our buyer also says "he also purchased the Checker, which is fine. It was only the reagents 25 ct that were affected."
Perfect thanks!

Unread 12/07/2016, 08:59 AM   #73
ReefWreak
Registered Member

I haven't thanked you yet for this thread (Thank you!), but I saw this morning Marine Depot is offering 10% off the AWT tests, and looking into people's experiences, I bumped into this thread. It looks like you didn't have a chance to re-try AWT again, so if you were interested, it looks like MD has it on sale 10% off currently. Might as well save some money if you were planning on doing it again.

Happy holidays, and thanks for being an awesome contributor to RC and the hobby!

ReefWreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/07/2016, 01:41 PM   #74
jason2459
Registered Member

Good bump. I actually have another AWT kit ready to go and a Triton one. I'm combining with a ceramic block test for al and testing to see gfo's capabilities to remove Al. I just need to get a new saltmix I haven't tested yet so it can then go in my saltmix parameter thread. But have been busy with a vibrant testing thread....many things going on with limited time. I know what saltmix I want to test and will also leverage my tank biology upclose thread too as its supposed to have billions of active bacteria in it.

I'll essentially be killing 500 birds with one stone here soon.

Unread 12/15/2016, 11:11 AM   #75
canadianeh
Registered Member

I wish you can include another digital tester Exact Idip 570nm Marine kit

canadianeh is offline   Reply With Quote