Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/21/2019, 05:57 AM   #1
PCguy21
Registered Member.

Yellow tang wont eat in larger tank.. only in small tank.

So i recently moved my 4 inch yellow tang from my 2nd display tank to my main display tank for ammonia reasons, but i actually had him in my 5.5g tank for a few hours.. In that tank he actually ate mysis.. his belly is kinda shrunken in from no food for the last 4 days, in my main tank i overfed the crap out of it with various foods including mysis nori flakes, pellets he wont touch any of it. Im wondering if i should throw him back in the 5.5g tank to just get him to eat lol.

what do you guys think ?

PCguy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2019, 07:23 AM   #2
ROB2005
Reefing Is My Passion!

Way too small of a tank. Should be housed in a tank 200 gallons or larger as these guys
like a lot of swimming room.

Current Tank Info: 75 gallon corner overflow, 4-54W T-5 , dozen blue hermits, tiger pistol/yellow watchman goby, royal gramma, banghai and pajama cardinals
ROB2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2019, 07:32 AM   #3
nereefpat
Registered Member

Probably just needs time to adjust.

Current Tank Info: 125 in-wall , 40b sump. 6 bulb T5. ASM G2 skimmer. LPS and leathers
nereefpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2019, 08:36 AM   #4
PCguy21
Registered Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROB2005 View Post
Way too small of a tank. Should be housed in a tank 200 gallons or larger as these guys

lol ok.. that wasnt my question buddy why do people like you have to pop up all the time it gets extremely frustrating. You really think ima keep it there perm ? I said just to get it to start eating, since it ate only in that tank. Its either put him in there to get him to start eating, or i guess watch his belly and body shrink because he wont eat in my main tank for some reason. smfh

Unread 03/21/2019, 08:45 AM   #5
dadnjesse
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROB2005 View Post
Used to be 100 gallon now it's up to 200.

dadnjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2019, 09:07 AM   #6
jlmawp
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCguy21 View Post
lol ok.. that wasnt my question buddy why do people like you have to pop up all the time it gets extremely frustrating. You really think ima keep it there perm ? I said just to get it to start eating, since it ate only in that tank. Its either put him in there to get him to start eating, or i guess watch his belly and body shrink because he wont eat in my main tank for some reason. smfh
The tang police are everywhere...be afraid.

In all seriousness, though, your post wasn't the clearest. You said you moved him from your 2nd display to your main. Was he not eating only after that move? Before the move? When did you put him in the 5.5 gallon and why? I had to go back and read again because on first read-through, it seemed like you were saying he had been in the 5.5 all along.

I can understand ROB's comment (200 is a bit of a stretch but the comment is valid considering the phrasing you used).

Let's all just chill and get the full story and go from there.

jlmawp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2019, 04:08 PM   #7
RioReefr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCguy21 View Post
In that tank he actually ate mysis
Yellow Tang are vegetarians, they will starve themselves before eating anything meaty. Go to a Japanese/Korean super-market, buy some Nori sheets, cut a piece and rubber-band it to a rock and toss it in. I guarantee you -- he will eat it.

They are also more a hunt and peck fish. You might not even realize, but he might be pecking at rock algae. IMO, they get "spooked" easily so just let him alone. He will be fine.

RioReefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2019, 04:15 PM   #8
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by nereefpat View Post
Probably just needs time to adjust.
+1
My yellow eats everything including flake, pellet, Mysis and Brine.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (103.3 KB, 12 views)
Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2019, 06:09 PM   #9
dadnjesse
Registered Member

My Yellow Tang also eats whatever I feed him

dadnjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/23/2019, 02:34 AM   #10
PCguy21
Registered Member.

maybe its just this yellow tang, ive had one in the past who ate good.. but this one wont touch anything.. odd thing was he was fat in the local fish store.. Ill need to ask them what food they fed him, i already tried sushi paper.. doesnt touch it, i put some on a clip where he hangs out, some where he hides, and some in other spots and even broke some up in the tank to float around, he just completetly ignores it while my foxface tears it up. My kole tang is the same way but he eats the algae on my rocks and walls of my tank, i see him pooping like 4 times a day so he seems to be getting enough to eat lol.