Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/26/2019, 02:17 PM   #1
CTaylor
Registered Member

battery backup

Hi Roger,

Tunze does not have a battery back up for the streams, right? I know tunze has that nice switch to switch over to back up power, but doest have an actual back up power source, right?
What do you suggest, if anything?
I understand that a back up for a computer (famous brand APS) is not freasible to back up for the pumps b/c computer back ups are for high current for short time (?) and the streams are low current for a long time (???).
So the other idea was to get a battery similar to that for a car (?) and hook that up to the tunze back up switch, then to the stream (?)

Let me know your thoughts when you can. I started thinking about this last night during a power outage! I have a generator.. never used, but it was midnight, and it woudl be a PIA to start it up in the middle of the night. A back up for pumps would be nice if I needed it for a few hrs til I figure out what to do next.

TY!

CTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/26/2019, 02:34 PM   #2
rvitko
RC Sponsor

The safety connector is just a battery back up without the battery and charger. We do it that way because batteries are heavy and dangerous and expensive to ship. You can use any 12V battery, a disposable lantern battery will run a pump 1-2 hours, a 10 amp hour SLA for 8-12 hours. You can also then replace the battery easily and you just need the charger that is appropriate for the battery you choose. For that matter you could connect a solar charger and recharge the battery during a sunny day and have an even longer run time.

You can use a UPS, the draw back is that converting 12VDC to 120VAC and back to 24VDC from the power supply is inefficient so the UPS likely has some equivalent of the 10 amp hour SLA inside and you are using the power supply of the pump so it runs at the full 24V, it will last just a couple hours.

"He's for every one of us, stands for every one of us, he'll save every man, woman and child in a mighty Flash!"

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon planted tank with Altum Angelfish
rvitko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/26/2019, 03:44 PM   #3
CTaylor
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvitko View Post
The safety connector is just a battery back up without the battery and charger. We do it that way because batteries are heavy and dangerous and expensive to ship. You can use any 12V battery, a disposable lantern battery will run a pump 1-2 hours, a 10 amp hour SLA for 8-12 hours. You can also then replace the battery easily and you just need the charger that is appropriate for the battery you choose. For that matter you could connect a solar charger and recharge the battery during a sunny day and have an even longer run time.

You can use a UPS, the draw back is that converting 12VDC to 120VAC and back to 24VDC from the power supply is inefficient so the UPS likely has some equivalent of the 10 amp hour SLA inside and you are using the power supply of the pump so it runs at the full 24V, it will last just a couple hours.
Hi Roger,
Do you know of a video of how I woudl connect a batteryt like disposable lantern battery to the tunze safety swithc then to the pump? Im' clueless.
what is an SLA?
I might have sounded more knowledgeable about this than I really am in my first message!

TY!

Unread 11/26/2019, 03:56 PM   #4
rvitko
RC Sponsor

This is an older video, but it covers just about everything-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEQbTZuCkZk&t=455s

SLA is sealed lead acid, these can't spill or leak acid, it is what backs up your alarm or runs a kids power wheels toy.

"He's for every one of us, stands for every one of us, he'll save every man, woman and child in a mighty Flash!"

Unread 11/26/2019, 04:27 PM   #5
CTaylor
Registered Member

Do you know if people can connect these:
https://www.amazon.com/12v-10Ah-SLA-.../dp/B004WENYYE
together to run longer? or will that just increase the power , but still only run the same 8-12 hours?
Do I just somehow connect the terminals of that battery to the tunze safety connector?
This might not be your expertise, so if you dont know the answer, I totally understand!

***I DIDNT SEE YOUR RECENT POST WHEN I POSTED THIS ONE. I'll look at the video you sent. It may have the answers there TY!!!!

Unread 12/02/2019, 09:13 AM   #6
rvitko
RC Sponsor

If you connect them in parallel you will get a longer run time, but the easier way is to just get a bigger battery. In series you will get 24V so the pump runs stronger, but this complicates charging and the stronger pump draws more amperage. You need to buy or make a battery connector, most of the small battery use simple spade terminals so this is an easy DIY with terminal connectors. You also need a suitable trickle charger.