Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Southwest Tank And Reef Society (STARS)
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/16/2010, 10:47 PM   #1
ahlebik
Registered Member

Gotta love water

When I looked down to unlock the front door there was water coming out from under the door. Panic set in as horrible images of my tank in pieces in the living room raced through my head.

Low and behold as I open the door there is my tank.... perfectly fine....

The culprit? The pressure line in the bathroom broke and pretty much blew a hole in the master bedrooms wall... filled that room up, then the hallway, proceeded to the kitchen then the living room.

So no the RO/DI unit wasnt left on. The tank didnt crack/break/fall... just a normal waterline that ruined so much... The skimmer cleaning better half just gave me a "little bit" of a hard time after the sigh of relief when I ran to the tank first before finding the leak and stopping it.

ahlebik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/17/2010, 06:30 AM   #2
ryan_paskadi
Registered Member

Thats sucks.... Sounds like a good time to call your insurance agent and remodel your house.

ryan_paskadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/17/2010, 08:19 AM   #3
TimGentry
Registered Member

Smile Water leak

Of course any normal saltwater loving hobbyist would run in panic to his fish tank first in this situation! makes sense to me. Fish and Corals first I say! Everyone and everything else are on their own!

Current Tank Info: 100g Mixed Reef
TimGentry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/17/2010, 09:08 AM   #4
nmnative
Registered Member

Glad to hear that it wasn't your tank, but is still going to a big mess to clean up. Water can ruin so many things so quickly. Good luck with your insurance company, I hope they don't give you any trouble. I've been happy with the company I am with.

nmnative is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/17/2010, 08:06 PM   #5
jmait769
-CSHFLW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahlebik View Post
The pressure line in the bathroom broke and pretty much blew a hole in the master bedrooms wall... filled that room up, then the hallway, proceeded to the kitchen then the living room.
One of my worst fears!! My friend in Alamogordo received a $600 water bill one month. That was when he discovered a broke waterline under the house!! This was a costly repair and he still owed for the water!! Hope all is well for you now!!!

Jay

Current Tank Info: 150 Gallon, Marco Rocks, 8x80W ATI Powermodule, Apex, Super Reef Octopus XP-3000 external
jmait769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/18/2010, 06:25 AM   #6
ryan_paskadi
Registered Member

I left my water running all night. And now my back yard has about 5 inches of water sitting on it. Saw one of my pond frogs swimming on my patio.

ryan_paskadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/18/2010, 07:48 AM   #7
psuedopimp
Registered Member

sorry to hear about the damage to your house.

last january when i put in my sprinkler system, i tied into the main with a ball valve and sometime in the middle of the night it popped off, filled up all the trenches and left about 4 inches of water in my back yard.
the water bill wasn't that bad, it was redoing the trenches in that heavy clay that was the worst part, and since they determin your sewer usage in that month, our waste water bill was high all year.

someone told me that you can go to the utilities and explain that you had a leak and they may not clear your bill, but they may spread it out over a couple of months

Unread 06/18/2010, 09:33 PM   #8
ahlebik
Registered Member

Pulled up the carpet and ran fans under it for 2 days. The dehumidifiers been running around the clock. Its the water/electric bill thats going to be rough.

The area under my tank didnt appear to get wet... Im glad I would hate to have it go through the floor.

Guess I will have to wait on the next tank purchase... unless someone gets the rose off the glass and gives me a call... *wink wink*

ahlebik is offline   Reply With Quote