Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/06/2018, 10:37 AM   #1
Esper
Registered Member

Any Mid-Range T5 Fixtures?

There seems to be a gap in the market between super cheap (Odyssea, Coralife, Sunblaze) and super expensive (ATI, Giessman) T5 light fixtures. I already have a good retrofit kit with ATI ballasts and new bulbs, but I’m not very crafty and my DIY fixtures leave a lot to be desired.

Anyone know any good mid-range fixtures? Looking specifically for a 24” long 4-bulb fixture that is 10” wide or less, so as to fit my 20g long (that is 12” wide).

Unread 12/06/2018, 04:26 PM   #2
cody6766
Super Best Friends!

A Tek light will run you about $225. They're great lights and have been growing coal in many tanks for many years

Current Tank Info: Cadlights 60G Arisan II mixed reef with 2x MP40s and 24" ATI
cody6766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/06/2018, 05:01 PM   #3
tom obrecht
Registered Member

I’m not sure there is much in between. I have used fixtures from Sunlight Supply in numerous applications. Although not ATI level they are priced right and maybe worth a look.

Unread 12/06/2018, 08:37 PM   #4
bblumberg
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esper View Post
There seems to be a gap in the market between super cheap (Odyssea, Coralife, Sunblaze) and super expensive (ATI, Giessman) T5 light fixtures. I already have a good retrofit kit with ATI ballasts and new bulbs, but I’m not very crafty and my DIY fixtures leave a lot to be desired.

Anyone know any good mid-range fixtures? Looking specifically for a 24” long 4-bulb fixture that is 10” wide or less, so as to fit my 20g long (that is 12” wide).
For 24" or 48" fixtures you can get horticultural lights relatively inexpensively. Search T-5 and horticultural light on Google and Amazon. I picked up a 48" 4-bulb fixture for my FW discus tank for less than $200.

Current Tank Info: 150G mixed reef (6x Blue Acro 20K Pro COB LEDs, 4x 80W T5 supplement), 150g fw discus (T5 lighting), 110G fw Angelfish (DIY LED lighting), 4 x 40 g frag tanks (DIY LED).
bblumberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/08/2018, 08:17 PM   #5
manateemark
Registered Member

I hadn’t realized this before you mentioning it. I personally don’t see all of the hype that these high end fixtures are able to provide that the cheaper fixtures can’t do. Is one really igniting the gassed inside the tube brighter?

manateemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/08/2018, 08:30 PM   #6
Pslreefer
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by manateemark View Post
I hadn’t realized this before you mentioning it. I personally don’t see all of the hype that these high end fixtures are able to provide that the cheaper fixtures can’t do. Is one really igniting the gassed inside the tube brighter?

It’s the cooling system that separates the high end from the low end. And of course better materials and hype

Pslreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/10/2018, 04:31 PM   #7
solitude127
Proud user of IO Salt!

Take a look at AquaticLife fixtures. I would consider those mid range

ReefKeeping.com TOTM Nov 2012
Socalireefs Featured Reef Oct 2011

Current Tank Info: 60*30*20, 8x54 ATI Powermodule, ReefBrite XHO, ATB Elegance 200, Aquamaxx CTech CaRx, Ecotech Vortechs, Apex Controls, WM Ecobak powered. RedSea Reefer 170, MP10, Apex Jr, Ecotech Radion XR15, Aquamaxx WS-1
solitude127 is offline   Reply With Quote