Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

View Poll Results: Which sump to buy???
eShopps R-200 3rd gen 5 71.43%
Skims Sumpro UP34 2 28.57%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Unread 05/25/2016, 03:27 AM   #1
T206
Registered Member

Cool Battle of the Sumps eSHOPPS R-200 vs Skimz

Please Vote trying to decide between the new eShopps R-200 3rd Gen vs the Skimz UP 34

http://www.eshopps.com/products/filters/refugium/r200/

http://skimz.sg/index.php?route=prod...product_id=167

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2016-05-25 at 2.26.45 AM.jpg (25.1 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2016-05-25 at 2.31.56 AM.jpg (21.7 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by T206; 05/25/2016 at 03:31 AM. Reason: photos didn't get added
T206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/25/2016, 05:43 AM   #2
Radioheadx14
Registered Member

I have the R200 an like it quite a bit. It's very quiet! with the lid on and the cabinet doors shut, its hard to hear as long as you have a filter sock in. With the sock out, the water feeding the skimmer section falls about 5 or 6 inches. The skimmer section has a nice foot print, the fuge compartment is fed unfiltered water and both have pretty equal water supply. If you opt against a fuge, it can be used as a frag tank too. It has white walls to prevent too much light spill to the other areas. Build quality is nice, and comes with the Spa hoses.

Only gripes: if you get a fish that goes down the drain, its very difficult to get it out of the drain section unless you have small hands. The return section is small and in the back, but most DC pumps and the Sicce pump fit with no problem. cleaning under the fuge can be a PITA, but its not that hard.

I have not used the Skimz, and but its a larger sump, so you might get more volume out of it, but the Eshopps at its current price is an awesome deal.

Radioheadx14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/25/2016, 07:44 AM   #3
Greybeard
Registered Member

I have a 3rd gen R100.

Small return compartment... there's an upside to that, helps prevent flooding your display if the overflow plugs... but yeah, it makes selecting a return pump a little tricky.

Biggest issue with the return compartment for me isn't that it's small, it's that it's in the middle of the back of the sump, where you can't see it or get at it easily.

Noise if you don't have a sock: I took a piece of 3" PVC and flared an end slightly, so that it fits into the sock hole snugly. Gives the waterfall a surface to cling to. Helps a lot.

I'm actually using the included ATO float valve. Works great for me, but most folks don't use it, and it takes up a little space in an already small return pump compartment.

Build quality is excellent, I'm happy with mine.

Greybeard is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eshopps, filtration, refugium, skimz, sump