Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/20/2017, 05:53 PM   #101
JVan82
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexChuck View Post
Thanks!! Congrats on the mandarin and fuge success. I'm on my 3rd load of macro - I'm using the middle section of the intank media basket, but I'm debating pulling the skimmer from the second half of 2 and replacing with the fuge basket to run more macro.

I keep encountering people going skimmerless in their BC's.

Congrats again on all the growth!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Never had a s kimmer as of yet, not that I'm hoodless it opens the door to choosing a skimmer

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

JVan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/21/2017, 02:11 PM   #102
TexChuck
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVan82 View Post
Never had a s kimmer as of yet, not that I'm hoodless it opens the door to choosing a skimmer

Are you looking at any units in particular?

I'm really, really tempted to yank mine and run macro the same way as you. I can ship a Tunze 9001 your way

TexChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/21/2017, 02:41 PM   #103
JVan82
Registered Member

I appreciate the offer.
Sadly I haven't heard anything good about any if the small skimmers, even Innovative marines ghost serious seem hit or miss... If worse coming to worse I'll add purigen again.

Unread 08/22/2017, 07:31 AM   #104
ReefWreak
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVan82 View Post
I appreciate the offer.
Sadly I haven't heard anything good about any if the small skimmers, even Innovative marines ghost serious seem hit or miss... If worse coming to worse I'll add purigen again.
If you're looking for a skimmer that fits chamber 2, that actually performs, the AquaMaxx WS-1 (or new 1.5/2) are real skimmers. You either need to leave the back hatch open or have the top off (you have your top off already), but man, it's a mean skimmer, and it's the first nano skimmer I've used that makes skimmate that smells like skimmate.

That being said, I'm still always contemplating whether it would be better to run an algal turf scrubber or a skimmer, and have never finalized on what would be best, but for now I have this skimmer and it works really well. I've been feeding a lot more, and have no algae issues other than my bubble algae that grows whether or not there's nutrients.

ReefWreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/22/2017, 07:52 AM   #105
JVan82
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefWreak View Post
If you're looking for a skimmer that fits chamber 2, that actually performs, the AquaMaxx WS-1 (or new 1.5/2) are real skimmers. You either need to leave the back hatch open or have the top off (you have your top off already), but man, it's a mean skimmer, and it's the first nano skimmer I've used that makes skimmate that smells like skimmate.

That being said, I'm still always contemplating whether it would be better to run an algal turf scrubber or a skimmer, and have never finalized on what would be best, but for now I have this skimmer and it works really well. I've been feeding a lot more, and have no algae issues other than my bubble algae that grows whether or not there's nutrients.
Thanks reef I'll keep that in mind!!

Unread 09/04/2017, 01:45 PM   #106
JVan82
Registered Member

Here are my settings for my lights, XR15 pro, and dual MP10s, settings are same for both MP10s. Thoughts advice suggestions welcome.

Unread 09/06/2017, 09:52 AM   #107
JVan82
Registered Member

Mandarin update!
So after being away for a week I got home Sunday made a new batch of baby brine, added them to the feeder I made based on Paul Baldassano's tutorial. And sucess!!!

Unread 09/08/2017, 09:26 AM   #108
TexChuck
Registered Member

Congrats!!!! Great pic of him eating... Live brine?

Unread 09/10/2017, 04:59 PM   #109
JVan82
Registered Member

Yes live baby brine shrimp

Unread 09/15/2017, 09:54 AM   #110
ReeferJody
Registered Member

Looks like a nice setup. Like the coarseness and depth of your sand. What type sand and how deep if you don't mind me asking. I was thinking about getting a biocube 32 myself but was wondering if the heat from having the top closed would be an issue. will definitely be following your posts as you go. Nice pics also. Hope you post some of your cleanup crew when you put them in.

ReeferJody is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/15/2017, 12:54 PM   #111
JVan82
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReeferJody View Post
Looks like a nice setup. Like the coarseness and depth of your sand. What type sand and how deep if you don't mind me asking. I was thinking about getting a biocube 32 myself but was wondering if the heat from having the top closed would be an issue. will definitely be following your posts as you go. Nice pics also. Hope you post some of your cleanup crew when you put them in.
Sand is CaribSea Arag-Alive, and I use 1 20 pound bag. I placed egg crate on the bottom of the tank and then put the rock on that, then added sand. As far as a clean up crew I started originally with:

Assorted Hermits x1
Blue Leg Hermit Crab x1
Dwarf Cerith x10
Nerite Snail x1 Dead soon after replace with Trochus Snails x2 1 left after hermit fancied his shell.

Unread 11/06/2017, 05:18 PM   #112
JVan82
Registered Member

Update time, things are going, dealing with hair algae which seems like everyone that started their bc32 roughly a yr ago is dealing with. Wanted to add some pics of the frags I picked up during reefers direct first live sale.

Unread 11/07/2017, 07:08 AM   #113
Smoke Inator
Registered Member

So you went with dual mp10s nice been thinking of that for mine

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Smoke Inator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/07/2017, 07:12 AM   #114
JVan82
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke Inator View Post
So you went with dual mp10s nice been thinking of that for mine

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yes had one, picked up the second on here and the battery backup.

Unread 11/07/2017, 09:50 AM   #115
TexChuck
Registered Member

Great coral pics!! I like the acro.

How goes the algae fight? Aggressive WC's seem to be helping with mine.

Unread 11/07/2017, 10:01 AM   #116
JVan82
Registered Member

I have a few new snails coming tomorrow, my sole snail is making a dent. So hoping they help out.

Unread 11/07/2017, 12:01 PM   #117
TexChuck
Registered Member

Good luck with the turbo snails!! I'm thinking about adding a couple myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unread 11/07/2017, 09:34 PM   #118
The Modest Reef
Registered Member

Nice job so far. Wish I had found this thread when I started my Biocube. I too have been tempted to go with the open top. Especially since I have to prop me lid open since upgrading to Steve's LEDs. But I keep thinking that I could have just bought the replacement biocube 32 for $130 if I was gonna do that. Plus, there are better looking rimless tanks out there. And then there is the evaporation. With my lid propped open a couple of inches, the evaporation is pretty severe. Can't imagine how bad it would be without a top

The Modest Reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/08/2017, 02:21 AM   #119
JVan82
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Modest Reef View Post
Nice job so far. Wish I had found this thread when I started my Biocube. I too have been tempted to go with the open top. Especially since I have to prop me lid open since upgrading to Steve's LEDs. But I keep thinking that I could have just bought the replacement biocube 32 for $130 if I was gonna do that. Plus, there are better looking rimless tanks out there. And then there is the evaporation. With my lid propped open a couple of inches, the evaporation is pretty severe. Can't imagine how bad it would be without a top
Thanks, it's been a learning curve for sure. Evap is a lot more than with the lid on, of course, but temp is way more stable. I only went topless cause I had a horrible experience with a light retofit.

Unread 01/25/2018, 04:18 PM   #120
Rico515
Registered Member

Hey JVan82,

Just read through your build. The tank is looking good. I was wondering what refugium light you are using since you are having success with growing chaeto in the InTank refugium basket?

Thanks,

Rico515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/25/2018, 05:21 PM   #121
JVan82
Registered Member

I currently am running the IM aguagadget fuge light. Going to be installing the aquamaxx WS-1 and idk if I will be able to keep the fuge basket. If I can I will upgrade to the chaetomaxx light.