Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/05/2014, 09:00 PM   #26
Jone
Registered Member

All glass heaters for me..broken glass heater,tripped breaker verses the negative possibilities with these plastic sheilded heaters..Be happy you were home when this happened..Wish the best for your situation..

Jone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/05/2014, 09:43 PM   #27
FlyPenFly
SPS Killer

Shattered glass heaters is pretty bad news.

FlyPenFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/06/2014, 07:08 AM   #28
AaronReeph
Registered Member

I'm anxious to see what Cobalt says/does for you.

Current Tank Info: 60g 24" Deep Blue Rimless RR Cube, Hydra 52 w/ Director, 2x MP10Wes, Basement sump w/ 100g Rubbermaid stock tank, RLSS 6i skimmer, Panworld 100PX return, Apex Lite
AaronReeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/06/2014, 07:21 AM   #29
clay12340
Registered Member

Sorry to hear that. Hope the cleanup is going well.

I'd suspect the goo is some sort of thermal grease to help transport heat from the element to the outside of the heater. Cobalt should be able to tell you exactly what it is, but who knows how timely or forthcoming they'll actually be.

If they don't get back to you quickly point them to this thread. Failure reports on busy boards are bad for business.

clay12340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/06/2014, 09:34 AM   #30
saltydog07
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronreeph View Post
i'm anxious to see what cobalt says/does for you.
+1

saltydog07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/06/2014, 09:49 AM   #31
d2mini
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyPenFly View Post
Shattered glass heaters is pretty bad news.
+1
Nothing but titanium heaters in the big tank, controlled by my Profilux.

I like this neotherm for my 8g nano, though.

Elos Diamond 120xl | Elos Stand | Radion G4 Pros | GHL Profilux Controller | LifeReef Skimmer | LifeReef Sump
Photos taken with a Nikon D750 or Leica M.
d2mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/06/2014, 10:43 AM   #32
FlyPenFly
SPS Killer

There was recently a thread about a titanium heater on fritz cracking the glass of a aquarium.

FlyPenFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/07/2014, 08:01 PM   #33
RocketCityNano
Registered Member

Did you hear back from the manufacturer?

RocketCityNano is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/07/2014, 08:48 PM   #34
HurricaneSystem
Registered Member

I own two of these. From the looks of your picture, something burned it inside of your sump. Then it was exposed to water possibly?

Could you have had a low water level in your sump and let the heater sit outside of the water, then poured water on top of it?

HurricaneSystem is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/07/2014, 08:51 PM   #35
fifthtoe
Registered Member

So far I haven't heard from cobalt.

fifthtoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/07/2014, 08:55 PM   #36
fifthtoe
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneSystem View Post
I own two of these. From the looks of your picture, something burned it inside of your sump. Then it was exposed to water possibly?

Could you have had a low water level in your sump and let the heater sit outside of the water, then poured water on top of it?
Heaters are placed in an area of sump that always has a constant water level even if flow stops. What you are seeing are the melted insides of the heater that blew out under water. There's nothing in my sump that could have burned the heater.

Unread 02/07/2014, 08:57 PM   #37
HurricaneSystem
Registered Member

Hmmm ok, sorry to hear.

I do know that my 200w act strange at times. I have had each of them just stop working and refuse to turn on. Then after a day or so, they just start working again. I wonder if that isn't some type of safety mechanism if they get too hot?

Let us know what Cobalt says, you have me a bit worried now.

HurricaneSystem is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/07/2014, 09:15 PM   #38
fifthtoe
Registered Member

I actually had two 200 watt neotherm heaters but after the first one failed, I took the second one out and replaced it with two glass heaters. I was worried that the neotherm could fail when I'm not home and fill my house with toxic smoke and harm my dogs.

Something I did notice a couple of weeks ago is that my amp readings on my apex changed a bit. It used to fluctuate around 1.5 - 5 amps and then suddenly changed to about 2 - 4 amps. Not sure what that means if anything.

Unread 02/11/2014, 12:20 PM   #39
Squidward5
Registered Member

any news?

Squidward5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/11/2014, 12:45 PM   #40
Reefvet
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidward5 View Post
any news?
The only news in this thread is ONE guy has had one fail and nobody else has had a problem or heard of anyone else having a problem.

Of all the things that break heaters and pumps are number 1 and number 2. If this was a common problem we'd all have read about it.

Reefvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/11/2014, 01:35 PM   #41
shifty51008
12-5 Chiefs record

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefvet View Post
The only news in this thread is ONE guy has had one fail and nobody else has had a problem or heard of anyone else having a problem.

Of all the things that break heaters and pumps are number 1 and number 2. If this was a common problem we'd all have read about it.
but the question we want to know is why it failed this way. We know heaters do fail, and I have heard of a few of these heaters failing but only on the off postion, which is a good thing and what they are designed to do. but to have it melt like that is what we wanna know.

Clownfish breeder
shifty51008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/11/2014, 09:43 PM   #42
cdmclaug
Registered Member

Hello, joined the forum because I had to share that this happened to me tonight as well. About 30 min ago I noticed a burning smell in the house and pinpointed it to my aquarium. First thought maybe it was the motor on the canister or even from outside since the windows were open, but then saw the crack lines on the heater. I pulled it immediately and began my internet search to see if this was a new issue as I had only seen positive reviews when I bought it back in November. I found this thread in a search I made of "neotherm 200 watt cracked." I did not have the stuff oozing out, but I had been by the tank about 20 minutes before without the smell. I think I was lucky to catch it so quick, but the smell was over powering right above the water. So far the smell has subsided rather quickly and the fish/shrimp are acting normal. Hope everything stays normal and I hope this is not the beginng of a bigger problem since I have a 25watt in the nano.

cdmclaug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/11/2014, 10:02 PM   #43
cdmclaug
Registered Member

Here are the pics. Cracked in two places. One crack one each side.

Unread 02/11/2014, 10:05 PM   #44
cdmclaug
Registered Member

Try again maybe...
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8t...it?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8t...it?usp=sharing

Unread 02/11/2014, 10:18 PM   #45
Tzwizzle
Registered Member

Was yours also fully submerged? I'm superstitious about fully submerging any heater.

Tzwizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/11/2014, 10:25 PM   #46
Squidward5
Registered Member

Quote:

I really think you should try reading the thread before posting in it. If you had you would have seen that most of all of the people responding here are wanting to know how Cobalt will deal with this, and what there response will be. This forum was created for reefers to discuss there experience with the equitment they use good or bad.

Unread 02/11/2014, 10:26 PM   #47
Silvergryphon
Registered Member

I had the same thing happen with a Cobalt Accu-therm heater that was glass. I happened to catch the flash out of the corner of my eye while working on my computer and found it blown in half.

Silvergryphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/11/2014, 10:32 PM   #48
Squidward5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmclaug View Post
Hello, joined the forum because I had to share that this happened to me tonight as well. About 30 min ago I noticed a burning smell in the house and pinpointed it to my aquarium. First thought maybe it was the motor on the canister or even from outside since the windows were open, but then saw the crack lines on the heater. I pulled it immediately and began my internet search to see if this was a new issue as I had only seen positive reviews when I bought it back in November. I found this thread in a search I made of "neotherm 200 watt cracked." I did not have the stuff oozing out, but I had been by the tank about 20 minutes before without the smell. I think I was lucky to catch it so quick, but the smell was over powering right above the water. So far the smell has subsided rather quickly and the fish/shrimp are acting normal. Hope everything stays normal and I hope this is not the beginng of a bigger problem since I have a 25watt in the nano.
Welcome to Reef Central These are starting to remind me of the stealths that were over heating. I am now thinking of going back to my Ehiems for the time being.

Unread 02/12/2014, 01:32 AM   #49
Reefvet
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidward5 View Post
I really think you should try reading the thread before posting in it.
I agree. If you read the thread you'll see my first post is the second one posted here.

Reefvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/12/2014, 01:51 AM   #50
shifty51008
12-5 Chiefs record

Quote:
I agree. If you read the thread you'll see my first post is the second one posted here.
Actually you only posted twice on this thread, you didnt even post on the 1st page, the post i quoted was your 2nd

Clownfish breeder
shifty51008 is offline   Reply With Quote