Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/10/2017, 11:24 PM   #1
huseMN
Registered Member

help me pick lighting for 96" x 30" x 24" deep tank

Getting ready to make a lighting purchase for my 8' tank and need some input.

96" long by 30" wide by 24" deep. It will mainly be SPS.

Looking at lighting half of the tank with 2 radium MH bulbs and supplemental T5's

Looking at lighting the other half with LED and supplemental t5's

I already have an old Radion LED fixture that I wanted to use and would need to purchase everything else.

What lights would you purchase? Heat is not an issue as I live in MN and cool most of the year. Electricity cost is a factor but coral growth and color is more of a factor.

Will having half the tank lit by MH and the other by LED's make the tank look "weird"

huseMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/10/2017, 11:33 PM   #2
scuzy
Registered Member

I would either go all in one light cause mixing half side tank with one type and another looks odd and colors would look off. Maybe go with 5-6 mitras or radios or two 48" ATI power modules.

scuzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/10/2017, 11:43 PM   #3
huseMN
Registered Member

Bummer I was hoping not to hear that it would look odd. Was curious to test different growth with different lights. I think the Mitras are out as I will have a canopy, they look slick though. Not looking to drop $4K on Radions. If I went with two 48" ATI's I would Assume 8 bulb would be preferred over the 6? I have never had T5 and not sure how the look compares to LED or Halides. How often do the T5 bulbs need changing?

Unread 07/11/2017, 12:15 AM   #4
mic209
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huseMN View Post
Bummer I was hoping not to hear that it would look odd. Was curious to test different growth with different lights. I think the Mitras are out as I will have a canopy, they look slick though. Not looking to drop $4K on Radions. If I went with two 48" ATI's I would Assume 8 bulb would be preferred over the 6? I have never had T5 and not sure how the look compares to LED or Halides. How often do the T5 bulbs need changing?

Vivid Aquariums had their display lit with halides on one side and Radions at the other, they tuned the radions to were you couldn't tell which half was lit by what. I seen the tank in person and could not tell. Google vivid aquariums 800 half LED for some articles on it, or PM me and I'll send you the links. Reef central filters it out.

mic209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/11/2017, 07:43 AM   #5
HaroldT
Registered Member

You can get a 4 Ft Cebu Sun with Radium 250 Watt and M80 ballasts with 4xT5 for less than $1000. The growth and color is awesome. https://hamiltontechnology.com/index...&product_id=66

I saw the Vivid tank a few times and you couldn't see a huge difference in the LED side vs the MH side. Two Vivid workers (Rudy & Jesus) both told me the coral growth was better under the MH side

HaroldT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/11/2017, 08:24 AM   #6
jda
Dogmatic Dinosaur

You could totally tell which side was lit by which when Vivid did this. The water looked different and so did the corals. They have stopped the last time that I visited town. I do get that most cannot tell, but if you are going to delve into acropora full time with a large investment, you will get to where you can.

Large and wide tanks are made for reflectors. MH on big reflectors will offer the best results and also be the cheapest way to light this. Four MH will do - 250W Radiums (like you wanted) is 1000W of power. You can add some T5 if you want, but not necessary.

The issue with the Cebu Sun is that it is not made to spread 30" back to front. Hamilton has a 20x20 reflector that will cover 24x30 quite nicely.

Large tanks are hard to light and have challenges that most folks know nothing about. I would get advice from people who have them, and not somebody who lights a cube and thinks that what they do will scale and is offering suggestions. tdb320reef lights a large tanks. So does Copps. Dr. Joshi. There are way more in the SPS section.

FWIW - T5 bulbs will go a year for nearly everybody if you don't overdrive them. So will all MH bulbs except for 14K phoenix that you can use for two years.

Lastly, figure out which type of SPS that you want to keep. Just saying SPS will get some comments from folks who keep montis and birdsnest which can be grow with screw-in CFL bulbs. Saying acropora will get different responses. Nobody know what you want to keep but you, but it does matter a lot.

jda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/11/2017, 02:13 PM   #7
huseMN
Registered Member

Interesting... So for Acros... Would 4-20x20 reflectors and some LED's or T5's be overkill?

I like the blue look of the tank when Halides turn off and for under $2K I could get 4 reflectors and some add on 4' long T5's. I think that may be a good option.

Unread 07/11/2017, 03:04 PM   #8
jda
Dogmatic Dinosaur

No, not overkill.

The Hamilton one that I was thinking of is the Cozumel Sun.

jda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/15/2017, 09:05 PM   #9
huseMN
Registered Member

Ok great, I have decided on the Cabo Sun system, 250Watt Radium on magnetic ballast. I will pick up 3 of them for now and will add a 4th down the road as corals fill in and if I think I need the extra light. I am hoping they will spread a 30" x 30" area which means I may only need 3 of them.

Now to decide on T5's or LED's for supplemental actinic. Thoughts?

Unread 07/17/2017, 11:18 AM   #10
sabodish
Registered Member

I had this same size tank and went with 4x400W halides supplemented with 4 4' VHO actinics...yes, it was back in the day.

sabodish is offline   Reply With Quote