Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/21/2018, 11:09 PM   #1
Phixman
Registered Member

New Tank

Over the last few months, I've been working on my new and final tank, meaning I will not upgrade to anything else. Anyways, my aquascape is finished and I've began to fill the tank with salt water to submerge the dry rock. I'm planning on just running the tank with a powerhead without doing any top off or running the sump since I'll be gone for a month and a half and just want to start the cycle and realized I will probably come back to a lot of algae. My question is, I wanted to put some live rock from my mature tank. There is a bunch of coraline, some nice starfish living in the rock, pods, etc. The only problem is, I realize that I'll be getting bad things too, and one of those is possibly some flatworms. I first noticed the flatworms all over a frogspawn and dipped the coral killing all of them, but noticed them again in the back chamber (sump) of my nuvo fusion. Is there a way or eliminating these things off of the couple rocks I chose to temperately put into my new tank to help cycle? I heard fresh water dipping will cause them to explode. Also, How many times should I dip my corals to make sure nothing bad carries o the new system?

Phixman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/22/2018, 07:15 AM   #2
JTL
Registered Member

Since you have so much time why not just seed it with a small piece of shrimp or some bacteria in a bottle. You may want to at least partially cover the top a month and a half is a lot of potential evap.

100 gallon DT and 50 gallon sump with refugium. Reefbreeders Photon V2+.
JTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/22/2018, 12:11 PM   #3
bertoni
RC Mod

I agree that the tank will build up a reasonable bacterial population without seeding. I don't know of any good way to be sure that all the pests are killed. What kind of flatworms are causing the problem?

Unread 06/22/2018, 01:58 PM   #4
Phixman
Registered Member

Will salinity affect the cycling process ? Also , they are the typical brown flat worms . I first thought my coral was browning , but noticed the spots moving later on.

Unread 06/22/2018, 10:07 PM   #5
bertoni
RC Mod

I'd keep the salinity at the standard reef SG if I wanted to grow the appropriate bacteria.

You could try a couple of doses of Flatworm Exit, a few days apart. That worked for me. I was very careful about removing flatworms prior to dosing and as they were dying, though. They can poison the tank badly, according to some people.

Unread 06/23/2018, 01:31 AM   #6
Phixman
Registered Member

I thought about doing that, I might have to do try flatworm exit on the live rock I'd want outside the tank. Since I'd be gone for a month a half, I will only have my vortech mp40 powerhead running in the new tank, no heater, no lights, no skimmer. Will temperature and salinity prevent my tank from cycling while I'm gone? It would be ideal to keep the salinity in place, but I won't be able to do much for the tank while I'm gone.

Unread 06/23/2018, 01:42 AM   #7
Phixman
Registered Member

Will dipping live rock in coral rx work the same way?

Unread 06/23/2018, 02:34 PM   #8
bertoni
RC Mod

I don't know whether Coral Rx will kill flatworms. You could try.

Personally, I would wait until I was back to set up the tank. Cycling the system won't take long, and a month and a half might be long enough to kill the appropriate bacteria, depending on the evaporation rate.