Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/11/2021, 05:54 PM   #1
kaz1961
Registered Member

Feeding a 10 gallon "critter" tank

I have a shelf under my 90 gallon that fits a 10 gallon tank. I am setting it up for my young grandchildren as a "critter tank". Going to put in a few snails, hermits and a crab. Dont want to put any fish so the CUC has nothing to CU! LOL Anyone have a tank like this and if so how do you feed it? I was thinking of dropping in a piece of krill, clam on the half shell etc, anything that will sink and take it out when the crab and hermits are done with it. Sound like a good idea? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

kaz1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/12/2021, 07:22 AM   #2
Timfish
Registered Member

Sounds like a cool tank! One of my frag tanks doesn't have any "dither" fish to provide ammonia and urea but it does have hermits, sally lightfoots, skunk cleaner shrimp and coral banded and small carribbean rose and tuxedo urchins and I drop in Spectrum pellets for them. I've seen tiny tuxedos available and one might do well in a 10 gallon if there's enough light for decent algae growth.

Unread 04/12/2021, 01:29 PM   #3
Sk8r
RC Mod

Hikari makes a Crab food for inverts which may supply traces needful for crustaceans, etc, and you can feed some bits of frozen shrimp, which may necessitate your intervention and prevent overfeeding. Suggest also keeping your alk-cal-mg balance down there because snails need calcium. Adequate feeding and supply of spare appropriate species shells will prevent crabs eating your snails. For the 'appropriate' shell, look at what the crab is wearing and ask your fish store for spares in a slightly larger size.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/13/2021, 07:40 PM   #4
Sugar Magnolia
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8r View Post
Hikari makes a Crab food for inverts which may supply traces needful for crustaceans, etc, and you can feed some bits of frozen shrimp, which may necessitate your intervention and prevent overfeeding. Suggest also keeping your alk-cal-mg balance down there because snails need calcium. Adequate feeding and supply of spare appropriate species shells will prevent crabs eating your snails. For the 'appropriate' shell, look at what the crab is wearing and ask your fish store for spares in a slightly larger size.
To build on this advice (thank you CJ) be sure to keep testing your alk, calc and mag if you plan to dose to keep those params stable.

There are also marine sinking pellets that are targeted for bottom feeder marine critters.

The only thing to fear is fear itself....and spiders.
Sugar Magnolia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/14/2021, 01:01 PM   #5
kaz1961
Registered Member

Thanks all, I do have plenty of frozen and also sinking pellets (didnt think of them). Critters coming on Friday!

kaz1961 is offline   Reply With Quote