Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/26/2015, 10:31 PM   #1
biggles
Registered Member

A Splash of Color

This is my 60x32x18" SPS dominant reef display. I am restarting my journal since i have abandoned plans to keep a peninsula type display so a fresh start is in order.

The aim remains the same - to make my reef tank a big splash of acro colors.

I ran a 100 micron felt sock for 24 hours before taking this pic, the water is very clear. I didn't clean the end panel glass so you could see the algae buildup in 24 hrs - nitrates are at 10 and phos is about .08 at the moment which is a good balance but way too high a concentration.

This thread will be the kind of journal where the frog in the pic above gets glued feet down on top of the green soli which ate my orange pavona frag. That's the way i roll so don't say you weren't warned..........

Site of the soon to be soli encrusted acro frog, beside the burial site of the orange pav seems a fitting place to entomb the poor creature.......

Unread 09/26/2015, 10:35 PM   #2
nemodan
Registered Member

Amazing !!!!

Do you have 2 sets of lights ?

nemodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/26/2015, 10:38 PM   #3
Chevelle5434
Registered Member

Love it!!! Makes me want to start on a shallow reef.

Chevelle5434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/26/2015, 10:40 PM   #4
pstank1
Registered Member

The tank is still looking great Andrew. That tank is missing a firetruck though, Moby is still looking good.

I've heard that licking the bum of an acro frog can have hallucinogenic effects, be careful when handling it. You might want to consider using gloves, just to be safe.

edit: Once the matrix starts kicking in, I'm pretty sure those levels will start getting closer to where you want them.

pstank1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/26/2015, 10:48 PM   #5
Wrangy
Acrotrooper

You're just doing this for more attention...

Looking good Andrew, the left island has come along in leaps and bounds since you put that 400w over it!! Dave really did talk you into a lobo I was skeptical when you said that lol a good piece to be talked into though!

Have you got the Jebao Automatronic Pulse Flow Reactor online yet?

Courtesy of Nils:
"you are welcome to your nem / flub tank because we need people like you to balance the sick ( sick in the head SPS OCD ) speaking for myself here!!"
Wrangy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/27/2015, 03:54 AM   #6
biggles
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemodan View Post
Amazing !!!!

Do you have 2 sets of lights ?
Thanks Daniel, i have a 400W Radium over each end and triple T5 units either side of each halide. The tank is 5ft long so i have a 2 & 3 ft unit on each side. The old 65 gal light hood is the right hand side setup and the left side is the old 250W socket from the 65 gal sump. I need to change all the bulbs soon as the T5 tubes are all over 18 months old and the 400W bulbs are both 8 moths old from memory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevelle5434 View Post
Love it!!! Makes me want to start on a shallow reef.
Thanks mate, shallow displays let you see down on most of your acros almost with top down colors. The highest acro on the right island is 8" off the glass bottom at the moment. The left island is higher and scaped with acros much more dramatically than the right table island. The highest acro on that island is a stag at 12" off the glass bottom. Most people goof with shallow scapes simply because they make their rock work way too high to begin with. It's easy to add more rock down the track but impossible to do if you have used large overly tall pieces to begin with.
Use corals like stags for height rather than ugly lumps of rock......

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstank1 View Post
The tank is still looking great Andrew. That tank is missing a firetruck though, Moby is still looking good.

I've heard that licking the bum of an acro frog can have hallucinogenic effects, be careful when handling it. You might want to consider using gloves, just to be safe.

edit: Once the matrix starts kicking in, I'm pretty sure those levels will start getting closer to where you want them.
I don't even know where i'm going to put my little red firetruck frag mate, it won't be hidden away that's for bloody sure I wore gloves a few days ago when i cut paly's off the base of the clam, pretty sure i got rid of every one. I'm basically waiting now for the matrix to kick in before i stress too much about the nutrients. Growth is very slow with the nutrients high and the pinks and reds are not crash hot as expected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrangy View Post
You're just doing this for more attention...

Looking good Andrew, the left island has come along in leaps and bounds since you put that 400w over it!! Dave really did talk you into a lobo I was skeptical when you said that lol a good piece to be talked into though!

Have you got the Jebao Automatronic Pulse Flow Reactor online yet?
Pretty sure that dropping a 54 page thread isn't the way you gain more attention for a journal Dom, it's supposed to be the exact opposite actually mate
I thought Dave was pulling my leg when he siad he had a lobo i might want to look at lol. Nothing but bags of matrix sitting in the sump with a 6025 pointed at them so far Dom. You can't rush these things mate.

Unread 09/27/2015, 04:10 AM   #7
sahin
Ultimate Reefer

The new flubbery thing looks great Andrew. I'm sure after a few weeks basking under the glory of the Radium sun it will look better. Will be following the non peninsula SPS thread.

sahin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/27/2015, 05:21 AM   #8
M007
Acro Whore

Just checking in Andrew, looking forward to the continuation of your awe inspiring thread

Current Tank Info: 250G SPS Mixed Reef. ATLAS 84x28x24. SuperMarin 250. Cebu Sun 3 x 250WMH Radiums 4 x 80W T5. Profilux 3 w/GHL dosing CA-ALK-MG. Moved by Tunze and Vertex. Reef Octopus 5K return.
M007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/27/2015, 06:03 AM   #9
nemodan
Registered Member

Andrew, I was going to paste a link of your old thread here, but though that it has to be your decision, because is your thread. So instead I decided to suggest and request if you would be so kind to paste a link of that thread. It contains such an amount of good info that for new guys that start to read this new thread can be, and probably it will be , very good to take a look to the old one.

Beside, there are guys like me, that have interested threads as bookmark but nevertheless how well I try to save them, when I change the toys (phone,computer, tablets) in some way I finish screwing all and losing all my old info. It has been always my karma in life with computers, smart phones and tablets since they where invented .... LOL.

Enough begging for now .......

Last edited by nemodan; 09/27/2015 at 06:12 AM.
nemodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/27/2015, 06:39 AM   #10
plyle02
Registered Member

Andrew,
Your tank is amazing, the bommies are super cool, and I love the color spread, this is truly a splash of color, well, more than a splash, let's re-title with "A wave of color" Very nice mate!

"Anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die" ~Buddha~

Current Tank Info: 50 Gallon AIO Cube, Aquamaxx WS-1 Skimmer, LED/ Hybrid 4x24 watt t5
plyle02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/27/2015, 08:38 AM   #11
bibarassa
Registered Member

Andrew, your tank is always an inspiration for me……..and I'm waiting for your new super tank

bibarassa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/27/2015, 08:57 AM   #12
mhucasey
Acros & wieners, oh my!

I liked your peninsula tank way better...this one is rubbish

Years from now new reefers will be told that they will need to find a location for their acro frog as part of tank setup. It will be part of the established protocol for SPS tank setup, though none will remember why or where the practice began

Keep on being yourself Andrew, you're a big part of what I love about coming here...and that sneaky Sahin will get away with a lot of sneakiness without your oversight!!

See my tank thread here: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2468548

Current Tank Info: 120 Gallon Rimless Starphire Shallow Reef. Reef Octopus Diablo EXT-200 skimmer, Chaeto Reactor, Lighting: ATI Sunpower 8X39W, 6X39W Sunpower
mhucasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/27/2015, 02:41 PM   #13
Pife
Registered Member

Keep coming this new thread with beautiful pictures and I won't car that you abandoned your of thread. Your tank is looking good.

I'm not saying let's get rid of all the stupid people.* I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem work itself out.

Current Tank Info: 150g DT plumbed to an 80g frag tank and 220g sump in the basement. ~6-MP40s ~ 12 ATI powered t5s ~ Reefbrites and Radions supplementing ~ Custom GEO Skimmer ~ GEO CA Reactor 6x24~ Iwaki 70 Return ~
Pife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/27/2015, 03:35 PM   #14
reefmutt
Registered Member

I'm always the last to know when Andrew goes and starts something new..
So... That Acro frog can't swim? I want to see him doing the backstroke amongst the acros and snuggling into that new flubber.

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
reefmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/27/2015, 08:50 PM   #15
martinphillip03
Registered Member

I'm in!

Marty

martinphillip03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/28/2015, 11:18 AM   #16
markalot

Looking forward to more coral goodness, don't let us down. No pressure though.

Unread 09/28/2015, 11:38 AM   #17
cugly
Dansreeftank

Beautiful my friend i haven't seen a video in a while.

Unread 09/28/2015, 02:51 PM   #18
JB NY
Registered Member

Are you still taking pictures with an iPhone?

TOTM Sept 2002 | Reefland April 2004 | CORAL Magazine Nov 2007
Featured Tank "Coral Reef Aquarium" 2011 | Reef Spotlight 2018

Current Tank Info: 270G SPS Tank, 140G sumps, 35G Frag Tank, Ultra Reef Akula UKS-200 Skimmer, Apex, Giesemann Spectra 3x250W MH 4x80W T5, 2xReefbrite Tech 72" Blue LED, Triton Dosing, ARID C30 Algae Reactor, Maxspect Gyre
JB NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/28/2015, 05:12 PM   #19
reefmutt
Registered Member

Excellent question, Joe!...........

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
Unread 09/28/2015, 06:35 PM   #20
BrentH
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB NY View Post
damn i didnt know pics could come out this nice with an iphone?.......

BrentH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/29/2015, 04:22 AM   #21
biggles
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahin View Post
The new flubbery thing looks great Andrew. I'm sure after a few weeks basking under the glory of the Radium sun it will look better. Will be following the non peninsula SPS thread.
Thanks buddy, hopefully it colors up a lot brighter than it is now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M007 View Post
Just checking in Andrew, looking forward to the continuation of your awe inspiring thread
Thanks Mike, we shall boldly go where others are too sane to tread mate........

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemodan View Post
Andrew, I was going to paste a link of your old thread here, but though that it has to be your decision, because is your thread. So instead I decided to suggest and request if you would be so kind to paste a link of that thread. It contains such an amount of good info that for new guys that start to read this new thread can be, and probably it will be , very good to take a look to the old one.

Beside, there are guys like me, that have interested threads as bookmark but nevertheless how well I try to save them, when I change the toys (phone,computer, tablets) in some way I finish screwing all and losing all my old info. It has been always my karma in life with computers, smart phones and tablets since they where invented .... LOL.

Enough begging for now .......
Your wish is my command Daniel

My Peninsula Fail......

Quote:
Originally Posted by plyle02 View Post
Andrew,
Your tank is amazing, the bommies are super cool, and I love the color spread, this is truly a splash of color, well, more than a splash, let's re-title with "A wave of color" Very nice mate!
Thanks for the kind words Perry, considering how colorful your SPS display is it means a lot mate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibarassa View Post
Andrew, your tank is always an inspiration for me……..and I'm waiting for your new super tank
Thank you my friend, i'm pleased to see you here. I'm also looking forward to the upgrade next year, that's why i didn't mention tank size in my journal title

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhucasey View Post
I liked your peninsula tank way better...this one is rubbish

Years from now new reefers will be told that they will need to find a location for their acro frog as part of tank setup. It will be part of the established protocol for SPS tank setup, though none will remember why or where the practice began

Keep on being yourself Andrew, you're a big part of what I love about coming here...and that sneaky Sahin will get away with a lot of sneakiness without your oversight!!
Hey Matt, acro frogs will be like running carbon mate.........
You can rely on me to watch Sahin like a hawk, if he said it was sunny out i'd take a bloody umbrella with me........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pife View Post
Keep coming this new thread with beautiful pictures and I won't car that you abandoned your of thread. Your tank is looking good.
Thanks mate, i'll do my best to keep the pics coming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefmutt View Post
I'm always the last to know when Andrew goes and starts something new..
So... That Acro frog can't swim? I want to see him doing the backstroke amongst the acros and snuggling into that new flubber.
Hey Matt, the frog may take a wander around the reef prior to going into soli hibernation........... i'll be sure to take a pic or two if i spot him on one of his rare underwater sorties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinphillip03 View Post
I'm in!

Marty
Good to have you on board Marty.

Unread 09/29/2015, 05:00 AM   #22
biggles
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markalot View Post
Looking forward to more coral goodness, don't let us down. No pressure though.
There's no pressure Mark, as long as the display looks like a rainbow with the runs took a dump in it i'll be happy. Anything less is unacceptable

Quote:
Originally Posted by cugly View Post
Beautiful my friend i haven't seen a video in a while.
Thanks Dan, i'll try to make a video soon mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB NY View Post
I don't own a camera Joe so any pic i post is always taken with a phone camera.

Quote:
Excellent question, Joe!...........
I used to shoot macro still life's on Ektar 25 with a Nikon F90X and a couple of Nikkor macro lenses back twenty years ago. From memory i spent a bit over three grand on just the two lenses way back when money was worth something but i was single and making very good money so went nuts on my hobbies.
If i had access to a DSLR and macro lens i don't think it would take me long to get back into the swing of real macro work again

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentH View Post
damn i didnt know pics could come out this nice with an iphone?.......
Hey Brent, i haven't tried the iphone 6 yet. I like using the Nokia lumina 1020 since it has many camera adjustment features and captures images 7712 x 4352 - that's a lot of detail for a phone camera.

Unread 09/29/2015, 06:35 AM   #23
sahin
Ultimate Reefer

I had a good reputation here on the SPS forum before Biggles ventured to this forum... Now I get called sneaky.... If anyone cares to remember, Biggles was the leader of the sneaky reefers group...why do you think at some point Biggles decided to be called "Andrew"...

Look at the SNEAKY thread change...all very sneaky plans he has...he has you all under his spell with his highly coloured acro pics posted onc every blue moon...

Andrew/Biggles/Boggles/Kevins dad, where are all the sump and equipment pics? A new thread deserves such photos.

sahin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/29/2015, 08:38 AM   #24
reefmutt
Registered Member

Quote:
I had a good reputation here on the SPS forum before Biggles ventured to this forum... Now I get called sneaky.... If anyone cares to remember, Biggles was the leader of the sneaky reefers group...why do you think at some point Biggles decided to be called "Andrew"...

Look at the SNEAKY thread change...all very sneaky plans he has...he has you all under his spell with his highly coloured acro pics posted onc every blue moon...

Andrew/Biggles/Boggles/Kevins dad, where are all the sump and equipment pics? A new thread deserves such photos.
Hm.... I must say, these comments and question do have merit..

Unread 09/29/2015, 09:00 AM   #25
biggles
Registered Member

Quote:
I had a good reputation here on the SPS forum before Biggles ventured to this forum... Now I get called sneaky.... If anyone cares to remember, Biggles was the leader of the sneaky reefers group..
You have a great reputation still Sahin, i and many others consider you to be a huge asset to this community and a good friend - don't ever doubt how much you're valued here mate

Why else would we put up with all the lies about having no new acros..........

History Reality Check

It was Bello who started hiding a few frags and then i decided if it was ok for him then it was ok for me to hide a couple of pieces. You then took it to another level and hid half of divers den acro inventory behind your rock work

I'll take some sumpy equipment pics so you can see what's what down below when i get a chance, speaking of pics i think it's a blue moon tonight..........

Remember this piece

At night with the camera phone pressed against the glass and the flash on, the acro is 5" from the glass.

Zooming in on the image you can see some pretty decent detail captured.

Piccy Tip

If you are using a phone camera and want to capture some nice images of your corals try using the flash at night and select those acros who's pigments appear colorful under the flash. Most stuff will be yucky and or brown but a few will look even more beautiful than you realised when photographed at night.
You must have the phone flat against the glass or the flash will reflect and fog out your pics with glare. Using the flash removes any shake or movement on your behalf as does resting against the glass. There's no reason every person with a camera phone can't capture the same sort of images as there is nothing at all tricky to using a camera phone if you do it this way after lights out. Everyone should give it a try, you'll be surprised at the results

Quote:
Hm.... I must say, these comments and question do have merit..
Have a night time SSC pic Matt, pics of acros always make things better i find mate