Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > Zoanthids
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/09/2017, 11:40 AM   #1
PingG25
Registered Member

Zoa’s Closing

Not sure why but I have a number of Zoa’s that are struggling to open. I can’t see any evidence of disease or pests but look very poorly. Is there anything obvious that I need to look at?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PingG25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/18/2017, 07:39 PM   #2
Andrew S.
Registered Member

Maybe too high of lighting

Andrew S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/18/2017, 07:40 PM   #3
Andrew S.
Registered Member

Or even salinity or too low lighting.

Andrew S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/18/2017, 11:51 PM   #4
PingG25
Registered Member

Thanks. They were doing well with colonies growing and spreading. Then overnight they started to struggle. Lights haven’t changed. I then went over the water parameters over the last couple of months. The only things different, Mg higher, Ca slightly higher but Kh down that might suggest the Ca & Kh are out of balance. Beyond that I’m unsure.

Unread 12/28/2017, 09:53 AM   #5
jjoos99
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew S. View Post
Maybe too high of lighting
What lighting strength works best with zoes? I have my tank set up mostly for sps with some lps and have tried some zoes. I tried bambams and one other that I dont know the name of and they would do good for a bit then not open much and have finally stopped opening and are dead. My sps and frogspawn, torch, and acans are doing wonderful. I had the zoes on the bottom of the tank which is getting probably close to 200 par. All tank parameters are in good shape. I have a piece of ora gonipora that isnt doing as well as it should either. Not sure it that is related or not. Any advise would be appreciated.
thanks
jeff

jjoos99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/28/2017, 12:14 PM   #6
Jekerry
Registered Member

I had that. Did a dip and it was a little nudibrach. I thought I saw something odd and the LFS suggested doing a dip. Did you try dipping it?

Jekerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/28/2017, 12:52 PM   #7
jjoos99
Registered Member

No I didnt dip the polyps. I have another head of two different kinds of zoes that are doing ok but the other 2 types died. Just trying to figure out why or if I need to fix something.
Jeff

jjoos99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/28/2017, 11:38 PM   #8
Reefpuck
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PingG25 View Post
Thanks. They were doing well with colonies growing and spreading. Then overnight they started to struggle. Lights haven’t changed. I then went over the water parameters over the last couple of months. The only things different, Mg higher, Ca slightly higher but Kh down that might suggest the Ca & Kh are out of balance. Beyond that I’m unsure.

You should post your actual parameters. Saying things like "slightly higher" and "kh down" leaves an open end in trying to diagnose the issue. If you had a recent/large parameter swing, or something is "out of balance", that could be your problem. Did you change salts recently? Large water change? Knowing your other parameters like nitrates/phosphates could also be helpful.

Just trying to be helpful. Let us know!

Current Tank Info: 90g mixed reef w/ 55g sump/fuge.
Reefpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/29/2017, 02:41 AM   #9
PingG25
Registered Member

Hi, just checked the parameters using Salifert

Mg 1275
Ca 425
Kh 9.3
Po4 .015
Nitrate 5
PH 7.7 and has always been 7.7
SG1025

I have changed salt from a LFS brand unknown maybe TMC to H2O. The same salt from where the corals were purchased. Water temperature has been a frustration. I have 2 in the tank thermometers that read 79&80, but I also have a standard house thermometer that reads 5 deg less plus a cheapest digital that reads the same. All in all nothing dramatic.