Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/27/2010, 05:07 PM   #26
RBU1
Moving on Up

Well we are kinda derailing this persons thread......BUT!!!! I would never put a large fish in a 30 long but a 2" black tang I have no problem with it. Heck I would even consider a 10 gallon....All of the fish I have lost in QT have been on the small size. My guess is the copper did them in....My large fish were all QT'd in a 125. I am going to try a different approach on the black tang....Just going to observe and see what happens....

RBU1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/15/2010, 06:57 AM   #27
oxford
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by csarkar001 View Post
not to hijack this thread but dont scooters eat the normal fish foods? must they have copepods?
A question I wish I had known to ask before buying. I went into my LFS looking for a couple of gobies or blennies. The watchman I had my eye on was in a treatment tank because of an infected tankmate, so they suggested a couple of scooter blennies. Stupid me, I assumed the thing labelled as a blenny was actually a blenny!

Long story short, we got a little lucky and I think we're doing okay. I say lucky because I ended up ignorantly picking a male and a female who get along perfectly well. I say I think we're doing okay because they aren't the easiest feed for a beginner and it's still early. I have taken a two-pronged approach. First I made an in-tank microfuge and stocked it with chaeto and pods. I also do frequent (2-3 times each day) supplemental feedings of frozen brine shrimp and micro pellets, shutting down all pumps and heads before feeding so that the food can settle on the bottom. I have a solid CUC of peppermint shrimp, various snails, bristle & peanut worms, and mini stars, and I run various filter media and a skimmer. I also check levels at least twice each week to make sure I'm not OVERfeeding.

The scooters (we call them dragonets now) graze continually and seem to be thriving. We're a long way from calling it a success story just yet, but will continue to fight the good fight.

oxford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/15/2010, 07:11 AM   #28
oxford
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBU1 View Post
Well we are kinda derailing this persons thread......BUT!!!! I would never put a large fish in a 30 long but a 2" black tang I have no problem with it. Heck I would even consider a 10 gallon....All of the fish I have lost in QT have been on the small size. My guess is the copper did them in....My large fish were all QT'd in a 125. I am going to try a different approach on the black tang....Just going to observe and see what happens....
No worries. My question was asked and answered, I've moved on! Derail away...

oxford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/20/2018, 03:59 PM   #29
lewis.maryann08
Registered Member

I have flake or ick in my tank and I have a scooter blenny and I was thinking about putting all of them even the scooter in QT in do you think my scooter blenny will be ok?
He eats flakes and pellets..

Sent from my SM-G930R7 using Tapatalk

lewis.maryann08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/21/2018, 01:12 AM   #30
Louis Z
Registered Member

Those blennies are difficult. Probably the best way is to put them in a seasoned system just because they are delicate and treat if necessary. I would house them in the system for several months. Fatten them up and then start TTM and other meds to be sure they don’t bring anything in. To me those are special case otherwise I do treat prophylactically. My main concern in doing so is velvet . This disease acts very quickly and if it overwhelms the fish then they usually don’t survive. Usually wait and see is too late for successful velvet treatment. I also FW dip and paraguard conc dip . FW is supposed to knock velvet off along with flukes. Paraguard for flukes too. These dips I do before transfer during the TTM. If fish species can handle copper I do use it. General cure also added in TTM . So many times the wait and see approach led to failure. I consider all fish sick when purchased . I have been burned too many times.

Louis Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/21/2018, 01:24 AM   #31
Louis Z
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by camp View Post
I was thinking about using seachems paraguard as a prohlactic treatment. It says it does a veriaty of things, plus ick. I dont know if it would work for what we want it to do. Mabey a litte safer.
I use this against flukes . I can’t trust it to eliminate ick and velvet as it stated on seachems website . As for the lice comment - lice are not deadly but velvet and ick is .

Louis Z is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
copper, dragonet, prophylactic, quarantine, scooter