Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/20/2012, 08:38 AM   #1
Reefzen1
Registered Member

Clownfish Internal Parasite

Hello guys this is my first post on your site. I have a clownfish( Black Ice Semi Snowflake) I have had in QT tank for week 1. I have narrowed down the ailment to an internal parasite. All my fish are treated in QT with copper and other med's if they display any signs of other ailments. My immediate course of action was to add PraziPro to the QT for the duration of this week. This is the 3rd day of week 2 in the QT. He displays no signs of the parasite inside or out and is swimming healthy. His breathing has returned to what i would deem regular for copper treatment. Only problem is he refuses to eat. I think i might have to due with the tank size 10 gallon? All the parameters are zero water changes are preformed every 2 days same at 15 percent.

I have a 55 gallon I can set up as a bigger QT if you guys think this will help his situation and give him less stress and maybe he will start eating.

Also I am sure hes not eating i have cameras monitoring my fish 24hours a day.

Reefzen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/20/2012, 08:42 AM   #2
tbanks
Registered Member

tagging along

Unread 06/20/2012, 09:55 AM   #3
MrTuskfish
Registered Member

Not quite sure: is there copper in the tank now? if so, at what level? If so, was he eating before copper? Not eating is a common sign of copper intolerance. If this is the only fish in the QT, stress won't be doing this.

Steve

Current Tank Info: 180, 2-240 FOWLRs, 240 reef
MrTuskfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/20/2012, 10:08 AM   #4
Reefzen1
Registered Member

Yes hes in copper now .4 and hes the only fish he was eating fine before i started copper.

Unread 06/20/2012, 12:08 PM   #5
MrTuskfish
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefzen1 View Post
Yes hes in copper now .4 and hes the only fish he was eating fine before i started copper.
If he goes a few days without eating, or shows any other problems; I'd remove about half of the Cu and try to get him eating. When he starts to feed again, slowly increase Cu to about .4 ppm. Of course, the clock for Cu starts at day one. OR, you could remove all of the Cu and use the same procedure. The first option saves a couple of days. Clowns generally do very well with Cu and I think increasing Cu very slowly helps a lot. I really have a lot of faith in Cupramine; but if the fish doesn't respond to the lower Cu and start eating; you could use tank transfer as a preventative measure for ich. TT is safe, easy and foolproof. It doesn't help with velvet or brooklynella, but these are easy to spot during a normal QT period.

Steve

Current Tank Info: 180, 2-240 FOWLRs, 240 reef
MrTuskfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/20/2012, 12:20 PM   #6
Reefzen1
Registered Member

Thank MrTuskfish i was infact just thinking of doing a TT for him. I will do so if i cannot get him to eat after lower cu