Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/05/2015, 06:35 PM   #1
Jmasiello
Registered Member

Help. More than one pair of clown fish

Currently have a 90 gal tank 48 x 24" with just one pair of snowflake clowns. I really would like to have more clowns - of any type, but they tell me I can't because all they will do is fight. Any hope and recommendations on what if anything I can do to have more than just 1 pair of clowns?

Jmasiello is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/05/2015, 06:42 PM   #2
davocean
Registered Member

Yes, more than one tank

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
davocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/06/2015, 08:28 AM   #3
Dkuhlmann
Registered Member

The only way that having more than one pair of clowns in one tank is to buy them all from the same hatch or at least buy them an inch or less, then you might have a chance at it working out for you.

Read this thread http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1259398

Current Tank Info: 40b 750 gph 45 lbs lr, 2"-3" sand, 165w full spectrum dimable LED, 20 gal sump/refugium 30 lbs lr, Bak Pak 2 skimmer, 4" sock temp 79-80, sg 1.026, NH3 0, NO2 0, NO3 <10, ph 8.2, calc 400, mag 1300
Dkuhlmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/06/2015, 10:23 AM   #4
ThRoewer
Registered Member

In a large enough tank 2 pairs may work if each pair has a different species anemone the other pair isn't interested in. They also should not be able to see each other and it would be best to have an aggressive fish in the tank that keeps them in their anemones.
In any case it is a risky game.

All of the same kind seems to work better if you start out with babies (I don't think they need to be from the same hatch, just roughly of equal size). Though, I can't see the point in that.

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/06/2015, 10:28 AM   #5
SNAKEMANVET
PREMIUM MEMBER

I tried two pair in a 240,8ft tank with about 15 or so rbtas spread out all over the tank and it didn't work.Occs on one end and the percs on the other,they would meet in the middle and have had it.I know some have had success with this. Good luck if you decide to try it.

SNAKEMANVET is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/06/2015, 10:32 AM   #6
davocean
Registered Member

Yeah a 240 stands a chance if nems are bookended, maybe, but a 90 most likely not.
Once in a blue moon I see someone getting away w/ it, but I always wonder for how long, normally they hit a point of maturity where they just don't tolerate other clowns.
Best results from grouping clowns seems to be from same clutch, that does make a big difference.

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
Unread 11/06/2015, 02:56 PM   #7
ThRoewer
Registered Member

A pair each of ocellaris and percula will never work out. Both are very intolerant of other clowns. Likely because they stay smaller they need to be more vicious of keeping other, larger species from taking over their anemone.

The most tolerant species towards others seems to be A. clarkii. I kept them with juvenile percula in a 100 gallon tank and it didn't end in an instant massacre. Though they would push the percula to the fringes of the tank.

The point where experiments like these usually go south is when one, usually the dominant pair, starts spawning.

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...

Last edited by ThRoewer; 11/06/2015 at 02:57 PM. Reason: y, from
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/06/2015, 04:26 PM   #8
Jmasiello
Registered Member

Thanks to all for great advice - I will consider something else

Jmasiello is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/06/2015, 06:02 PM   #9
davocean
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThRoewer View Post

The most tolerant species towards others seems to be A. clarkii. I kept them with juvenile percula in a 100 gallon tank and it didn't end in an instant massacre. Though they would push the percula to the fringes of the tank.

The point where experiments like these usually go south is when one, usually the dominant pair, starts spawning.
My last pair of clarkis were so good, until they started spawning, and then no fish were safe, clowns or otherwise.
This was in a 90g

Tags
behavior, clown, compatibility, pair, types