Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/21/2017, 02:22 AM   #1
LisaP
Registered Member

Red Spot Cardinalfish

I am considering introducing some Red Spot Cardinalfish, Apogon parvulus, to my Reefer 170. However I have read in Scott Michael's '101 Best Nano-Reef Species' book that these fish may be a threat to nano gobies. The tank presently is home to several nano goby species and I'm really rather fond of them so I do NOT want them to end up as a Cardinalfish snack or chased into constant hiding.

Is this a real concern with these Cardinals and should I therefore avoid them??

Thanks!

Regards

Lisa

Unread 03/21/2017, 02:58 AM   #2
damienpbuckley
Registered Member

Hmm. I'm interested in these too for my 250. Following…

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

damienpbuckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2017, 05:40 AM   #3
OrionN
Moved on

Here is a really informative thread from long ago to last year. I read through it and decided not to add them into my tank.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=1739827

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2017, 08:05 AM   #4
LisaP
Registered Member

Hi there,

Thanks for the link, I have read it already in my quest for knowledge regarding this species. I do know that these fish sadly have a reputation of difficult to keep long term, I was just hoping for some specific information regarding keeping them with nano gobies. I have been watching a group of these fish at my LFS for a couple of months at least, they seem to be settled and eating well.

Regards

Lisa

Unread 03/21/2017, 08:35 AM   #5
rhdoug
Registered Member

I can't imagine they would be a threat (to anything), they ignored all my other fish when I had them, and the other fish all ignored them. They are only about an 1.5 inches long. However, I didn't have any nano gobies.

Current Tank Info: 58 Gallon mixed reef running since 1999, Super Reef Octopus Skimmer, 180w Maxpect Razor LED Light, August 2015 TOTM
rhdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2017, 09:16 AM   #6
Half Vaped
Registered Member

They're definitely a finicky species. I have two going strong for about 1.5 years. And one that was just over a year when it passed.

But they started as two groups of five from DD in Fall '15. The ten died one by one until I was down to three in maybe two months. The three were doing well together until one died last year. I got ten more and those ten again dwindled down to three after a few weeks.

I now have five active Red Spot Cardinals. They stay out in the open, in a tight group. They chase each other a little, but they don't seem to be aggressive at all otherwise. I keep them in a 40 Breeder with a Neon, Yasha and Yellow Rose Gobies and Two-Spot, Barnacle and Sailfin (the 1.5 inch one) Blennies. I never saw them harass any of the nano fish.

I feed them at least twice a day, usually thrice. It seems that after the die-offs in the first month or so, the ones that make it do okay. My record is slightly worse than one-in-three chance of success.

Half Vaped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2017, 09:37 AM   #7
LisaP
Registered Member

Thank for all the responses so far. Having seen the fish in the flesh I cannot imagine that they would be a problem, but I guess somebody must have for Mr Michael to have included it in his book.

I just can't decide if a) it's worth the risk and/or b) if they are just too delicate to try.

I'm really struggling to find fish for my tank that are small, peaceful, completely reef safe and swim out in the open. I have rock huggers (Possum & Pink Streaked Wrasse), sand sitters (Trimma cana & T. nudus gobies) and a burrow dweller (Whitecap goby with shrimp buddy).

What else is there that fits those requirements other than Red Spot Cardinals?

Regards

Lisa

Unread 03/21/2017, 11:34 AM   #8
rhdoug
Registered Member

Threadfin or blue eyed cardinals (different name, same fish) are a good choice. Yellow assessors are nice, but do hide a lot until they get used to the tank. I'd go with captive bred ones from ORA if possible. I currently have a pair (well, 2 individuals) of radial filefish also from ORA which are so far very peaceful and interesting. I haven't had them long but they are very small and "seahorse-like" in their behavior. I've had trios of chalk bass that have worked well but did not live long enough to reach a large size so take that for what it's worth. None of these fish have ever bothered anything in the tank.

I would really like to try the redspots again, if we got better reports of hardiness from other reefers in the future.

Current Tank Info: 58 Gallon mixed reef running since 1999, Super Reef Octopus Skimmer, 180w Maxpect Razor LED Light, August 2015 TOTM
Unread 03/21/2017, 12:21 PM   #9
LisaP
Registered Member

Threadfin Cardinals are a possibility too. I had not really considered an Assessor before but they do look really lovely. One to keep an out for I think.

The filefish so look awesome but I've just read that they aren't entirely reef safe, how have you found them to be?

Thanks for the suggestions.

Regards

Lisa

Unread 03/21/2017, 01:41 PM   #10
rhdoug
Registered Member

I have a trio of yellow assessors and they are a great fish, beautiful and peaceful. I've only had the filefish for a couple of weeks so too early to say anything except so far so good.

Unread 03/21/2017, 02:18 PM   #11
LobsterOfJustice
Recovering Detritophobe

My suggestions are Trimma rubromaculatus (1st recommendation) and Coryphopterus personatus (2nd).

You mentioned T. Cana. In the past year I have gone on a kick of keeping groups of small gobies including T. cana, T. rubromaculatus, and C. personatus. I highly recommend T. rubromaculatus as a suitable replacement for redspot cardinals. These fish are always out in the open, hang out together, and will swim up in the water column vs on the rocks. I have also found them to be hardy and fine for long term on 1-2 feedings daily. These fish are very different than T. cana. C personatus also swim in the water column but hide a little more and I have found them to be a little less hardy.

I remember when zoanthids were called things like "green" and "orange" and not "reverse gorilla nipple."

Current Tank Info: 180g reef with all the bells and whistles
LobsterOfJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/22/2017, 01:01 AM   #12
WLachnit
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhdoug View Post
I have a trio of yellow assessors and they are a great fish, beautiful and peaceful. I've only had the filefish for a couple of weeks so too early to say anything except so far so good.

Do your yellow assessor hang out in the open? Or are they usually hiding? And what other species do you have them with?

WLachnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/22/2017, 01:53 AM   #13
LisaP
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LobsterOfJustice View Post
My suggestions are Trimma rubromaculatus (1st recommendation) and Coryphopterus personatus (2nd).

You mentioned T. Cana. In the past year I have gone on a kick of keeping groups of small gobies including T. cana, T. rubromaculatus, and C. personatus. I highly recommend T. rubromaculatus as a suitable replacement for redspot cardinals. These fish are always out in the open, hang out together, and will swim up in the water column vs on the rocks. I have also found them to be hardy and fine for long term on 1-2 feedings daily. These fish are very different than T. cana. C personatus also swim in the water column but hide a little more and I have found them to be a little less hardy.
T. rubromaculatus sounds like a perfect fit then, the trouble is I've not seen any of those for sale in any of the shops I've visited so far. Perhaps I can order some in, I will check.

Thanks for the suggestions. I do love the nano gobies, this is my first time keeping them (now that I have a suitably sized tank), here's a shot of my T. cana. They may be small but they are big on personality.

Regards

Lisa

Unread 03/22/2017, 07:46 AM   #14
rhdoug
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WLachnit View Post
Do your yellow assessor hang out in the open? Or are they usually hiding? And what other species do you have them with?
The assessors, or at least some of them, are visible most of the time. That is partly due to the way I feed. I hang a "Julians Thing" full of a frozen mix inside the canopy in front of one of the mp10's. It slowly drizzles out over the course of about an hour. I do this several times during the day, so most of the time the fish are out actively hunting food. It aloso keeps the sun corals open during the day. I also have tons of hiding places. I find that fish, like reptiles, are more comfortable knowing that they can dart out of sight in an instant, and seem to remain in the open for longer periods of time because they feel safe.

I have a breeding pair of occelaris clowns living in a sebae anemone, a CB marine betta, scopas tang, CB neon goby, chalk bass, 2 pajama cardinals, 2 CB radial filefish, and the 3 CB assessors. I think that's everybody.

Unread 03/22/2017, 02:08 PM   #15
pfan151
Registered Member

I'd go with the threadfins. I have a group of 8 in my tank. They definitely look a lot nicer in person than in pics. The blue eyes really glow under LEDS. Still not a flashy fish but pretty much the best choice for a shoaling fish in an aquarium IMO.

pfan151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/22/2017, 02:34 PM   #16
LisaP
Registered Member

I checked out the Red Spots again today at my LFS, they are all still there. I didn't purchase any though, the sales assistant said they didn't do well with lots of flow. Ho hum, I guess they are just not meant to be. Unfortunately they had no Trimma sp. available at all The Vanderbilt Chromis looked nice but not sure if they will coexist peacefully long term. I'll keep searching.

Regards

Lisa

Unread 03/22/2017, 09:57 PM   #17
pfan151
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaP View Post
I checked out the Red Spots again today at my LFS, they are all still there. I didn't purchase any though, the sales assistant said they didn't do well with lots of flow. Ho hum, I guess they are just not meant to be. Unfortunately they had no Trimma sp. available at all The Vanderbilt Chromis looked nice but not sure if they will coexist peacefully long term. I'll keep searching.

Regards

Lisa
I think the lfs employee is mistaken about the flow

pfan151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/23/2017, 06:18 AM   #18
MarkW64
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LobsterOfJustice View Post

LobsterOfJustice could you share more info about your T. rubromaculatus? How large of a group do you have? What other fish are they with? I'm wondering if they stay out in the open with larger species present.

Unread 03/23/2017, 07:25 PM   #19
rhdoug
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfan151 View Post
I agree

Unread 03/23/2017, 10:26 PM   #20
LobsterOfJustice
Recovering Detritophobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkW64 View Post
LobsterOfJustice could you share more info about your T. rubromaculatus? How large of a group do you have? What other fish are they with? I'm wondering if they stay out in the open with larger species present.

I have 5 T rubromaculatus, 4 C personatus, and 1 T cana. They live in a 180g with other medium (wrasses, anthias, chromis) and med-large (angels, butterfly) fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I remember when zoanthids were called things like "green" and "orange" and not "reverse gorilla nipple."

Current Tank Info: 180g reef with all the bells and whistles
LobsterOfJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/24/2017, 04:44 AM   #21
LisaP
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfan151 View Post
Yeah, it did seem a bit odd but when a LFS employee is not trying to sell me something I tend to sit up and take notice. I am still tempted I must admit, some seem to have succeeded with this species (and even had them breed) and some just haven't. I need to work out if I have a good chance at the former and not the latter.

Regards

Lisa

Unread 04/08/2017, 09:37 AM   #22
LisaP
Registered Member

So after much debate I decided to give the Red Spot Cardinals a go after all. At the LFS I asked for five but ended up with six (the 6th was a freebie, thank you very much!). I introduced them last Saturday and for six days they were doing great, eating well and swimming out in the open which is exactly what I wanted. Even the Possum and Pink Streaked wrasse have gained in confidence, showing themselves much more often than before. Oh and my nano gobies are absolutely fine with them, the new fish have totally ignored them (so far).

Then yesterday to my complete amazement two of the fish spawned right before my eyes!! The female released the most enormous ball of eggs for such a small fish and the male immediately took them up into his mouth. It did take a few minutes of juggling to fit them all in but he did it in the end. It was totally amazing!!

Here is a quick photo from this morning. What a proud Father he is!

It's going to be interesting to see if he can last the full seven days it takes for the eggs to develop. I hope he has enough energy reserves to cope with seven days not eating.

Regards

Lisa

Unread 04/08/2017, 12:23 PM   #23
rhdoug
Registered Member

Wow great shot and very cool that they spawned! Good luck with those guys, let us know how they do.

Unread 04/09/2017, 11:23 AM   #24
Javeo
Registered Member

Brilliant to see you having good luck with these. LFS around here will only get them to order as they tend to die en masse. Remember also they have a very short lifespan, a couple of years at most as they are so tiny. There's a marine goby that lives only 3 months, that's something we can't do anything about b

Javeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/08/2018, 02:41 PM   #25
smatter
Registered Member

How are the red spots doing?

smatter is offline   Reply With Quote