Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/06/2020, 06:57 AM   #6201
cali9dub
Registered Member

So in QT which meds should be run to prevent this sort of thing ?? Thanks !

cali9dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/06/2020, 10:14 AM   #6202
OrionN
Moved on

Appropriate med early would help. I am very surprised that he was eating with infection going on

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/06/2020, 10:30 AM   #6203
cali9dub
Registered Member

Eating like a champ. I thought initially he had gotten bitten by my tusk as he is a super aggressive eater. Regal ate like crazy one day, was in hiding the next (that’s when the damage showed up) and dead the next am.

Unread 10/06/2020, 04:44 PM   #6204
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

It's Uronema! Very common with chromis and damsels nowadays. It kills very fast, like the third day. First day looks great, second the side sore appears, third day dead. So, you really need to have the right meds ready on day one. Sorry for your loss.

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/06/2020, 05:25 PM   #6205
cali9dub
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hoaster View Post
It's Uronema! Very common with chromis and damsels nowadays. It kills very fast, like the third day. First day looks great, second the side sore appears, third day dead. So, you really need to have the right meds ready on day one. Sorry for your loss.
What meds are those? And can those meds being used in quarantine to keep this from happening or is it something that happened in my tank ?? Thanks for all the help.

Unread 10/06/2020, 05:50 PM   #6206
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

For uronema, get Seachem Metroplex and Focus. This gets the medication on outside and inside of the fish, which is needed for uronema. Follow all directions to the letter! The type is very small on the packages, so have a magnifying glass handy.

For prophylactic treatment on first adding fish to QT, I like API General Cure. It has both Metronidazole and Praziquantel in it. Also, over the first week, I gradually lower salinity to hypo salinity levels, to treat for ICK. It's much less dangerous to the fish than copper.

The tricky thing about Uronema is it doesn't require a fish host to survive. It can survive indefinitely on detritus alone, so if you've ever gotten Uronema in your QT, you still have it! You have to bleach sterilize everything wet, after EVERY QT treatment. That goes for your display as well, if the sick fish was in it.

I'm no master of QT. I've been as slack as anyone else. I had to recently up my game in order just to keep some damsels alive. Hope this helps!

Unread 10/06/2020, 05:54 PM   #6207
cali9dub
Registered Member

Quote:
For uronema, get Seachem Metroplex and Focus. This gets the medication on outside and inside of the fish, which is needed for uronema. Follow all directions to the letter! The type is very small on the packages, so have a magnifying glass handy.

For prophylactic treatment on first adding fish to QT, I like API General Cure. It has both Metronidazole and Praziquantel in it. Also, over the first week, I gradually lower salinity to hypo salinity levels, to treat for ICK. It's much less dangerous to the fish than copper.

The tricky thing about Uronema is it doesn't require a fish host to survive. It can survive indefinitely on detritus alone, so if you've ever gotten Uronema in your QT, you still have it! You have to bleach sterilize everything wet, after EVERY QT treatment. That goes for your display as well, if the sick fish was in it.

I'm no master of QT. I've been as slack as anyone else. I had to recently up my game in order just to keep some damsels alive. Hope this helps!
Hmmm interesting. That’s the only fish I’ve had any type of problem with in 3 years. I’d hate to rip apart my display and sterilize it. Sounds like you can’t put anything back in. ie : corals, nems, etc.

Unread 10/06/2020, 06:02 PM   #6208
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Yeah, the prospect of breaking down a display is a huge bummer. I would think you could dip your corals, etcetera in a coral dip.

Unread 10/06/2020, 06:14 PM   #6209
cali9dub
Registered Member

Quote:
Yeah, the prospect of breaking down a display is a huge bummer. I would think you could dip your corals, etcetera in a coral dip.
I’d need a 55 gallon drum.

Unread 10/07/2020, 10:28 AM   #6210
cali9dub
Registered Member

Also does it only manifest itself when there is some sort of injury? Or can it pop up randomly at any time ??

Unread 10/07/2020, 11:14 AM   #6211
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

My fish that got it looked great on day one - no injuries. It may appear to be random, but you either have it in your tank or not. I don't know if you could get away without disinfecting your system. That's for you to decide. Just remember running the tank fallow won't cure it.

I fear that every point along the chain of custody, from the sea to our tanks, has been infected. You think those businesses can afford to take their systems off line in order to disinfect them? I doubt it, but I'd love to be proven wrong.

And because it's seen as a damsel/chromis problem, the cure costs more than the fish, so there's little incentive to fix the it. They are literally expendable.

In the big picture, I see your Regal Angel death as a (possible) last straw for the biz, which could be a good thing. If expensive fish are now getting infected, the incentive increases to actually do something about it.

Unread 10/07/2020, 05:07 PM   #6212
ThePurple12
Registered Member

Bacterial infections in general mainly affect fish with a compromised immune system or injuries. Like the regal angel. It was new and probably kind of stressed/weakened from shipping, and it succumbed to the infection. I think your other fish will be fine.

ThePurple12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/07/2020, 05:53 PM   #6213
cali9dub
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePurple12 View Post
Bacterial infections in general mainly affect fish with a compromised immune system or injuries. Like the regal angel. It was new and probably kind of stressed/weakened from shipping, and it succumbed to the infection. I think your other fish will be fine.
Hope so. I haven’t seen anything prior or since. Not sure if running a UV sterile room helps mitigate it with healthy fish. I’m due for a bulb change. Probably over due !!

Unread 10/11/2020, 11:44 AM   #6214
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:

It is highly likely that most reef tanks have Uronema in it. And there is near certainty that you will find Uronema in all coral systems at your local reef store.
It's coming on rocks, corals,... anything wet that isn't a fish.

Uronema is primarily feeding of bacteria. Generally, only if weakened fish have wounds with secondary bacterial infections Uronema may become a problem when it follows the bacteria to feed on them and then also starts feeding on the fish's tissue.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote