Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/09/2018, 06:48 PM   #1
happyvalley
Registered Member

Slimed health

Can someone confirm that this slimer doesn’t look right at the ends.

I don’t have a lot of corals but the Montis are growing well.

It’s 2-2.5ft under a 400 watt halide and center tank so maybe not
Enough flow???

Thanks for confirming!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

happyvalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/09/2018, 07:35 PM   #2
pisanoal
Registered Member

confirmed... tip burn.

What is your alk at?

Maybe its that time of year, but that's what mine looks like right now oddly enough.

pisanoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/09/2018, 08:09 PM   #3
happyvalley
Registered Member

Just tested alkalinity and it’s between 8.3 and 8.6. Couldn’t test calcium because some a hole forgot to close one of the reagents and it had evaporated since the last time I tested which was in excess of a year. Nitrates around 10.

The a hole is clearly me.

Would like to save this little bugger if I can. Any thoughts on what to do???

Thanks for the help!!!

Unread 10/09/2018, 08:18 PM   #4
happyvalley
Registered Member

And one more thing.

I do not dose anything. Have been doing 50-100 gallon water changes a month on total volume of 750 gallons.

Wondering if 8.5ish alk is considered high if there is low nutrient. I think it’s low nutrient because my montis are a little pale. I’m going to start feeding the kids more meat.

Unread 10/09/2018, 10:22 PM   #5
murphreef
Registered Member

What salt are you using? Do you have pictures of your montis?

Current Tank Info: 25G cube (finally back in the hobby in a small way)
murphreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/10/2018, 05:08 AM   #6
pisanoal
Registered Member

Check phosphate too. With nitrates at 10, you probably don't have issues with low nutrients, but its possible you have a phosphate deficiency.

Might not hurt to very slowly lower alk to 8.0. My acros start looking bad around 8.5 when my nutrients are low. Mot to say that's for sure what your issue is, but as long as you do it over a couple weeks, there is no harm in lowering it a little.

pisanoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/10/2018, 08:24 AM   #7
happyvalley
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pisanoal View Post
Check phosphate too. With nitrates at 10, you probably don't have issues with low nutrients, but its possible you have a phosphate deficiency.

Might not hurt to very slowly lower alk to 8.0. My acros start looking bad around 8.5 when my nutrients are low. Mot to say that's for sure what your issue is, but as long as you do it over a couple weeks, there is no harm in lowering it a little.

Unread 10/10/2018, 08:28 AM   #8
happyvalley
Registered Member

I use the reef crystals mix so my thought was as long as it’s being changed out on a frequent enough basis that the Parms ought to be appropriate. The coral load cannot be too high as I have not ever been very successful at this.

Will check phosphates this evening.

Here some locks of the pale montis

Unread 10/10/2018, 09:50 AM   #9
Fishinbob
Registered Member

Can you get a close up shot if the monti? I've had similar problem with montis and turned out to be monti eating black bugs. Barely visible but looked like fast moving dots. Bayer dip and interceptor took care of them though

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Fishinbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/10/2018, 09:56 AM   #10
pisanoal
Registered Member

Do you lower your new saltwater alkalinity before water changes?

Reef Crystals has really high alk so you are swinging your alk a bit when you do your water change. If the last one was recent, the tip burn could be from that.

I see you dont dose anything, so you are maintaining alk and cal with water changes I assume? With monthly water changes, i would highly recommend dosing at least daily to keep up,with alk demand. Would be better on a continuous dosing program like kalkwasser in your top off or dosing pumps for 2 part. Save your money on salt mix and go for regular instant ocean.

When you maintain alk through water changes you are constantly changing your alkalinity, letting it fall slowly for a while, then bumping it up. Ok for lps, not a good plan for sps.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Unread 10/10/2018, 09:59 AM   #11
pisanoal
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishinbob View Post
Can you get a close up shot if the monti? I've had similar problem with montis and turned out to be monti eating black bugs. Barely visible but looked like fast moving dots. Bayer dip and interceptor took care of them though

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Not impossible, but I'd look for something that explains the issue with both coral. More likely to find one cause to be accurate rather than multiple. Most pests dont go for both montis and acros.

Doesn't hurt to check though.

Unread 10/10/2018, 12:26 PM   #12
happyvalley
Registered Member

Thanks and all very interesting. I do not lower alk of new saltwater. I would have to look up how, but maybe I ought to.

I have the dosing equipment but I don’t use it. I didn’t find that it helped but likely because I didn’t have patience.

Unread 10/10/2018, 12:54 PM   #13
pisanoal
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyvalley View Post
Thanks and all very interesting. I do not lower alk of new saltwater. I would have to look up how, but maybe I ought to.

I have the dosing equipment but I don’t use it. I didn’t find that it helped but likely because I didn’t have patience.

You don't dose alk or calcium, correct?

Dosing the major elements is not a matter of helping or not. If your reef is growing, its essential to keep these replenished. Your corals use them to build their skeleton. Check out the stickies in the sps section.

Dosing the big 3 is not about boosting performance, and there is no debate about whether or not it helps or hurts, they are essential building blocks of the reef.

That being said, you are replenishing those elements via water changes, but not nearly often enough to keep levels stable for happy sps.

To lower alkalinity, dose muriatic acid, add an air stone and agitate well for a couple days until pH returns to normal. There are threads showing calculations.

My recommendation would be to measure alk and calcium for a couple days without dosing anything. Get a good consumption number, look up how to calculate how much you need to add per day to keep up.