Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/20/2019, 06:14 PM   #1
Prairie Reef
Registered Member

Needed wall clearance and sound

Two questions

Looking at 245gal sps build. I was wondering what clearance is needed on the dry side for the MP40/60? I might have 5” on the walled side and the other side is open to a hall and don’t want the dry side “hanging” in the doorway too far.

The other question is that I had a 75gallon with an MP40 that was sorta loud - especially with a shorter pulse. Can a larger MP60 be run at a lower intensity to help be quieter (is that even possible?).

TIA.

Unread 01/22/2019, 07:16 AM   #2
Tom39
Registered Member

An MP40QD protrudes 2.25" from the glass when used with the thin spacer.

As per the noise you were experiencing, without witnessing the sounds personally, I would imagine from what you relayed that it was a result of a wearing bearing on either side of the pump or maybe even the older style driver.

IMO, the QD versions of pumps truly are quieter than the ES or older version and I continue to be amazed at the flow they are able to provide. As for the use of an MP60 at a lower speed. I would not go that route, for only a few dollars more, you can buy 2 MP40QD for the price of 1 MP60. Using multiple pumps vs 1 would allow for having multiple angles of flow which would be a benefit to the tank and also allow for a lower power range being used on the pump.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 150g Marineland Cube
Tom39 is offline   Reply With Quote