Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Marine Plants & Macroalgae
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/03/2020, 03:57 AM   #1
IMAGNDAT
Registered Member

Pom Pom Gracilaria from Aquabarn turning white 😔

So I recently purchased some Pom Pom Gracilaria from aquabarn, it was beautiful nice red. today I noticed its turning white like if it's bleached 😔, my tank is freshly new, and currently just have cerith snails, and 2 clown fishes. In my refugium I'm using the 18w chaetomax light and have some chaeto and Clean Sea Lettuce also from aquabarn, those macro algae are doing fine, but the Gracilaria. Is it possible the light is too much for it and causing it to die off?

IMAGNDAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/03/2020, 09:11 AM   #2
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

It sounds like you may have more plants than nutrients to feed them. Try feeding your fish a little more food than you normally do. The sea lettuce and chaeto you have are both fast growers, and the pom pom is slower. So they may be outcompeting it. If it dies, don't remove it. It may pop up again later, when conditions are better for it. That happened to me, and the plant that popped up was naturally attached and beautiful.

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/03/2020, 12:52 PM   #3
IMAGNDAT
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hoaster View Post
It sounds like you may have more plants than nutrients to feed them. Try feeding your fish a little more food than you normally do. The sea lettuce and chaeto you have are both fast growers, and the pom pom is slower. So they may be outcompeting it. If it dies, don't remove it. It may pop up again later, when conditions are better for it. That happened to me, and the plant that popped up was naturally attached and beautiful.
Got some zoanthids and shrooms coming in this week, hopefully gets more nitrates in the tank I guess.

Unread 08/04/2020, 05:59 AM   #4
ThePurple12
Registered Member

If anything, those will remove nitrate with growth....

Is it completely pale? If not, it still has a chance. It’s possible it’s getting too much light, I would move it to a lower spot and add some nitrates with Spectracide stump remover from Home Depot.

ThePurple12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/08/2020, 10:22 PM   #5
IMAGNDAT
Registered Member

update, I guess after some white scare, it seems to have stopped, it's not completely dead and it's still trucking, going up against the chaeto that's growing bigger it seems fast lol.

Unread 08/09/2020, 08:50 PM   #6
ThePurple12
Registered Member

Nice!

ThePurple12 is offline   Reply With Quote