Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Neptune Systems
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/17/2016, 02:37 AM   #151
bif24701
Registered Member

Very helpful! I'll have my first 6105 and APEX cable next week. I plan to add a second to my 180 that already has an MP60QD. I would like to create a standing wave with both 6105, then I'll be putting the MP60 on gyre long mode to help flush the rock really nicely. Any feed back on that would be appreciated.

Only question is how do you tune the timing of the pumps to get the wave action? Placing them in opposite ends of the tank I assume it will be an anti-sync setup.

Aaron

Kessil AP700/ MP60+6105
Kalk+2 part/ Cheato Fuge

Current Tank Info: 180 SPS Dominant
bif24701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/17/2016, 09:41 AM   #152
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bif24701 View Post
Very helpful! I'll have my first 6105 and APEX cable next week. I plan to add a second to my 180 that already has an MP60QD. I would like to create a standing wave with both 6105, then I'll be putting the MP60 on gyre long mode to help flush the rock really nicely. Any feed back on that would be appreciated.

Only question is how do you tune the timing of the pumps to get the wave action? Placing them in opposite ends of the tank I assume it will be an anti-sync setup.

Aaron
I've never setup the MP's on an Apex let alone the Gyre.. As such, I can't really lend much help there. I think the process for the MP's is different but the Gyre should be similar.

Every tank is different. Pump placement, rocks, volume etc all impact what will work best. When I originally set my Tunze's up, I had the Tunze controller before connecting my Apex to them. That allowed me to experiment with different intervals to find what worked best. In the absence of the Tunze controller. You can just a a line to the variable speed outlet such as Set Wave1. Then go into the Wave1 profile and experiment with different intervals. Every time you make a change to the profile, the wave action will change and you can preview your change. Keep playing with different settings until you find one that best suits your tank. Also, with the pumps at opposite ends, you can use anti sync or just stagger the initial ON/OFF times between the pumps at opposite ends. I think Anti Sync would be easiest though I have not used that function since mine are all facing the same direction pushing a wave across the 8' tank.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/21/2016, 07:20 PM   #153
bif24701
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
I've never setup the MP's on an Apex let alone the Gyre.. As such, I can't really lend much help there. I think the process for the MP's is different but the Gyre should be similar.

Every tank is different. Pump placement, rocks, volume etc all impact what will work best. When I originally set my Tunze's up, I had the Tunze controller before connecting my Apex to them. That allowed me to experiment with different intervals to find what worked best. In the absence of the Tunze controller. You can just a a line to the variable speed outlet such as Set Wave1. Then go into the Wave1 profile and experiment with different intervals. Every time you make a change to the profile, the wave action will change and you can preview your change. Keep playing with different settings until you find one that best suits your tank. Also, with the pumps at opposite ends, you can use anti sync or just stagger the initial ON/OFF times between the pumps at opposite ends. I think Anti Sync would be easiest though I have not used that function since mine are all facing the same direction pushing a wave across the 8' tank.

I don't plan on adding the MP60 to APEX control, no need, the controller is plenty capable. I want to create a profile for the 6105 im getting in tomorrow and the second one I plan to order soon.

Did you do this on a desktop/laptop or on mobile? I think that if will be a lot easier if I just do it on a computer.

Kessil AP700/ MP60+6105
Kalk+2 part/ Cheato Fuge

Unread 09/21/2016, 09:34 PM   #154
BIGD0G
Registered Member

I set mine up using these instructions and used my laptop. While possible to do via mobile I would think it would take much more time and be more prone to errors/typos.

Current Tank Info: 180g
BIGD0G is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/21/2016, 10:18 PM   #155
oseymour
Euphyllia Addict

Hey slief,

I am currently using 2 Tunze 6095 on the back wall with your programming and it's working well. I think I need a 3rd pump for full coverage of the tank. What happens if I want to add a third? Do I simply use the same programming and it will operate in sync or anti sync automatically with the other 2 pumps?

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Reefer 350
oseymour is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/22/2016, 09:07 AM   #156
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bif24701 View Post
I don't plan on adding the MP60 to APEX control, no need, the controller is plenty capable. I want to create a profile for the 6105 im getting in tomorrow and the second one I plan to order soon.

Did you do this on a desktop/laptop or on mobile? I think that if will be a lot easier if I just do it on a computer.
I always do my programming from a desktop computer and generally use the native web interface as opposed to Fusion. That said, you can now program profiles using Fusion which is nice but I still prefer the native web interface via the local network as it's faster to program.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oseymour View Post
Hey slief,

I am currently using 2 Tunze 6095 on the back wall with your programming and it's working well. I think I need a 3rd pump for full coverage of the tank. What happens if I want to add a third? Do I simply use the same programming and it will operate in sync or anti sync automatically with the other 2 pumps?
Add the 3rd and see how the tank responds with the same programming. You may need to run it opposite and or change the on/off intervals to get the right flow you are after. Since every tank is different, you will have to experiment a bit with the profile for the new pump to figure out what works best.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
Unread 09/23/2016, 02:44 AM   #157
bif24701
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGD0G View Post
I set mine up using these instructions and used my laptop. While possible to do via mobile I would think it would take much more time and be more prone to errors/typos.

Thanks Bigdog, since I am the only one in the family without a computer I had to borrow the wife's. Made it much easier! Thanks

Aaron

Kessil AP700/ MP60+6105
Kalk+2 part/ Cheato Fuge

Unread 12/14/2016, 08:12 PM   #158
Rookieofsalt
Registered Member

I recently switched to Apex controlling my Tunze pumps.
One quick question. How do I create Pump profile such as Duskdawn night and day.

Thanks

Rookieofsalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/14/2016, 09:16 PM   #159
bif24701
Registered Member

My Apex Tunze Settings and Profile examples. Help for others and feedback appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookieofsalt View Post
One quick question. How do I create Pump profile such as Duskdawn night and day.

Thanks

Maybe this will help you

Tunze control outlet you see here is the 0-10V control outlet

This is how I programmed it

These are the profiles I created

This is Wave1

I was able to do all of this in the current Fusion. Before you had to connect directly to the APEX with a PC I think, but now you can use your phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kessil AP700/ MP60+6105
Kalk+2 part/ Cheato Fuge

Unread 12/14/2016, 09:39 PM   #160
Rookieofsalt
Registered Member

Thanks!

Very helpful.

Rookieofsalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/14/2016, 09:55 PM   #161
bif24701
Registered Member

Quote:
Thanks!

Very helpful.

This is Wave2 And it creates a standing wave back and forth motion, notice the divide by 10 option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kessil AP700/ MP60+6105
Kalk+2 part/ Cheato Fuge

Unread 12/15/2016, 07:00 PM   #162
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:

Thanks
Simple. Go to pProfiles in the default web interface using your IP or go to Profiles in Fusion as Bif24701 suggested. Select one of the profiles. They are named (by default) PF1, PF2, PF3 etc. Change the name to Duskdawn or night or what ever your going to call it out as in your programming. Then modifify the profile to reflect your desired ON and OFF power levels and ON/OFF intervals. Select Divide By 10 if you want a really fast pulse and that's about it. Once your done, save the profile. What ever you name it is what it will need to be called out as in your variable speed outlet. If you are going to dive into this, it's simple enough but I strongly suggest you read the entire thread. It not only will answer your questions but you will come away with a good understanding of what you are doing and why. That way if you decide to make changes down the line or need to modify things to suit your tank, you will know what you are doing.

Unread 01/19/2017, 07:54 PM   #163
oseymour
Euphyllia Addict

Hey slief I was wondering if you can help me out with some changes to this program.

I want to add a Gyre to my tank and put the Gyre on one side and the two Tunze 6095s on the other. I'll use the Gyre controller to control the gyre but I want to set the Tunze to keep the same programming that you provided but run for 1 hour on then 1 hour off. During the off intervals of the Tunzes, I'll have the Gyre pulsing on the other side.

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Reefer 350
oseymour is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/07/2017, 02:14 PM   #164
m3lacoste
Registered Member

Great thread Slief! I emailed Neptune for support and they emailed me back this link. lol

m3lacoste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/10/2017, 10:04 AM   #165
m3lacoste
Registered Member

I have (4) 6105 Tunze, 2 pumps on each side of the tank, how does the program distinguish which pump is (V1 or V2) or (V3 or V4) since the Tunze to Apex cable can connect to 2 pumps? I have 2 pumps on the Left (V1/V2) and 2 pumps on the Right (V3/V4).

Unread 02/10/2017, 10:07 AM   #166
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3lacoste View Post
I have (4) 6105 Tunze, 2 pumps on each side of the tank, how does the program distinguish which pump is (V1 or V2) or (V3 or V4) since the Tunze to Apex cable can connect to 2 pumps? I have 2 pumps on the Left (V1/V2) and 2 pumps on the Right (V3/V4).
One connection on the Tunze cable connects to V1 and the other V2. You can test that to determine which din goes to which by setting the variable speed outlet to ON or OFF via the dashboard. Once you have defined which DIN goes to which port, your programming for each variable speed outlet is what distinguishes each pump and what profile they use. In my case, all pumps face the same direction blasting down the tank in a westerly direction. The only time I distinguish one side from the other is in my flush mode.

Unread 02/10/2017, 10:27 AM   #167
m3lacoste
Registered Member

Thanks Slief. On my 7095 controller it was easy to have the pumps on each side in sync as one side was ON the other was OFF. Is this just a matter of just trying to figure out different times or some type of delay?

Unread 02/10/2017, 10:40 AM   #168
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Thanks Slief. On my 7095 controller it was easy to have the pumps on each side in sync as one side was ON the other was OFF. Is this just a matter of just trying to figure out different times or some type of delay?
Yep. I would just play with the on/off times for each pump to find what works best for your tank. There is also the sync option in the profiles but I have never used that option so I am not sure how it would work for you but because of aquascapes and obstructions in the tank, playing with the on/off times will get you the best flow. It just takes time to figure out what works best since every tank is different.

Unread 02/11/2017, 09:26 AM   #169
m3lacoste
Registered Member

I'm noticing after I hooked up my (4) 6105's last night. There's an intensity difference compared to when hooked up to the 7095 controller. I have the Tunze knobs set to max. Settings at 0-100% with fast pulses, water is able to splash out of the tank compared to similar settings with Apex. Anyone else experiencing this?

Unread 02/13/2017, 11:52 AM   #170
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
I'm noticing after I hooked up my (4) 6105's last night. There's an intensity difference compared to when hooked up to the 7095 controller. I have the Tunze knobs set to max. Settings at 0-100% with fast pulses, water is able to splash out of the tank compared to similar settings with Apex. Anyone else experiencing this?
My guess is that it's your ON/OFF intervals that are different in the Apex profiles compared to the Tunze 7095. Fast pulses are one thing but if the timing is off then you won't get as high of a wave or surge. When the pump turns ON, the water is forced one direction and bounces off the glass. When the pump turns off, the water returns the opposite direction. Getting the timing such that when the surge hits the glass, the pump immediately turns off and then turns back on once the surge makes it's way back to the pump is key to getting a taller wave. You're just going to have to spend some time dialing in the ON/OFF frequency to tune it for your display. The settings I referenced are what works for my display based on where I have the pumps, and the length of the tank.

Unread 04/09/2017, 11:42 PM   #171
chercm
Registered Member

how to program Tunze interval on Apex ?

Tunze interval is running 3 hrs on one pump and 3 hours on the other pump . the pump b will run at 30 % while the pump a is running at 100%. and after that it will switch

chercm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/12/2017, 07:30 AM   #172
chercm
Registered Member

anyone ?

chercm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/12/2017, 03:49 PM   #173
slief
RC Sponsor

Creat a profile for the 30% output. It would have a Min of 30% and a Max of 30%. Call it what ever you want. In this example I will suggest Flow_1.

In the variable speed outlet for pump A and pump B, you could use time to set the intervals.

Pump A variable speed outlet.
Set OFF
If Time 01:00 to 04:00 Then Flow_1

In pump B variable speed outlet.
Set OFF
If Time 04:00 to 07:00 Then Flow_1

This will have pump A run at 30% from 1AM to 4AM. It will be off the rest of the day.
Pump B will run at 30% from 4AM to 7AM. It will be off the rest of the day. You can add more time statements such as those above or refer the beginning of this thread where I explain my programming. If you read through this entire thread will will get a pretty good understanding of what's going on.

If you want them off the rest of the time, use Set OFF (as shown above) at the beginning of the variable speed outlet . IF you want them running a different profile change the "Set OFF" to a profile name with the output of your liking of your liking. For example, if you had Set Flow_1, the default flow for that variable speed outlet would be that of the profile named Flow_1 which would be 30% if that is how you programmed it. You could also use a time statement such as:
If Time 13:00 to 16:00 Then OFF
That will turn them off from 1PM to 4PM.

Last edited by slief; 04/12/2017 at 03:58 PM.
Unread 06/20/2017, 10:56 AM   #174
cincyjim
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
My programming for these things has gotten pretty complex. It leads me to believe that there might have been a more simple approach but since I have not received any feedback, maybe this is the best approach.

My goal is/was to create a choatic flow during hours that the lights are on with a wind up and wind down period before and after the lights go on or off. Additionally, I wanted a calm period when the lights are off. What I have done is created a number of profiles that include various chaotic flow patterns as well as a calm pattern when the lights are off and the wind up and wind down pattern.

I added additional profiles for more flow patterns.
My current profiles are:

Wave1 (This is my main daylight wave pattern)

Synchronize Enabled
Divide by 10 Enabled
Initial off time (Seconds) 0
On time (Seconds) 7
Off time (Seconds) 4
Minimum intensity 0
Maximum intensity 100

Wave2 (Similar pattern to the above but Syn is disabled which creates a bit more chaos)

Synchronize Disabled
Divide by 10 Enabled
On time (Seconds) 7
Off time (Seconds) 4
Minimum intensity 0
Maximum intensity 100

Lt_Flush (This is for the left side 6205 flush)

Synchronize Disabled
Divide by 10 Disabled
On time (Seconds) 30
Off time (Seconds) 30
Minimum intensity 0
Maximum intensity 90

Rt_Flush (Rt 6205 alternate interval of LT_Flush alternates one on while the other is off)

Synchronize Disabled
Divide by 10 Disabled
Initial off time (Seconds) 30
On time (Seconds) 30
Off time (Seconds) 30
Minimum intensity 0
Maximum intensity 90

DuskDawn (This is a lower flow wave pattern used intermittantly during the light hours as well as before and after lights go out)
Synchronize Enabled
Divide by 10 Enabled
On time (Seconds) 7
Off time (Seconds) 4
Minimum intensity 0
Maximum intensity 30

Night (Sets a constant 30% flow during light off hours)
Synchronize Disabled
Divide by 10 Disabled
On time (Seconds) 10
Off time (Seconds) 15
Minimum intensity 30
Maximum intensity 30

I am up to 3 timers. My use for the timers is to create short random periods of different flow during daylight hours. This is one area where I cant help but think there may be an easier approach. I could use some feedback here.

Timer1 (turns on every 120 minutes for 10 minutes. If timer 2 is on at that time, it should remain off.

OSC 120:00/010:00/000:00 Then ON
If Outlet Timer2 = ON Then OFF
If Time 19:30 to 11:30 Then OFF
If FeedA 000 Then OFF

Timer2 (turns on every 45 minutes for 15 minutes except if timer 3 is on)
OSC 045:00/015:00/000:00 Then ON
If Outlet Timer3 = ON Then OFF
If FeedA 000 Then OFF

Timer3 (turn on every 15 minutes for 5 minutes except if timer 1 is on)
OSC 015:00/005:00/000:00 Then ON
If Outlet Timer1 = ON Then OFF
If FeedA 000 Then OFF

These are the variable speed pumps and their programming:
StreamLtSet Wave1
If Time 10:30 to 11:59 Then duskdawn
If Time 12:00 to 19:00 Then Wave1
If Time 19:01 to 20:00 Then duskdawn
If Time 20:01 to 10:29 Then Night
If Outlet Timer1 = ON Then Lt_Flush
If Outlet Timer2 = ON Then duskdawn
If Outlet Timer3 = ON Then Wave2
If FeedA 000 Then OFF

StreamRt
Set Wave1
If Time 10:30 to 11:59 Then duskdawn
If Time 12:00 to 19:00 Then Wave1
If Time 19:01 to 20:00 Then duskdawn
If Time 20:01 to 10:29 Then Night
If Outlet Timer1 = ON Then Rt_Flush
If Outlet Timer2 = ON Then duskdawn
If Outlet Timer3 = ON Then Wave2
If FeedA 000 Then OFF

I think thats it for now. As I said, any expert advice would not only be welcomed but also appreciated. I am trying to mix things up as much as possible and it seems to be working great but if there is a better way or more efficient way of doing this, I would love the advice.

For those that are just diving in to variable speed pumps with the Apex, I hope this helps you out!

Hey Slief,
Are the above codes still valid for use with a pair of Tunze 6095's and the Apex VDM? I have done a lot of searching and this seems to be the best that I can find.
Thanks in advance,
Jim

Current Tank Info: SCA 150G, 5 inch sand bed, 2 Tunze 6095s, ReefBreeders v2+ 50" with 2 all Blue Reefbrites, and Continuous Water Change System
cincyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/20/2017, 11:13 AM   #175
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyjim View Post
Hey Slief,
Are the above codes still valid for use with a pair of Tunze 6095's and the Apex VDM? I have done a lot of searching and this seems to be the best that I can find.
Thanks in advance,
Jim
Sure is. It will work with any controllable Tunze.