Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Tank Journals & Builds
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/01/2017, 09:51 AM   #776
JonezNReef
Registered Member

HAHAHA I just looked over it quick LOL. That is one happy mille

Current Tank Info: System 1 Mixed Reef: 180g DT,180g Fuge, 120g Sump http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2611735
JonezNReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/03/2017, 01:15 PM   #777
soulpatch
Registered Member

So a few updates....

I need to ping my LFS for my replacement foxface.
My solenoid and pump got to their respective businesses to be fixed/checked over.
I decided to pull my bubble algae finally. Spores be damned I pulled as much as I could and will continue to hit it nightly for a while until I barely see any. My ulva is finally down to just a couple rocks but I dont want it completly out as it will be free food for my foxface eventually.

I dont have much else with coming things save for some new corals I have coming. I have the itch though to change something in the tank. Not sure what but I have an itch. I am hoping either pacific sun or Neptune come out with their standalone alk moniters as that would be something I would add. Maybe I will get some more ideas at reefapalooza this year...

Some have bar tabs. I have a coral tab at my LFS. Life goals.
soulpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/04/2017, 10:42 AM   #778
soulpatch
Registered Member

after reading Homer's thread it dawned on me that I added a small tail spot blenny to my tank with the anthias and tusk. I have been paying attention to them and other things in the tank I forgot all about the blenny. Went onto a hunt last night and couldn't find him and I dont really recall seeing him since I added him to the DT. So I am going to chalk him up as dead somewhere in the tank and likely eaten by my CUC. Looks like I wil be adding some form of blenny to my order with my LFS...

Unread 04/05/2017, 11:33 AM   #779
soulpatch
Registered Member

Woot date is set. April 14th is the day Walt Disney hits my tank!!! I can't believe I am this excited for some coral....

Also should anyone want to meet up I will be up at Reefapalooza in NYC this year again. Always fun to meet some people and potentially get a beer or two...

Unread 04/09/2017, 02:50 PM   #780
soulpatch
Registered Member

https://youtu.be/VOyxQJTPDfs

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Unread 04/09/2017, 10:00 PM   #781
mav3rick478
Registered Member

Awesome video walkthrough!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

mav3rick478 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/10/2017, 05:45 AM   #782
cincyjim
Registered Member

Soulpatch thanks so much for doing the video! Great job and I know many of us truly appreciate you for taking the time to do this. Nice tank! Hopefully I can get my 150g setup soon.

For your overflow cover, did you get that from SCA? If so, mine has this wax paper like material on it. I gather it is supposed to be removed before it is placed on the overflow box but I'm not sure if it has an actual purpose. Thanks!

Current Tank Info: SCA 150G, 5 inch sand bed, 2 Tunze 6095s, ReefBreeders v2+ 50" with 2 all Blue Reefbrites, and Continuous Water Change System
cincyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/10/2017, 07:27 AM   #783
soulpatch
Registered Member

yes the paper comes off. It is on acrylic as a protector from scratches. Just peel it off.

Unread 04/10/2017, 10:35 AM   #784
Blink2824
Registered Member

Nice vid. Your SPS are looking happy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blink2824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/10/2017, 10:50 AM   #785
soulpatch
Registered Member

The SPS would make me happier if they would grow faster but I think the calrx will handle that as it will ensure more stability then my manual dosing.

Friday is quickly coming and Walt Disney is coming home and perhaps another couple pieces. Have to see what all he has...

Unread 04/14/2017, 07:45 PM   #786
soulpatch
Registered Member

Calrx back online and a walt disney acro in hand. Ill post pics later when it colors back up.

Have orange passion and pink panther coming as well

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Unread 04/22/2017, 10:52 AM   #787
soulpatch
Registered Member

Some random shots today of new chalice and the Disney and others. Still trying to find the right placement of the Disney to get PE and the colors back the colony had. It's a waiting game...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Unread 04/25/2017, 07:55 AM   #788
TYC
Registered Member

Hey Andy,

wow, just read your build & reminded me of d2mini's tank builds - VERY OCD with the details & very impressive. Noticed on your video there were white dots on your Live rock, I also have white dots all over my live rock, any idea what these are?

Sorry about so many loss of fish last year. Curious though, all the fish that has died were from different sources yet the common denominator was they all went through TTM... I'm wondering if TTM as quarantine was actually too stressful and killed the fish, would they have survived had they just gone through just QT...

Hey also saw on YouTube channel you ride/rode, do u still ride?...I'm currently riding Triumph Thruxton.

TYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/25/2017, 08:58 AM   #789
soulpatch
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TYC View Post
Hey Andy,

wow, just read your build & reminded me of d2mini's tank builds - VERY OCD with the details & very impressive. Noticed on your video there were white dots on your Live rock, I also have white dots all over my live rock, any idea what these are?
mix of filter feeder worms and snail eggs for most part I would say. I dont really pay it much attention to be honest as the rock shoudl be covered shortly given recent growth uptick since my calrx came online.

Quote:
Sorry about so many loss of fish last year. Curious though, all the fish that has died were from different sources yet the common denominator was they all went through TTM... I'm wondering if TTM as quarantine was actually too stressful and killed the fish, would they have survived had they just gone through just QT...
The fish were not done TTM and the cause was likely velvet given the speed and symptoms of the fish. Well either Velvet or Brook. TTM is cure for ich and would have fixed that but the wife put them in the big tank instead of their next transfer. My fish always go through TTM with Prazi at first then a QT period following that to watch for brook and velvet. I think TTM is pretty easy on the fish to be honest. Stress wise I would prefer that to hypo or copper TBH.

Quote:
Hey also saw on YouTube channel you ride/rode, do u still ride?...I'm currently riding Triumph Thruxton.
I still have my bikes and rode briefly last year before my shoulder surgery. I no longer race though and actually just listed my triumph daytona race bike up for sale this week with my race trailer. It would be real nice if that sold in a decent amount of time. I could use the money on a couple corals, bills, and a bathroom redo. Though selling a race prepped bike that only has a certificate of salvage means it is a niche market. So could take some time.

My current street bike is my older GSXr 600 at this point. I have tossed around the thoughts of selling the GSXr and making the Daytona street legal again but that would cut into my returns too much as it would be a grand easy to buy street parts for the daytona again. It is not really a street friendly bike at this point either with the suspension changes and whatnot...

Unread 04/25/2017, 11:32 AM   #790
TYC
Registered Member

Sorry to hear about the shoulder and bike, but great to know you can still ride!

Unread 04/25/2017, 11:34 AM   #791
soulpatch
Registered Member

I am ready for the race bike to go. I am too competitive and the body doesn't hold up like it used to. I push things at the track even on normal track days. Only been down once thankfully but my aches and such catch up fast.

I imagine I will take the GSXr to a couple track days with friends as I will keep my full gear and such but it will be limited. GSXr is full stock though so will be something I have to get used to unless I swap it out for something else.

Unread 04/26/2017, 03:06 AM   #792
strat1960s
Registered Member

I know it's a tough decision to give something like that up. I sold my 65 Mustang after restoring it and owning it for 12 years. It was a tough pill to swallow when I realized I wouldn't get what I put into it back.
It wasn't a 10 second 1/4 car but sure was fun getting sucked into the seat and watching the road disappear as the front end came up. Those were the days.
Ted

Current Tank Info: 240 Gal. mixed reef and 50g SCA
strat1960s is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/26/2017, 04:49 AM   #793
marleesan
Registered Member

How's the trigger with your clean up crew? I'm thinking of adding one to my reef but have shrimp, crabs and snails

marleesan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/26/2017, 07:52 AM   #794
soulpatch
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by strat1960s View Post
I know it's a tough decision to give something like that up. I sold my 65 Mustang after restoring it and owning it for 12 years. It was a tough pill to swallow when I realized I wouldn't get what I put into it back.
It wasn't a 10 second 1/4 car but sure was fun getting sucked into the seat and watching the road disappear as the front end came up. Those were the days.
Ted
That sucks. It really isnt too tough of a decision for me since I did not get to the track last year and since my massive wreck in 2013 I have not been the same at the track. Combination of having a bad wreck at well over 110 and the fact that my first born was all of 2 months old at the time changed me. I cant push it to the limit like I used to and if you have that bit of fear then you might as well call it a day. Besides I am now into reef tanks and golf which eat up MUCH more of my money recently. And if both the bike and trailer sell for my asking I might splurge and go in with my brother for a used waverunner for the beach house. So all is not lost.

Where I can align with you though is my hockey gear. I have full custom goalie gear as I have played hockey since I was perhaps 13 or 14. It was a playoff championship game during which I dislocated and destroyed my shoulder last summer. I finished the game with one arm (I was going for a shutout but let 2 in at the end. Stil won 3-2 though....). My shoulder lost some range and hurts to this day still and I will likely never play goalie again due to shoulders, knees, and ankles. Just too much strain on my battered body. I can not bring myself to sell that gear though. I know I will likely never wear it again but I have a ton of memories, blood, sweat, and tears in those things and mean too much. I could likely sell it all and be able to buy a JF Homewreaker frag but its not worth it. Someday I will have the larger man cave and the gear will go into a display of sorts ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marleesan View Post
How's the trigger with your clean up crew? I'm thinking of adding one to my reef but have shrimp, crabs and snails
Mine is a model citizen. I have my cleaner shrimp, snails, hermits, and crabs in the tank and all are out and about without the trigger bothing them. He is kept well fed with LRS, pellet, krill, and mysis which might have an impact but he just doesnt seem to care about the CUC...

Unread 05/02/2017, 12:36 PM   #795
soulpatch
Registered Member

Well my one bike sold but not the one I expected. I had thought my modified street bike would sell easily for the price I listed it for but the certificate of savage scares most away I guess. My GSXr happened to sell overnight from listing it for more then I was asking on the 675 (friend grabbed it so he got it for less then book but still...)

So now I need to buy parts and rehab my race bike for street duty. Guess I will be leaving my reefing gloves off for a month or so and throwing on my mechanic gloves to swap out some gear...

Unread 05/02/2017, 02:12 PM   #796
TYC
Registered Member

good luck with the rebuild!

Unread 05/08/2017, 07:53 AM   #797
soulpatch
Registered Member

Time for a large water change and bubble algae siphon this week. I was on top of it but slacked a bit. Also have cyano making its way back into the tank. I will attribute that to having the AWC down and perhaps some from Vibrant dosing. I have read plenty of people had issues with cyano who used Vibrant so I am curious.

I have no more ulva in the tank but still have bubble and now cyano. I believe I am going to go back to relying on my chateo and likely nopox again to get things under control again.

I just got in a nitrate test and I will break out my hanna phos tester so I can dose nopox properly.

On the coral and fish side all fish are growing and fat. My corals are seemingly all growing much faster and coloring up nicely since the calrx has come online. All save for my walt disney which is still having limited PE and such. It doesn't look like it is receeding or such but it is not popping out like I would have expected either. I know I run higher nutrients then the tank it came from so I am hoping it is merely a slow acclimation to my tank levels. If not lesson learned LOL.

I am still looking to add a few more fish to the tank. I should be adding a foxface, starry blenny or another blenny, and likely another tang like the powder blue or a naso.

Reefapalooza is quickly approaching and some of the items I will be on the lookout for are:
Nice looking linka or tile starfish
bubblegum digi
chitons (lol come on reef and order some so I can get a few from you)
ultra maxima clam
and COLORFUL acros

Unread 05/17/2017, 08:19 PM   #798
soulpatch
Registered Member

Random pics

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Unread 05/18/2017, 04:44 AM   #799
homer1475
Registered Member

Man were you drunk when you took those pics? haha

Seriously though, those are some of the worst pics I've seen you take. Tanks looking real good and seems things are going well.

Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht:

"He's just taking his lunch to work"
homer1475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/18/2017, 04:44 AM   #800
cincyjim
Registered Member

Loving the tank and everything you have done for it. What is the name of the coral in the 6th picture?

Current Tank Info: SCA 150G, 5 inch sand bed, 2 Tunze 6095s, ReefBreeders v2+ 50" with 2 all Blue Reefbrites, and Continuous Water Change System
cincyjim is offline   Reply With Quote