Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/15/2017, 02:53 PM   #901
drawman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
Thanks to Scythanith for giving me some Potassium phosphate! I also have my own Sodium nitrate. Lastnight I dosed 0.02 ppm PO4 and 1.5 ppm NO3.

Since removing all the fish for minor Ich treatment just after Christmas, and only putting 4 back into the tank, nutrients have totally bottomed out. Before removing the fish NO3 and PO4 were undetectable, but thanks to Pohl'z Xtra dosing, colors were looking pretty good. Now the tank is in bad shape (nutrient stripped) even though I'm feeding the 4 fish about 5 times a day all they can eat. Hopefully the NO3 and PO4 additions will help.

I have 3 fish in QT right now too. Another 2 weeks before adding them.
Good luck with the treatment! I've had a similar experience in my smaller tank removing fish for QT and having nutrients bottom out. I went with Sodium nitrate and Brightwell's neophos. Acros are suffering some from nutrient depletion it's amazing what fish will do for coral.

Current tanks:
30 gallon rimless, G2 radion, Vertex 130, MP10w
60 gallon rimless, G3 radion, Vertex 130, MP40QD
drawman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/15/2017, 07:49 PM   #902
Myka
Reefing since '93

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscusHeckel View Post
Are you still using you CO2 scrubber Mindy? Do you have a picture of its set up please?

Thanks

Bülent
Yes I am.

Current Tank Info: 69 SPS (73 gal net) established July 1/15. (HBD Canada!) ATB 840, ATI 6-bulb dimmable. Fauna Marin balling lite method.
Myka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/16/2017, 03:55 AM   #903
DiscusHeckel
Acropora Gardener

Thanks Mindy.I got the idea. You bought a CO2 adaptor for TLF reactor.

What is the internal diameter of the tube you are using?

Does this set up not reduce its air intake potential of your simmer, thus affecting its performance?

Is there any other way a CO2 scrubber may be used?

Thank you.

Bülent

65G SPS Reef- ATI 8 X 39W PM; TM [Bacto-Balance A-; Reef Actif; Nitribiotic; Iodine]
DiscusHeckel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/16/2017, 05:15 AM   #904
2una
Registered Member

Quote:
Thanks Mindy.I got the idea. You bought a CO2 adaptor for TLF reactor.

What is the internal diameter of the tube you are using?

Does this set up not reduce its air intake potential of your simmer, thus affecting its performance?

Is there any other way a CO2 scrubber may be used?

Thank you.

Bülent
There's how iv'e done mine Bulent if you looking for different ideas.
RO cannister/water filter housing with inserts.3/8 tubing running back to the skimmer where it matches into some rubber tubing coming off the air intake.

2una is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/17/2017, 08:38 AM   #905
Myka
Reefing since '93

Quote:
Originally Posted by drawman View Post
Good luck with the treatment! I've had a similar experience in my smaller tank removing fish for QT and having nutrients bottom out. I went with Sodium nitrate and Brightwell's neophos. Acros are suffering some from nutrient depletion it's amazing what fish will do for coral.
Yesterday I tested the tank mid-afternoon. After two evening doses of NO3 and PO4 here's my results:

SG 34 (normally 35)
Ca 420 ppm (Salifert)
KH 7.7 dKH (Salifert), 7.55 dKH (Hanna) (higher than usual, I'll watch it, but leave it alone)
Mg 1320 ppm (RSP)
K 430 ppm (Salifert test kit reads 60 ppm higher than last Triton test so not sure what's right???)
NO3 0.5-1.0 (Salifert), 0.25-0.5 ppm (RSP)
PO4 7 ppb, 0.02 ppm (Hanna ULR)

So last night I added NO3, but I didn't add any more PO4. I'll check tonight and see if that PO4 got used up before dosing more. I definitely want to take the PO4 increase very slowly. I haven't had much for algae in the tank besides that burgundy turf algae and the weird tufts of very tough green algae that have been there since day one (bubble algae is mostly gone). Yesterday was WC day though (it had been two weeks), and I noticed a significant green cyano bloom. Usually I see some green cyano if I leave the tank 2 weeks between WC, but this was a lot more than usual. I'm assuming the PO4 additions have spurred this. I'll keep an eye on it.

Quote:
Thanks Mindy.I got the idea. You bought a CO2 adaptor for TLF reactor. What is the internal diameter of the tube you are using? Does this set up not reduce its air intake potential of your simmer, thus affecting its performance? Is there any other way a CO2 scrubber may be used? Thank you.

Bülent
Hi Bülent. Yes, I use the TLF adapter, works well. Hose is 3/8" inside diameter. I expected the addition of the reactor to restrict air into the skimmer, but the water line doesn't move when I connect/disconnect it. Odd I thought.

I've not seen a different way to hook up the CO2 scrubber. I've only ever seen them hooked up to the skimmer air intake. I don't see a reason to not do it this way - it works well.

Sorry, I see my photo is HUGE! Not sure why Tapatalk did that.

I meant to take photos of my corals last night to compare after doing the NO3 and PO4 for awhile, but I forgot to. It's been awhile!

Current Tank Info: 69 SPS (73 gal net) established July 1/15. (HBD Canada!) ATB 840, ATI 6-bulb dimmable. Fauna Marin balling lite method.
Unread 04/18/2017, 10:05 PM   #906
Myka
Reefing since '93

If you guys are bored, check out the latest article I wrote for Reef Hobbyist Magazine, Introducing Johnson's Fairy Wrasse.

http://www.reefhobbyistmagazine.com/...q2-2017-6.html

2nd quarter 2017 page 6

Unread 04/19/2017, 07:55 AM   #907
biggles
Registered Member

I went to read the page 6 article and guess what - turns out it's page 6 to page 9.......... 4 pages i had to read Mindy, think i cracked a retina........

Great article and stunning little fairy wrasse Mindy, very cool reading articles written by reefers i know

Unread 04/19/2017, 11:52 AM   #908
Geeray
Registered Member

Nice wrasse you have there Mindy!

Unread 04/20/2017, 04:37 PM   #909
2una
Registered Member

Cool write up Mindy .....See you have a femininus there, Been debating with myself about one for awhile & after watching a vid that had one swimming around in Sunjays tank finally pulled the trigger & ordered one in. I just don't want another wrasse like my red coris that likes to try put the substrate mid air frequently so the sps gets sand blasted.That one in the vid seemed like she wasn't that sort of a problem so hoping they aren't that way inclined,my other tamarin don't go near the substrate much.
Hows your femininus in that regard?

2una is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/22/2017, 02:52 PM   #910
reefmutt
Registered Member

Hey Mindy, nice write up!
That's one seriously conscientious QT process.
Stunning photos as well!

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
reefmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2017, 10:48 AM   #911
Myka
Reefing since '93

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggles View Post
I went to read the page 6 article and guess what - turns out it's page 6 to page 9.......... 4 pages i had to read Mindy, think i cracked a retina........

Great article and stunning little fairy wrasse Mindy, very cool reading articles written by reefers i know
Haha, sorry Andrew! It's a short article even!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeray View Post
Nice wrasse you have there Mindy!
Thanks Geeray, I'm quite fond of Johnny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2una View Post
Cool write up Mindy .....See you have a femininus there, Been debating with myself about one for awhile & after watching a vid that had one swimming around in Sunjays tank finally pulled the trigger & ordered one in. I just don't want another wrasse like my red coris that likes to try put the substrate mid air frequently so the sps gets sand blasted.That one in the vid seemed like she wasn't that sort of a problem so hoping they aren't that way inclined,my other tamarin don't go near the substrate much.
Hows your femininus in that regard?
Hey 2una, I do not have a femininus. Most of the photos in the article are by Hunter Hammond. Those are his fish. The only pic of my wrasse in the article is the one with my hand. Johnny is too fast for me to get pics of. I took over 600 photos trying to get pics for the article, and I failed for the most part.

Here's my best picture of Johhny from January 14th:

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefmutt View Post
Hey Mindy, nice write up!
That's one seriously conscientious QT process.
Stunning photos as well!
Hi Matt, mostly not my photos. I don't like disease in my reef, so QT is a must.

Last edited by Myka; 04/23/2017 at 11:00 AM.
Unread 04/23/2017, 11:00 AM   #912
Myka
Reefing since '93

I took a bunch of photos last night. The photos have a yellow hue that is not seen in person. The white balance was off, so colors aren't quite right...

Most of the following corals are new to me, so are still adjusting and changing colors quite a bit.

Got this one in Feb. LFS ordered me a blue Echinata from a wild Aussie supplier, and this showed up.

Blue mille

This I've had for a number of months now. Maricultured piece.

The one on the left is a green tabling piece that is getting the boot. The one on the right is tenuis I got from another reefer in mid-Feb right in the middle of the dosing pump disaster.

Nice blue Tort I got last fall has finally woken up and put out a couple growth tips at the base. Unaffected by the dosing pump disaster. The yellow hue you see in the pic is just from my wacky white balance - it is a true blue in person. Very pretty.

Got this mariculture piece a couple days ago because of the pretty tips. I'm hoping the base doesn't go green, but I think it probably will and then I'll have to get rid of it. Andrew will tell me it's ugly. Haha

This one is supposed to be an Oregon Tort that I got in mid-Feb during the dosing pump disaster. It didn't seem to mind either. Seems to have a green hue that I thought Oregon Tort should never have. Everything turns green in my tank though, so I don't know what to think about it. Ha.

This I got a couple days ago too. There were bigger pieces - looks very stag-ish. I was looking for a nice blue stag, so hopefully this is it. The fragged piece looks like an austera though with those purple polyps. Hmmm.

Sunset mille

Maricultured tenuis I got about a month ago. It had pink hues in it when it was first imported and looked a lot like a pseudo-Home Wrecker. I'm interested to see how it turns out. I have it under PAR of about 400. Base is just starting to encrust.

Last edited by Myka; 04/23/2017 at 11:54 AM.
Unread 04/23/2017, 11:44 AM   #913
cFloor
Registered Member

Looking good!!!

Instagram: @cfloorsaltwater
cFloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2017, 11:54 AM   #914
Myka
Reefing since '93

Oh, an update on the NO3 and PO4 dosing...

NO3 is about 5 ppm right now
PO4 4 ppb, 0.01 ppm (tested this morning before lights came on)

So for now I've stopped NO3 dosing, and I'll monitor it and figure out the daily dose I need to maintain 2-5 ppm. PO4 I've been dosing just under 0.02 ppm every evening. This has caused a green cyano outbreak, and I'm hoping over time this will subside, but for now it's sucking all the PO4 out of the water of the end of the day. Grrr...

Still dosing 3 mL Pohl's Xtra every evening after lights out.

Unread 04/24/2017, 08:59 AM   #915
Myka
Reefing since '93

So a couple months ago I put a frag rack in my tank for an hour to hold some frags off the sand that I was taking in to the LFS so I could vacuum the sand during a WC. Well, I managed to put an 11" scratch into the side pane of my tank from sliding the stupid rack. About 4" of the scratch is very noticeable, the rest is very minor. However, it's right slap in the middle of the pane, and the side is my main viewing pane from the couch. I have been seething.

I decided I "need" a new tank now. I can use this "opportunity" to make a few changes to the system that have been bugging me. First, the weir overflow is about 5/8" shorter than I would like it. I'd like the tank to be fuller. Second, the gap in the weir is too big, and fish go through it. Third, as much as I really like the clean look of the coast to coast black glass false wall overflow, I think I'd prefer that space inside the tank. Fourth, I currently have little gaps in the rounded screening corners for the powerhead lines to go through, and I don't like this. By going with a traditional corner overflow with built-in return the display area goes from 36x21x21" which is 69 gallons not including glass displacement or actual water height, to 36x24x21" which is 79 gallons (before deducting the corner overflow area which is about 3 gallons). The overflow will be approximately 9x4" which gives me enough space for the 1" Herbie-style drains and the 3/4" return. There are (3) 1.5" holes in the euro-bracing to accommodate black plastic grommets normally seen on office desks which I'll use to pass the powerhead wires through.

New design:

This is the current tank design. It does currently have the one-piece euro-bracing, but my drawing ability was not able to show that. There is also a single 3/4" hole in the euro-bracing at the back center where the return line comes over the back and through the euro-bracing.

You can see the screen/wires and return line here as well as the really low water line.

Last edited by Myka; 04/24/2017 at 09:42 AM.
Unread 04/24/2017, 09:09 AM   #916
drawman
Registered Member

Nice who is making the tank?

Current tanks:
30 gallon rimless, G2 radion, Vertex 130, MP10w
60 gallon rimless, G3 radion, Vertex 130, MP40QD
drawman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/24/2017, 09:42 AM   #917
Myka
Reefing since '93

Quote:
Originally Posted by drawman View Post
Nice who is making the tank?
I haven't ordered it yet. It will be Concept Aquariums in Calgary, AB.

Unread 04/24/2017, 10:00 AM   #918
codydemmel4
Registered Member

I am having a very very hard time getting my phosphates off 0 with the hanna ulr so I think I am gonna have to add P04, how are you doing this and how much?

SPS Dominant 180 gallon.

Link to my tank: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2618245
codydemmel4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/24/2017, 10:13 AM   #919
Myka
Reefing since '93

Quote:
Originally Posted by codydemmel4 View Post
I am having a very very hard time getting my phosphates off 0 with the hanna ulr so I think I am gonna have to add P04, how are you doing this and how much?
I'm using Monopotassium phosphate which you can buy as a powder from a freshwater planted aquarium fertilizer supplier. Use this calculator to make a solution: https://rotalabutterfly.com/nutrient-calculator.php

Unread 04/24/2017, 10:43 AM   #920
reefmutt
Registered Member

Mindy, you have made your argument and made it well. I concur. Your 'need' for a new tank is REAL!
Concept has built a few tanks for people out this way and I have only ever heard good things about them.
I like the design. Larger tank volume and better depth.
Now, about a couple of those corals.. I want them! That Aussie 'blue' tennis would make me kinda happy if it turned out how yours is. It's cool
I am Jack's total envy (sorry, was watching fight club lately) for that blue and white tort. Just stunning.
Still love that pale yellow deep water as well. And the 'Oregon tort' is actually really pretty as well.. whether it's a true OT is debatable but I still want it!!
What's your current status with AF?

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
reefmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/24/2017, 11:52 AM   #921
cFloor
Registered Member

New tank time!! Your reasoning is totally justifiable. I would do the same thing. Are there any other changes you will be making other than what you have stated. Aquascape, corals, fish? Looking forward to following along.

Instagram: @cfloorsaltwater
cFloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/24/2017, 07:08 PM   #922
Myka
Reefing since '93

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefmutt View Post
Mindy, you have made your argument and made it well. I concur. Your 'need' for a new tank is REAL!
Concept has built a few tanks for people out this way and I have only ever heard good things about them.
I like the design. Larger tank volume and better depth.
Now, about a couple of those corals.. I want them! That Aussie 'blue' tennis would make me kinda happy if it turned out how yours is. It's cool
I am Jack's total envy (sorry, was watching fight club lately) for that blue and white tort. Just stunning.
Still love that pale yellow deep water as well. And the 'Oregon tort' is actually really pretty as well.. whether it's a true OT is debatable but I still want it!!
What's your current status with AF?
The first rule about Fight Club is you DO NOT talk about Fight Club! Tsk tsk

That blue and white Tort was a total score. I think I will name it. It's name will be Myka's Sapphire Tort.

I'm dosing DIY Aquaforest Components 1+2+3+. I have the containers mixed differently though. I wanted to use Magnesium sulfate because my tank is super low in sulfate, plus I wanted a bit of a pH boost, and I also find my tank uses more potassium than the mix provides, so I made the following changes:

Container 1: Calcium chloride + Components Strong A & B
Container 2: Sodium carbonate + Components Strong C
Container 3: Mineral Salt + Components Strong D

Then I add 10g Potassium chloride and 10g Magnesium sulfate to the freshly mixed saltwater for water changes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cFloor View Post
New tank time!! Your reasoning is totally justifiable. I would do the same thing. Are there any other changes you will be making other than what you have stated. Aquascape, corals, fish? Looking forward to following along.
I knew you guys would understand.

The aquascape will literally be lifted and placed into the new tank...maybe shift pieces sideways a bit. Generally the same. Corals - well the tank is pretty full right now, just waiting for it to grow.

Current fish:

1x Johnson's Wrasse
2x Onyx Percs
1x loner Snowflake Ocellaris that's in a holding box (contributing fish poop lol)

Future fish:

2x Helfrich's Firefish
1x Pelicier's Perchlet (Pablo passed away from a tumor) *sniff sniff*
1x Bell's Flasher Wrasse
1x Candy Basslet
3-5x Anthias
(maybe) 1x Golden Dwarf Eel

Unread 04/27/2017, 06:24 PM   #923
Ucantwin
Registered Member

I don't know how you keep going with the no3 and po4 dosing. I would be to scared after seeing the cyano pop up. I would think with it showing up that there is an abundance of nutrients, even if getting 0's on test kits.

I remember dosing no3 and then getting cyano so I instantly stopped but then th cyano wouldn't go away.

Ucantwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/29/2017, 08:56 AM   #924
markalot

Just catching up. Last set of pics looks great, and now a new tank?

Unread 04/30/2017, 04:56 PM   #925
Myka
Reefing since '93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ucantwin View Post
I don't know how you keep going with the no3 and po4 dosing. I would be to scared after seeing the cyano pop up. I would think with it showing up that there is an abundance of nutrients, even if getting 0's on test kits.

I remember dosing no3 and then getting cyano so I instantly stopped but then th cyano wouldn't go away.
It's not the NO3 causing the cyano, it's the PO4. I'm not scared of cyano, but I did cut back on the PO4 so I'm not getting any PO4 readings anymore, but adding just enough in the evenings (I hope) to prevent PO4 hitting "absolute zero". The PO4 additions seem to have made a significant difference in daytime polyp extension though, so I'm not ready to toss in the towel yet. The cyano is pretty mild.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markalot View Post
Just catching up. Last set of pics looks great, and now a new tank?
Hey Mark! The corals aren't in the best condition right now since the doser apocalypse, but they are starting to bounce back. I have some fish in the QT, so this will certainly help the situation.

New tank is being ordered next week. Might see it end of May or early June?