Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/17/2017, 04:17 PM   #51
CrayolaViolence
Registered Member

Pretty sure it's velvet. Which can tolerate (depending on the species) some seriously low salinity levels.

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon reef tank
CrayolaViolence is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/18/2017, 03:02 AM   #52
shanebc21
Registered Member

Glad your back. Sorry to hear about your fish problems. Try this:
http://www.liveaquaria.com/PIC/article.cfm?aid=84

shanebc21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2017, 10:51 AM   #53
ct_purley
Registered Member

Were you running a UV? no idea if this would have made a difference with that outbreak.

ct_purley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2017, 02:18 PM   #54
Kannin
Registered Member

I have had great luck with xtreme garlic. cant say for sure if it is the garlic it's self or just the fact that it gets them to eat and the nutrition helps them recover faster.

soak the frozen food in a few drops of it.

Unread 04/19/2017, 06:29 PM   #55
alanmorehead
Registered Member

I'll post some pics with more updates, but I'm stuck on an issue with my yellow-belly blue hippo tang. I did a full reset of the tank (complete bleach, dry out, etc) and have it rebuilt. I put the 6 surviving fish in hospital tank and ran a pretty extensive treatment. I ended up doing hypo-only for 2 weeks, then added copper for 30 days, following by two 5-7 day treatments of Prazipro (This routine of copper+prazipro is supposed to be extremely effective for broad treatment from what I've read).

I started raising the salinity middle of last week, then added (now 4) remaining fish to the display. Unfortunately, my melanurus wrasse died the day before addition and I lost the yellow hogfish sometime during the treatment. So, now I have the orange shoulder tang + blue hippo + yellow watchman + a dartfish.

The orange shoulder tang has a 2" long mark on it's side. It almost looks like it got cut. Other than the scratch, it appears fine. The 2 smaller fish seem completely fine.

On to the critical issue:
The blue hippo tang has been breathing rapidly the past couple days. It was extremely difficult to monitor in hospital tank because it would lay on it's side under PVC, except when it came out to eat.

Right now, I'm trying to figure out what could possibly be the issue with the blue hippo and if/what I should do for treatment. The other fish are breathing normally. Ammonia test (API) was zero or close to it. I've added a couple air stones and have the skimmer pump injecting air into the water column. Trying to guarantee high oxygenation and no ammonia.

Should I do a freshwater dip? How likely is it that the blue hippo would even have a parasite, given that it just went through 30 days copper + 2 prazipro doses?

Should I move it to a tank of fresh saltwater (or my isolated coral system) to counter and sort of ammonia levels? The test didn't really show anything and the other fish are fine, so I'm not sure if this would help

I hate to do nothing and just have it die, but the fish doesn't seem to be improving and it's not eating. I'd also hate to do a fw dip or move to a new tank and cause more stress.

Current Tank Info: 450g Peninsula
alanmorehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/19/2017, 07:26 PM   #56
Darthv247
Registered Member

dunno how much you can do. maybe try a freshwater dip and see if it has flukes.

Darthv247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/19/2017, 07:50 PM   #57
SBV
Registered Member

Copper and prazi would killed the flukes. If cupramine was at .5 and 2 rounds of prazi has been done, I don't think a freshwater dip would do anything. You would just be creating more stress for the fish. Good luck. Think you have done as good as you can. For future fish do the cupramine and prazi treatment on new arrivals.

Current Tank Info: 120 LPS RR, 40 gal. fuge
SBV is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2017, 05:40 PM   #58
chuckbuc
Registered Member

Nice build ...what return pump are you using ?

chuckbuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/26/2017, 02:09 PM   #59
alanmorehead
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBV View Post
Copper and prazi would killed the flukes. If cupramine was at .5 and 2 rounds of prazi has been done, I don't think a freshwater dip would do anything. You would just be creating more stress for the fish. Good luck. Think you have done as good as you can. For future fish do the cupramine and prazi treatment on new arrivals.
Well, I did end up losing the hippo after a FW dip. It was in a pretty bad state before the dip with no signs of improvement over the previous few days, so I had to at least try something. Just a bummer that I put it through 2 months of treatment and made it all the way to DT addition, then lost it.

Moving on, the orange shoulder tang still has the weird ~2" long "scratch" on it's left side. Other than that mark, it's doing fine (eating well and doesn't appear to be hindered). I've researched pictures, but was unable to ID anything. The best way I can describe it is a "raised scratch covered with sand-like grains". Originally, I thought it was a scratch from the other tang. However, it generally follows the lateral line. Does not appear to have classic HLLE signs. Possibly a lateral line fungus/infection? Can anyone ID this, so I can properly treat it?

Sorry about quality. I can get a better pic tonight:

Unread 04/26/2017, 02:11 PM   #60
alanmorehead
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckbuc View Post
Nice build ...what return pump are you using ?
I'm mostly using a Jebao DC-12000. During cleanings, I swap it out with a Reef Octopus water blaster HY-7000

Unread 04/26/2017, 02:28 PM   #61
scuzy
Registered Member

Try some nitrofurazone to help with bacterial infection from the wound. Nitrofuracin powder is nitrofuran and mythlene blue combo I use it. If you need immediate kanamycin is good and is absorb through skin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

scuzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/26/2017, 02:29 PM   #62
CrayolaViolence
Registered Member

Could be bacterial. You may want to see if you can catch him and do a methlyn blue dip and maybe a soak in peroxide. That should cover everything from fungus to parasite to bacteria.

However, I will say nodules are usually a sign of a viral infection, and there isn't much you can do about that then to wait it out.

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon reef tank
CrayolaViolence is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/26/2017, 03:48 PM   #63
alanmorehead
Registered Member

Thanks for the info. Here are a few more pics that are a bit clearer. Can you confirm anything from these?

Thanks

Unread 04/27/2017, 10:31 PM   #64
Darthv247
Registered Member

looks more fungal to me but i cannot see the pic too well.

Darthv247 is offline   Reply With Quote