Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/30/2012, 11:19 PM   #51
Maximus
Registered Member

I looked at another pic and I think I was seeing things. I don't see the piece of glass sticking up anymore.

Current Tank Info: 36x36x16 A.G.E. tank. Lighting: ATI Straton. Circulation: 2x Vortech MP40wQd's. Skimmer: Red Sea 300. Controller: Neptune Apex. Doser: Neptune Dos.
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/30/2012, 11:25 PM   #52
psychoanalyzer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
Thanks psycho. It seems as if the 4 and 8g have a piece of glass or plexi sticking up on the rear. Am I seeing it right?
The portion that sticks up in the very back is actually the back part of the tank where the glass is taller than the other 3 sides (it is covered with black material so it doesn't look like glass). The issue I am referring to is with the removable filter section that is made of acrylic.

psychoanalyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/30/2012, 11:30 PM   #53
Maximus
Registered Member

Ok, yeah I read about the removable filter section issue and how a person took some black airline tubing, split it in half, and glued it to the rear of the filter, forming a better seal in the rear. So in all these tanks, is the glass in the rear taller than the other 3 sides? Any reason for that?

Current Tank Info: 36x36x16 A.G.E. tank. Lighting: ATI Straton. Circulation: 2x Vortech MP40wQd's. Skimmer: Red Sea 300. Controller: Neptune Apex. Doser: Neptune Dos.
Unread 01/30/2012, 11:33 PM   #54
Maximus
Registered Member

After looking at a video, it looks like the rear is taller to accommodate the clamp of the led lights. I bet the AI nano would look great for the 18g tank!

Unread 01/30/2012, 11:34 PM   #55
psychoanalyzer
Registered Member

FINALLY, as promised many moons ago it seems, here are some vids for your viewing pleasure. So far I only have life in my 4g with hopefully the first corals going into the 8g later this week. I caught a pretty funny interaction between the Pom Pom Crab I added last night and the Sexy Shrimp I added last week. The Pom Pom was like, "Don't even think about it, Sexy. I'll Anemone you so fast you won't be able to bring sexy back!" LOL I hope you enjoy the title I came up with for the first two vids: a shout out to the ridiculous cheerleading movies from the past decade. haha As always, be sure to open up the vids in HD!

http://youtu.be/_u-wAW87kOM?hd=1

http://youtu.be/u4m3_B9vtBE?hd=1

http://youtu.be/4wgVVKiHttA?hd=1

Unread 01/30/2012, 11:35 PM   #56
psychoanalyzer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
After looking at a video, it looks like the rear is taller to accommodate the clamp of the led lights. I bet the AI nano would look great for the 18g tank!
Yep, you got it...

Unread 01/30/2012, 11:41 PM   #57
Maximus
Registered Member

Haha cool videos! Love the pom pom!

Unread 01/30/2012, 11:59 PM   #58
Austinchap
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flytrap1 View Post
Sorry I remember that your tank in on your kitchen counter. So How did you level it?
Luckily the idiots that built my apartment new how to use a level lol. I put the tank up there and it was dead on. It was meant to be.

Austinchap is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/05/2012, 12:58 PM   #59
psychoanalyzer
Registered Member

Yesterday I received my 453nm blue LED strips from Ecoxotic. Below is a link to a video I created showing the comparisons with the stock CAD Lights 4g lighting and the 2 EcoPico strips. I purchased these two strips to put on my 8g CAD Lights pico, but since I don't have life in it yet, I have been doing testing with them on my 4g. Special thanks to eb8919 for suggesting I get two strips to start with; I will definitely use both on my 8g. I am still trying to decide if I will get one or two strips for the 4g. The video does not have very accurate coloration (shot with an iPhone 4), but it does effectively demonstrate how much these lights add to the stock lighting. They DEFINITELY make the colors in my corals pop! When I turn off the actinics and have just the stock lighting on it looks disgusting by comparison: these actinics are THAT GOOD! I will also post some comparison pics and vids showing the 8g with stock lighting and the 4g with the stock plus actinics.

On the livestock front, two days ago I added another Pom Pom crab (believed to be a female, so now I have one male and one female), two blue-leg hermits from my Biocube, green-face/purple-mouth/brown-skirt zoas, green striped mushroom, and red mushroom. I also temporarily added a spotted Mandarin, but he is going in my Biocube tomorrow when I head into the office. Now I just need a few more sexy shrimp and I'll have completed all of my plans for this tank with the exception of possibly adding two Harlequin shrimp (still debating that one due to tank size).

I hope this video provides some useful info for everyone following this thread, and let me just say, GET AT LEAST ONE STRIP OF THE ECOPICO 453nm LED'S! You WILL NOT regret it! Massive improvement over stock lighting, especially if you are keeping corals!!!

http://youtu.be/ZX0UabTEvEQ?hd=1

Unread 02/05/2012, 03:44 PM   #60
Flytrap1
Registered Member

Hi all,

Well after over a month I setup up my CADlight Mini 8. I first was waiting for the FP-28 that I was told would ship with the system. After receiving it it had the FP-08. So I called and was told that they would get right out and after a week and no pump I called again and was told that the FP-08 was the pump for this system. I told them that it was to small and they agreed to send the FP-28 and told me that I would need to make the hole bigger. So after another week the pump came. I enlarged the hole only to find that now the pump is to big and now the compartment will not slide back in place. I did find all the connectors to get it to sit lower in the third compartment like Austinchap did. I purchased a hydroflo but I do not like it. It sticks out to far in tank and cause a sand ditch so I removed it. But with the straight tip I am still getting the sand ditch. I would like something with some adjustment so I can change the direction of flow. The problem now is that the connector that goes thought the hole has a male 1/2 garden hose connection. In fact I had CADlight send me another barb connector like that came with the FP-28. Any ideas? I see adjustable tank nozzles but they have male connectors and not female.

Flytrap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/05/2012, 09:43 PM   #61
Luckedout
Registered Member

Nice video psycho. The light strip really made a big difference. I'll probably add one in the next couple of months.

Flytrap1, generally in a nano if you have strong directional flow you're going to have a bit of a ditch somewhere. I personally prefer it at the back of the tank vs. the front. You can do what I did and use the 08 with a koralia nano, but I still get a ditch.. well it's more of a bare spot. You could use a coarser substrate like crushed coral and that would help.

Luckedout is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/06/2012, 08:48 AM   #62
psychoanalyzer
Registered Member

Here is a pic comparing the 4g with the stock lighting and 2 of the 453nm Ecoxotic EcoPico LED strips to the 8g with stock lighting...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4g & 8g actinic comparison 1.jpg (41.6 KB, 141 views)
Unread 02/06/2012, 08:58 AM   #63
psychoanalyzer
Registered Member

Here's a pic of the Zoas under the stock plus actinic lighting...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Zoas - stock plus actinics.jpg (102.4 KB, 56 views)
Unread 02/06/2012, 09:02 AM   #64
psychoanalyzer
Registered Member

Pic of the green stripe mushroom, Sexy Shrimp, and red mushroom under stock plus actinic lighting...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mushrooms & Sexy Shrimp - stock plus actinics.jpg (55.6 KB, 59 views)
Unread 02/21/2012, 11:43 PM   #65
psychoanalyzer
Registered Member

Hello everyone, how are things in your CAD Lights' worlds?! I've been doing quite a bit with mine since I last posted. I now have life in the 8 gallon! See the video links below. I made a spontaneous day-trip to World Wide Corals in Orlando last Sunday (3.5 hrs each way...haha) after watching the YouTube vids of their display tanks the past few months I couldn't resist. Wow! Was I a kid in a candy store! I'm lucky I made it out of there with only about 15 purchases. lol Most were corals that went into the 8g, but I also got a Harlequin shrimp to go in the 4g along with the Pom Pom Crab and Sexy Shrimp. I plan to keep the feeder starfish for the Harlequin in my 24g Nanocube and cut off a leg at a time. We'll see how well that works out. I hope you enjoy each of the vids (be sure to watch in HD), and I look forward to hearing updates on everyone's tanks soon!

http://youtu.be/S-g_bTIznBw?hd=1

http://youtu.be/TX3bjzowUA8?hd=1

http://youtu.be/PHRQReFKqx8?hd=1

Unread 02/22/2012, 12:25 AM   #66
psychoanalyzer
Registered Member

Here is an FTS of the 8g

Attached Images
File Type: jpg FTS 8g 2-21-12.jpg (67.1 KB, 121 views)
Unread 02/22/2012, 11:28 AM   #67
eb8919
Reefaholic

Hey psycho, nice video comparing the colors of the stock and addition of the ecopico! I haven't updated in awhile but I just received my second ecopico strip today. My comparison may look a little different though. I ended up ordering a rapidled Par38 bulb to replace the stock lighting . I've also added quite a bit of life in the last few weeks so I am due for a big update.

Unread 02/22/2012, 05:01 PM   #68
kuro
Registered Member

Same here, even though i don't have my own thread i'm going to mod up a very powerful led for this 8g nano, it actually on it way right now 70watt led for little tiny 8g nano lol which i have to dim it down a lot, i also place a skimmer aquaC remora which fit perfectly in the back and using the 1st and 2nd chamber for chaeto. I'm going to order a finnex 4g or something and use the cadlight led on it for zoa and NPS.

kuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2012, 12:19 PM   #69
psychoanalyzer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb8919 View Post
Hey psycho, nice video comparing the colors of the stock and addition of the ecopico! I haven't updated in awhile but I just received my second ecopico strip today. My comparison may look a little different though. I ended up ordering a rapidled Par38 bulb to replace the stock lighting . I've also added quite a bit of life in the last few weeks so I am due for a big update.
eb8919, please show some pics and/or vids of the setup with the PAR38!! What combination of LED's did you select for the PAR38? I am still researching possible alternatives to using 2 or 3 of the EcoPico strips for my 8 gallon. I've been looking at several options for plug n play from RapidLED. I'd like to find a way to create a fuller color spectrum, particularly by including LED's in the actinic range such as 420nm, etc.

Unread 02/23/2012, 12:20 PM   #70
psychoanalyzer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuro View Post
Same here, even though i don't have my own thread i'm going to mod up a very powerful led for this 8g nano, it actually on it way right now 70watt led for little tiny 8g nano lol which i have to dim it down a lot, i also place a skimmer aquaC remora which fit perfectly in the back and using the 1st and 2nd chamber for chaeto. I'm going to order a finnex 4g or something and use the cadlight led on it for zoa and NPS.
Kuro, would you add some pics of your current setup? Also, what are the details of the light you are planning to use?

Unread 02/23/2012, 03:11 PM   #71
reefjunkie42
Wrasse junkie

I need to update mine as well

Current Tank Info: 60g SPS reef
reefjunkie42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2012, 07:20 PM   #72
kuro
Registered Member

i went with the aquastyle 24 dimmable led, the owner was nice he didn't charge me extra for some of the expensive led. I went with 8 royal blue, 2 blue, 2 cyan, 4 45k, 4 10k, and 4 420 true violet, that should cover most of the spectrum I'm going to add some acan lord in the future and don't want them to lose their colors, also some sps corals. I won't be able to update till 2nd week of March to much final before spring break.

kuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2012, 05:40 AM   #73
eb8919
Reefaholic

I picked up the 7 bulb par38 from Rapidled with 80 degree optics. Mounted it in a sturdy desk lamp from Walmart. The lamp works great because it can swivel any which way at the bulb and can easily be raised or lowered. I also rigged some eggcrate on the lamp to mount two ecopico actinic strips. Here are some pics of the set up, quick fts and some coral

Pics taken with phone, will have to update with better pics soon,
Everything is going well in the tank. Algae cycles have cleared up with the exception of a little slime here and there. Have added a black ocellaris clown which will be moving into a 20 gallon frag tank with a mate soon. Also added a six line wrasse and a blood shrimp which will be the primary inhabitants. All are doing well. The six line took a dive the other day onto the cement while I was working on the tank but he recovered quickly.
Having some issues with certain zoas fully opening. Not sure if they are acclimating to the leds (they all came from less intense lighting). Some are doing great, others not so much. Have been checking for pests religiously but haven't found anything yet.

Unread 02/26/2012, 02:36 PM   #74
eb8919
Reefaholic

I raised the light about 5 inches after posting the last update. A lot of the zoas have been opening up more and showing some color. Perhaps I under estimated the intensity of these leds? Most of the zoa frags I buy are from 2 bulb T5 tanks so I may have shocked them initially. Good to go now though . Lets see some more updates from everyone else! show off those FTS's.

Unread 02/26/2012, 08:54 PM   #75
esshoes
Registered Member

Does the 12 gallon count?

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2108194

esshoes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cadlights