Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/25/2016, 11:46 AM   #76
scubadan206
Registered Member

I have done a few things recently that were part of the original idea I guess.
I finally drilled a hole in the floor to run my cable for the apex to the router. It was easier than I thought but drilling holes in the floor scares me a bit.
I also upgraded my lights. I added two more Radions for a total of four over my tank. I had them turned up fairly high to try to get more light to all the tank. Now I have more coverage and I was able to run them at much lower power with about the same outcome.

Some corals from black Friday are doing well and I have several new fish in the system. A coris wrass was added downstairs a few days ago. A trio of dartfish was also added a while back. Then a peppermint shrimp, goby and reef lobster was added out of another persons tank. Unfortunately I lost a few fish as well. My Bangai cardinal got stuck in one of my eductors and died, and a dartfish jumped out during the 30 seconds I had the tank lids off. It went on the floor and my dog started chewing on it. Guess I can't blame her for being a rat terrier.
I sold quite a bit of my frags to the local fish guy last month. About 60% of what I had downstairs. I need to vary the type of stuff I grow. He has trouble selling some of what I bring him. The corals don't look nearly as good in his system as in mine. I really think he runs his lights way too low and his water quality sucks.

Some pics from the actinic period on my reef.

Daniel.

scubadan206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/25/2016, 11:56 AM   #77
scubadan206
Registered Member

MERRY CHRISTMAS everyone!
Daniel.

Unread 04/16/2017, 07:47 PM   #78
scubadan206
Registered Member

Happy Easter to everyone.
He is risen indeed!

Unread 04/27/2017, 01:05 PM   #79
scubadan206
Registered Member

Some growth progression shots.
This is a little over a year worth.

Unread 05/09/2017, 12:12 PM   #80
scubadan206
Registered Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ks0xf38vzew
Vid of my clownfish spawning. I catch them at the right time about twice a year.

Unread 05/10/2017, 07:49 AM   #81
dave.m
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubadan206
I catch them at the right time about twice a year.
There's juice loose aboot this hoose!

Dave.M

Current Tank Info: None. Nil. Zip. Nada.
dave.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/21/2017, 07:42 PM   #82
scubadan206
Registered Member

Bad day the week of MACNA. I come home today and my tank is down about 6 inches. OK, the return pump needs a re-boot. Nope, dead.....
For how long, who knows. Only fatality is some aptasia in my overflow.
Problem fixed, barely. An old Rio pump can pump enough to dribble the water out of the returns. Never mind the reactors for now. I'm either going all in with a speedy 3 150 watt, or something cheap from eBay for now. Not much can do 3500 GPH internally that is efficient. Hopefully Scott Lief can talk me into going all in this week at MACNA.
Then I look over at the quarantine tank. Its green. What the..... The new auto-feeder I put on for the week has no food reservoir. Damn thing fell off into the tank, full of green flake food.
The skimmer is going nuts in both tanks now. like me, lots of crap to deal with....

Unread 03/12/2018, 11:20 AM   #83
scubadan206
Registered Member

Been a while. I've dealt with some stuff recently of course. I did pick up a Royal Exclusive for a return pump. It pumps more water at 110 watts than my old Speedwave at a full 160 watts. Nice.
A reminder to all those out there to calibrate your refractometer more often. I got a new salt that is a little more condensed. Instead of the usual 22 cups in the 44 gallon bucket, it takes 19 to reach 1.025. I was wondering why my zoanthids were not happy. My reef was at 1.028. Dummy me.
I also decided to remove several large colonies of montipora and birdsnest. I didn't pay enough attention to my dosing and I spiked my alkalinity to 10 DKH. Dummy me.
Well everything is back to growing. My sps were mad at me but will recover.
Some bad news around the house. My little rat terrier had two seizures I believe. She's around 14. She lays on the pillow now without much mobility or control. We need to decide in the next day or two whether to euthanize her. I know I'd want to live, but she hasn't eaten well for a while even before this. Dying slowly from starvation and dehydration would be much worse.
My local reef store was purchased by another, larger store. This basically means he has stuff to sell all the time now, but at higher prices.....
Still have store credit, and he still gives what I believe is fair value for trade-in. It also gives him time to be with his family more often. He was a one man show for years.

Daniel.