Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/24/2017, 08:53 AM   #1
Orr2003
Registered Member

Glass tank construction questions

After ordering a glass tank that came in busted and then ordering a large acrylic tank that I refused due to unspeakable craftsmanship I have decided I will just build a tank and only have myself to blame if something goes wrong this time.

So I want to build a 60"L x 36"W x 14"H tank. First let me say I have never built a tank but build for a living just not with glass lol. I have been reading, watching, and practicing with spare glass on how to build a glass aquarium. I am thinking 1/2" glass for the bottom, sides, and bracing.

Since I have never built a tank I am unsure about a few things and want to make sure I am doing everything correctly.

First lets talk about the bottom of the tank. This is the part that I am least comfortable with. I am thinking 1/2" glass bottom 58 7/8" x 34 7/8". This full glass sheet will sit on 2" wide strips of 1/2" glass all along the perimeter of the bottom pane flush with the outside of the bottom pane. This will give me 1" of glass surface for the side panels to silicone to. Does this sound right?

The front and back panels will be 60" x 14" 1/2" glass and the sides will be 34 7/8" x 14". The front, back and side panels WILL NOT sit on top of the bottom but will silicone to the side of the bottom panel. Any problems?

For the top bracing (eurobrace) I will be using 60" strips 3" wide along the top front and back panels which will tie in the side panels with this strip and then two 30 3/4" x 3" strips on top of the side panels. This bracing will also be out of 1/2" glass. Any concerns here?

I will be using RTV 108 silicone.

I am in the planning stage and want to build this tank the correct way. So any suggestions from the tank builders out there is greatly appreciated. Not really sure about how to do the bottom but my stand is built out of 2x6 lumber with a solid plywood top. All the joist bracing for the top of the stand is supported underneath with 2x6 upright studs. So the stand and top are level and rock solid. But still want to make sure the bottom is built correctly since that is the part I am the most unfamilar with.

I might go a little taller on the sides from 14" to 16" havent decided yet but that shouldnt change anything other than glass height on front, back, and sides.

Any suggestions?

Unread 04/24/2017, 01:05 PM   #2
BeanAnimal
Registered Member

My suggestion?

Don't do it. While tank building is not rocket science, it is a learned craft with little margin for error. spend your DIY time and money on something with a better return. This is not a project you want to learn on or have fail.

There are plenty of reputable custom glass tank shops. A bad experience with one does not mean they are all that way.

BeanAnimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/24/2017, 02:03 PM   #3
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

I'm with BeanAnimal here.

I've made 5 tanks, the biggest being 4'x2'x14" and 2'x2'x20". It isn't rocket science, but it does involve some skill to do it right and lots of practice to make it look good. That said, a 14" deep tank doesn't have nearly the kind of pressure a 24" deep tank does. Both are 3/8" glass and no euro brace. The 14" deep tank is 4 years old and the 20" deep tank is only 6 months old.

Unread 04/24/2017, 04:26 PM   #4
Orr2003
Registered Member

Thanks for the input guys but I am really looking for advice on the construction of the tank not whether I should build it or not. Dont get me wrong I respect your advice but I am merely looking for actual tank design suggestions. Like should the bottom brace strips be wider than 2"? Should I use 3/4" for the bottom instead of 1/2"? So any design advice you have is greatly appreciated at this point. With the tank height only being 14" and the side panels siliconed to the side of the bottom and bracing this should be a simple build even with 1/2" glass.

Unread 04/24/2017, 06:21 PM   #5
bblumberg
Registered Member

Well, since you insist, the information at this site could be helpful.

http://designs4aquariums.com/

I ordered the plans for a 50g cube just for fun since I found his video very informative. I will probably cut it in half and make a frag tank first to test whether I have any skills or not.

Current Tank Info: 150G mixed reef (6x Blue Acro 20K Pro COB LEDs, 4x 80W T5 supplement), 150g fw discus (T5 lighting), 110G fw Angelfish (DIY LED lighting), 4 x 40 g frag tanks (DIY LED).
bblumberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/25/2017, 11:34 AM   #6
Orr2003
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblumberg View Post
Well, since you insist, the information at this site could be helpful.

http://designs4aquariums.com/

I ordered the plans for a 50g cube just for fun since I found his video very informative. I will probably cut it in half and make a frag tank first to test whether I have any skills or not.
The plan is to build a glass tank 60x36x14 or 60x36x16

I would buy one if the lead time wasnt 7 months and the price wasnt $4000

Wonder how much this tank cost? http://www.austinreefclub.com/topic/...-age-60x36x16/

Unread 04/25/2017, 03:41 PM   #7
karimwassef
Registered Member

I collected some information on my thread asking a similar question:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2630113

Failure isn't an option It's a requirement. 660g 380inwall+280smp/surge S/L/Soft/Maxima/RBTA/Clown/Chromis/Anthias/Tang/Mandarin/Jawfish/Goby/Wrasse/D'back. DIY 12' Skimmer ActuatedSurge ConcreteScape
karimwassef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/26/2017, 06:26 AM   #8
Orr2003
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Reefman View Post
I'm with BeanAnimal here.

I've made 5 tanks, the biggest being 4'x2'x14" and 2'x2'x20". It isn't rocket science, but it does involve some skill to do it right and lots of practice to make it look good. That said, a 14" deep tank doesn't have nearly the kind of pressure a 24" deep tank does. Both are 3/8" glass and no euro brace. The 14" deep tank is 4 years old and the 20" deep tank is only 6 months old.
Ron.....how did you build the bottom on the 48x24x14 tank? Any bracing or just one big piece of glass for the bottom? Did you use 3/8" glass for the bottom also?

Anyone have pictures of the bottom of their custom glass tank? I am looking for some help configuring the bottom bracing.

Unread 04/26/2017, 09:20 AM   #9
Orr2003
Registered Member

Since I want 36" front to back should I cross brace the bottom like pictured here? http://tropicalreefcorals.com/blog/

This must be best if Felix builds this way.

Unread 04/28/2017, 08:21 AM   #10
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

I used 3/8ths glass for the bottom and the tank sits on a yoga mat on a Corian counter top on a 2x4 stand. My 4'x2'x14" shallow reef shares the stand with a 18"x18"x10" frag tank and they both tie into an old 125g acrylic tank I cut down and then added a cross brace to use as a sump.

If I was doing a 5'x3'x14" tank I'd go 1/2" bottom. I don't think the cross braces do much to make the bottom stronger, but they do add some surface to grip the sides of the tank. If you have concerns about the sides holding to the bottom I'd do a 3/8ths thick euro brace all the way around the bottom before I'd do the cross brace. But that's just my opinion. My understanding of physics is pretty good, but I'm not a serious tank builder. I just have 5 builds.

Unread 04/28/2017, 09:10 PM   #11
bblumberg
Registered Member

Quote:
I used 3/8ths glass for the bottom and the tank sits on a yoga mat on a Corian counter top on a 2x4 stand. My 4'x2'x14" shallow reef shares the stand with a 18"x18"x10" frag tank and they both tie into an old 125g acrylic tank I cut down and then added a cross brace to use as a sump.

If I was doing a 5'x3'x14" tank I'd go 1/2" bottom. I don't think the cross braces do much to make the bottom stronger, but they do add some surface to grip the sides of the tank. If you have concerns about the sides holding to the bottom I'd do a 3/8ths thick euro brace all the way around the bottom before I'd do the cross brace. But that's just my opinion. My understanding of physics is pretty good, but I'm not a serious tank builder. I just have 5 builds.
I have 2, supposedly identical 150g 5x2x2 tanks from Crystal Dynamics. The first one I got came with a eurobrace on the top only. For no apparent reason, the 2nd tank that came ~8 months later has a eurobrace top and bottom. I guess the 2nd one will be stronger, but don't immediately see why they built the tank this way.

Current Tank Info: 150G mixed reef (6x Blue Acro 20K Pro COB LEDs, 4x 80W T5 supplement), 150g fw discus (T5 lighting), 110G fw Angelfish (DIY LED lighting), 4 x 40 g frag tanks (DIY LED).
Unread 04/29/2017, 04:26 AM   #12
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblumberg View Post
I have 2, supposedly identical 150g 5x2x2 tanks from Crystal Dynamics. The first one I got came with a eurobrace on the top only. For no apparent reason, the 2nd tank that came ~8 months later has a eurobrace top and bottom. I guess the 2nd one will be stronger, but don't immediately see why they built the tank this way.
Is there a question there?

Comment: You didn't say how thick the glass is on both tanks, don't assume they are the same. It may be they had some glass failures and decided to make the tank stronger. The extra amount of glass to euro brace the upper and lower rims is almost insignificant and the extra labor would be minimal as well. So why not build it stronger? Sounds like good customer relations to me.

Unread 04/29/2017, 11:26 AM   #13
Orr2003
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeanAnimal View Post
My suggestion?

Don't do it. While tank building is not rocket science, it is a learned craft with little margin for error. spend your DIY time and money on something with a better return. This is not a project you want to learn on or have fail.

There are plenty of reputable custom glass tank shops. A bad experience with one does not mean they are all that way.
Ok you won BeanAnimal......tank is being made. 60x36x16 rimless, 3/4" bottom with bracing, 1/2" sides. Pennisula style 3 viewing sides Starphire glass, synergy shadow 16" overflow blacked out glass on overflow side.
Now I wait......again lol

Unread 04/29/2017, 11:56 AM   #14
Joe0813
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orr2003 View Post
Ok you won BeanAnimal......tank is being made. 60x36x16 rimless, 3/4" bottom with bracing, 1/2" sides. Pennisula style 3 viewing sides Starphire glass, synergy shadow 16" overflow blacked out glass on overflow side.
Now I wait......again lol
what made you change your mind? I looked into building my own but then I realized if I make even a little mistake and that tank blows out its going to do a lot more damage to my wallet than another custom made tank.

Miracles gets a lot of good reviews on here. try them

Current Tank Info: 180 reef
Joe0813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/29/2017, 01:46 PM   #15
Orr2003
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe0813 View Post
what made you change your mind? I looked into building my own but then I realized if I make even a little mistake and that tank blows out its going to do a lot more damage to my wallet than another custom made tank.

Miracles gets a lot of good reviews on here. try them
I spoke with a couple tank builders and they told me the bottom should be 3/4" glass. I cant get 3/4" glass from my local glass shop, only thru special order and the price was stupid high. So it seems reasonable to just order another tank at this point.

Unread 04/29/2017, 01:51 PM   #16
karimwassef
Registered Member

There should be multiple glass providers in your area. They can't all be out or not carrying 3/4"

Failure isn't an option It's a requirement. 660g 380inwall+280smp/surge S/L/Soft/Maxima/RBTA/Clown/Chromis/Anthias/Tang/Mandarin/Jawfish/Goby/Wrasse/D'back. DIY 12' Skimmer ActuatedSurge ConcreteScape
karimwassef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/29/2017, 02:52 PM   #17
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karimwassef View Post
There should be multiple glass providers in your area. They can't all be out or not carrying 3/4"
Ha! My glass provider has to special order 1/2" glass!

Unread 04/29/2017, 03:29 PM   #18
Orr2003
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karimwassef View Post
This would possible be true if I lived in Dallas

Unread 04/29/2017, 05:40 PM   #19
jccaclimber
Registered Member

The last couple times I tried glass stores here they were really expensive. If you can't find a good local solution you might try Glass Cages. I've seen poor tank work from them in the past, but had a good experience ordering glass sheets from them. The tanks that were in their truck when they delivered my glass also looked much better than I've seen in the past.

jccaclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/30/2017, 01:24 AM   #20
bblumberg
Registered Member

Quote:
Is there a question there?

Comment: You didn't say how thick the glass is on both tanks, don't assume they are the same. It may be they had some glass failures and decided to make the tank stronger. The extra amount of glass to euro brace the upper and lower rims is almost insignificant and the extra labor would be minimal as well. So why not build it stronger? Sounds like good customer relations to me.
Glass on both tanks is 3/8. I am not complaining but rather noting the different construction of two tanks, both reef ready 150g of the same dimensions 60 x 24 x 24. Crystal Dynamics is the former Lee-Mar and I was surprised to see the difference in construction in tanks purchased relatively close to each other.