Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/27/2017, 02:11 PM   #1
Peperoni21
Registered Member

Reef Rescue

Hey guys I'm new to the forums and new to saltwater. I got a complete reef setup yesterday (the seller's buddy moved out and left the tank but he didn't know how to keep fish) but there is a lot I don't know about the equipment or the livestock. I managed to get everything to my house and everything is currently running. My fish keeping background is only freshwater(cichlids). The tank has 1 clownfish and 2 unknown tangs that I would appreciate if I could get some help identifying. There is also plenty of live rock and a couple I coral. So I guess I'm really here to just ask for some newbie advice. If it helps, there is a uv filter, HOB filter or skimmer I believe, and the filter appears to be built into the back of the tank. It's 35 gallons and it comes with some lights that appear to be pretty expensive. If you would like pictures of my equipment please let me know exactly what I should take the picture of. Thanks again.

Peperoni21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/27/2017, 02:17 PM   #2
TokiHacker
Registered Member

My suggestions with this would be to post pictures of all fish, coral and any equipment you don't know what it is.

Unread 04/27/2017, 02:24 PM   #3
Stolireef
Registered Member

Agree with above. That said, you might as well catch those tangs and bring them to the nearest saltwater aquarium store. They will not survive long in that sized tank. Pretty much minimum size for a tang (and this is a rock bottom minimum, most advocate for much larger) is 75 gallons.

Next, go to the top of this forum and read all of the stickies. I know it's alot of homework but you won't regret the effort. As you read, keep track of your questions and post them here. If you show that you've read the stickies, you'll get an enormous amount of very friendly help here.

Current Tank Info: 125 Rimless Leemar, Apex, Trigger 30 Elite Sump, Vertex 180i Skimmer, 2 X Gen4 Radion XR30W, BM Doser, 2xMP40WES, 2xTunze 6095, Sicce Syncra 4.0.
Stolireef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/27/2017, 02:39 PM   #4
TokiHacker
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stolireef View Post
Agree with above. That said, you might as well catch those tangs and bring them to the nearest saltwater aquarium store. They will not survive long in that sized tank. Pretty much minimum size for a tang (and this is a rock bottom minimum, most advocate for much larger) is 75 gallons.---- I originally typed this but decided not to incase the OP has mistaken the fish as a tang when it is another species of some sort.

Next, go to the top of this forum and read all of the stickies. I know it's alot of homework but you won't regret the effort. As you read, keep track of your questions and post them here. If you show that you've read the stickies, you'll get an enormous amount of very friendly help here.
But under most circumstances I agree with above. I just was going to say post pics first

Unread 04/27/2017, 02:39 PM   #5
billdogg
Registered Member

Welcome to Reef Central!

and ^^^What they said^^^

Pictures of everything will help, as will make and model of equipment. You will find that marine fishkeeping really isn't all that different from freshwater. Most of the same rules apply although there tends to be way less forgiveness with marine creatures.

The stickies will go a long way to lessen the learning curve.

And FWIW - pictures of the tangs won't change most opinions - they have already outgrown a 35g tank. Depending on which species, they may need a tank well over 100g just for starters.

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/27/2017, 02:52 PM   #6
WatDatThing
Registered Member

Welcome to the wonderful world of SW fish/reef keeping. There is so much to learn and so little time and MONEY .

WatDatThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/27/2017, 03:44 PM   #7
TokiHacker
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdogg View Post
Welcome to Reef Central!

and ^^^What they said^^^

Pictures of everything will help, as will make and model of equipment. You will find that marine fishkeeping really isn't all that different from freshwater. Most of the same rules apply although there tends to be way less forgiveness with marine creatures.

The stickies will go a long way to lessen the learning curve.

And FWIW - pictures of the tangs won't change most opinions - they have already outgrown a 35g tank. Depending on which species, they may need a tank well over 100g just for starters.
Very Correct. Assuming that they are tangs.

Unread 04/27/2017, 04:13 PM   #8
billdogg
Registered Member

Well, there is that.......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/27/2017, 04:15 PM   #9
TokiHacker
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdogg View Post
Well, there is that.......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lol. That is what I kinda thought... this tang thing though... so many people put tangs in tanks that should not be there....

Unread 04/27/2017, 06:44 PM   #10
Peperoni21
Registered Member

Unread 04/27/2017, 06:45 PM   #11
Peperoni21
Registered Member

Unread 04/27/2017, 06:47 PM   #12
Peperoni21
Registered Member

I tried uploading some pictures, I'm not sure if you can see them though. On my screen it appears as if I posted a blank reply??

Unread 04/27/2017, 06:48 PM   #13
Peperoni21
Registered Member

Unread 04/27/2017, 06:48 PM   #14
Joe0813
Registered Member

ehh hope its not tangs in a 35 gallon

Current Tank Info: 180 reef
Joe0813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/27/2017, 09:44 PM   #15
Peperoni21
Registered Member

Here's a test20170427_203911.jpg

Unread 04/28/2017, 08:53 AM   #17
Tisbe
Registered Member

The good news is those are not tangs. The bad news is they are Damsels, specifically a Neon Velvet & Yellowtail Damsel, both are mean little buggers especially in such a small tank. Those should be taken to the LFS. The corals I can see are leathers and green star polyps (GSP). The GSP can take over the tank if not controlled. I would ditch the UV. You do have an Hang On The Back (HOB) skimmer. You should get that running. The lights are more than enough for that tank. As others have said read the stickies at the top of this forum specifically "Newbies starting a new tank, read here! " and post your questions and we will try to help. Happy reefing!

Tisbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/28/2017, 08:59 AM   #18
Peperoni21
Registered Member

Alright thanks. So should I just be using all white light? Now about the fish I can cash em into my LFS, but would it be possible to get some more inhabitants now or should I wait?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Unread 04/28/2017, 09:07 AM   #19
Dale_M
Official Noob

Read ALL of this first...
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=1031074

Seriously, it will be worth the effort.
Then, once you feel you understand the basics of taking care of a reef aquarium and you feel that your water parameters are within spec and remain stable, maybe think about adding a fish or two AFTER you quarantine them in yet another tank or water holding device of your choice.

Dale_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/28/2017, 09:11 AM   #20
Peperoni21
Registered Member

Alright I'll be doing that throughout the course of today or this week hahaha. Thank you all for the feedback

Unread 04/28/2017, 10:56 AM   #21
Tisbe
Registered Member

You use a mixture of white and blue light. The tank will not look good with only white. Definitely wait on getting anything new, think months from now. Those leather do not look very health, you have a ton to learn and need to get this tank in good shape before you even think of setting up a quarantine tank to handle new arrival. You have a fish, you have corals. Until you can get those corals growing again I would hold off. Most tanks are built over years not days or months unless you are very experienced. Most people crash their first tank by rushing it. Rushing things will only lead to more problems.

Tisbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/28/2017, 12:02 PM   #22
WatDatThing
Registered Member

You need to do a water test. Make sure the parameters are inline.

WatDatThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/28/2017, 02:06 PM   #23
Peperoni21
Registered Member

What mixture of light should I be using? Would I have to research the specific coral I have and figure out what light it needs? I'll be running to the store later today to get a saltwater testing kit.

Unread 04/28/2017, 02:18 PM   #24
gjustinj
Registered Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peperoni21 View Post
Hey guys I'm new to the forums and new to saltwater. I got a complete reef setup yesterday (the seller's buddy moved out and left the tank but he didn't know how to keep fish) but there is a lot I don't know about the equipment or the livestock. I managed to get everything to my house and everything is currently running. My fish keeping background is only freshwater(cichlids). The tank has 1 clownfish and 2 unknown tangs that I would appreciate if I could get some help identifying. There is also plenty of live rock and a couple I coral. So I guess I'm really here to just ask for some newbie advice. If it helps, there is a uv filter, HOB filter or skimmer I believe, and the filter appears to be built into the back of the tank. It's 35 gallons and it comes with some lights that appear to be pretty expensive. If you would like pictures of my equipment please let me know exactly what I should take the picture of. Thanks again.
I would recommend wearing gloves when reaching your hands into that tank, not only will it protect the fish from soap, but also you from possible poison from the coral or fish (do your research) - I just found out this myself

gjustinj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/28/2017, 03:29 PM   #25
Stolireef
Registered Member

With regard to the lighting, most people grow their corals under primarily blue light with some other colors for supplementation of appearance. Most people run their white light at roughly 50% of the intensity of the blue light.

As a very basic explanation (and not completely accurate but useful for your purposes)

Corals harbor photosynthetic zooxanthellae. The zooxanthellae convert light and nutrients into sugars that feed the corals. It's basically a symbiotic relationship. The light over your tank needs to get close to the wavelengths of sunlight as filtered through many feet of saltwater. Since red wavelengths get absorbed first, the zooxanthellae have adapted to make the best use of that blue wavelengths of light.

However, if you just run all blue, the colors of the corals will be washed out so you add some white.

Be careful with your intensity. Start no higher than 50% (I'd probably start closer to 30%) and keep an eye on your corals. If they look happy and healthy, leave the intensity where it is.

Current Tank Info: 125 Rimless Leemar, Apex, Trigger 30 Elite Sump, Vertex 180i Skimmer, 2 X Gen4 Radion XR30W, BM Doser, 2xMP40WES, 2xTunze 6095, Sicce Syncra 4.0.
Stolireef is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
noobie, reef