Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/28/2017, 01:08 PM   #1
gjustinj
Registered Member.

Duncan Corals

Okay guys I really love my Duncan and eventually want to get more. My duncan seems to be thriving in my tank. Are there other color Duncans? I see them online, but then I can't find any other type of Duncan (for instance when I looked up Zoas I found all kinds, people eaters, fruitloops (i think i have) etc) so my question is do they grow different stems with different colors? or are there actually different colored ones and I should do some shopping around to find the colors I like eventually?

gjustinj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/28/2017, 02:21 PM   #2
jayball
Registered Member

they are all similar, and some may morph depending on the tank conditions (likely to more match the existing ones). generally they range from teal-green to more metallic green, sometimes with purple tips.

I agree though, they are my favorite LPS coral. Voracious eaters.

jayball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/28/2017, 02:23 PM   #3
gjustinj
Registered Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayball View Post
they are all similar, and some may morph depending on the tank conditions (likely to more match the existing ones). generally they range from teal-green to more metallic green, sometimes with purple tips.

I agree though, they are my favorite LPS coral. Voracious eaters.
So I should just keep an eye out for different colors?

Unread 04/28/2017, 02:32 PM   #4
Tripod1404
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjustinj View Post
So I should just keep an eye out for different colors?
There are no color morphs, they are all green centered purple tipped. Intensity of the these colors change based on your light intensity.

Tripod1404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/28/2017, 02:41 PM   #5
gjustinj
Registered Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod1404 View Post
There are no color morphs, they are all green centered purple tipped. Intensity of the these colors change based on your light intensity.
ohh! I see, I use a reef breeder photon v-2 50, and it changes colors all day long, but the the Duncan stays mostly the same color aside for glowing under certain lights.

Unread 04/28/2017, 02:46 PM   #6
Tripod1404
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjustinj View Post
ohh! I see, I use a reef breeder photon v-2 50, and it changes colors all day long, but the the Duncan stays mostly the same color aside for glowing under certain lights.
What I mean is their colorfulness change based on the intensity of light and type of wavelength of light in use. Most corals become brighter in color under strong light (like dark metallic green for Duncans) but this is a slow process, it can take several months. But dont over do it as it can bleach the coral. They need to be acclimated to strong light and some corals dont like strong light. Also corals flores more under actinic light (blue+UV range light).

Unread 04/28/2017, 03:15 PM   #7
jayball
Registered Member

I don't claim to know definitively but there are examples of different Duncan showing different coloration after being in the same tank, next to each other, after multiple months

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jayball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/28/2017, 04:00 PM   #8
Tripod1404
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayball View Post
I don't claim to know definitively but there are examples of different Duncan showing different coloration after being in the same tank, next to each other, after multiple months

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah sure, but they are still green in center and have pink to purple tentacles. They have different hues of the same color pattern. Like, I have never seen a red or blue duncan coral. OP was asking if there are color variants of duncans like zoa's have.