Reef Central Online Community
The Filter Guys

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Marine Plants & Macroalgae
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 04/28/2017, 09:34 AM   #2476
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hoaster View Post
So there's another big difference between planted tanks and reefs. A high fish load in a reef tank, puts a strain on the system. In a planted tank, a high fish load actually benefits the system.
I think that is going to be my strategy in my tank too. I want a high fish bioload, and also the plants (macros and grasses) make the tank so much more realistic, especially my biotope that is very similar to what you're doing.

Regarding my tank, I've decided on all of my equipment and will be ordering very soon, should have everything by mid May. That means that I better get the FW tank done fast, so I'll be working on that this weekend.

For my lighting, I'm going LED. The AquaIllumination Hydra 52 HD. My tank is only 18" deep, so I think that this will work fine. At first I was going to go cheap, but hey, this is one piece of equipment that I can always move to a reef later if I build one, so I'm going for something nice. Also, it supposedly can cover a 36"x36" area. That might be the biggest difference, you with MH and me with the LED. My tank will be temperate, so keeping heat out of it as much as possible is a must (since I'm not doing a chiller).

If it wasn't the aiptasias that killed your fish, it's possible that just the stress of collecting/shipping etc. could have been a problem, or something like that. Stuff happens. Are you going to get more of them?

--Kevin Wilson

Current Tank Info: 101g 3'X3'X18" Cubish Oyster Reef Blenny tank, 36"X17"X18" sump
Chasmodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/28/2017, 01:01 PM   #2477
Michael Hoaster
Registered Member

Page 100! Triple digits, Baby! Ok I'm done.

I doubt my plants will really take off until I get more fish in there. That's how it happened when the tank was new. I love that about planted tanks.

How's the FW tank progressing? Post a link to the thread? Your rock wall puts us all to shame!

I'm so glad to hear you've decided on your equipment. LEDs sound like the right choice. And it totally makes sense to invest in high quality stuff. It often SAVES you money! I'm not anti-LED. I just already had the MH setup, that I knew was adequate for my tank's 30" depth.

I doubt shipping stress, since I've had the blennies for a month. I really don't know what killed them. I have one, tiny guy left. I would like to get more, but I'm feeling a bit gun-shy right now.

Current Tank Info: 180g Caribbean Biotope Seagrass-Mangrove Mudbank Lagoon
Michael Hoaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04/28/2017, 02:55 PM   #2478
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Quote:
Page 100! Triple digits, Baby! Ok I'm done.
Noooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well hang in there... I think that your plans are solid, but just had a run of bad luck for sure.

I'll try and post an update on my FW tank soon. I'm working on the roots now, and the latest update is kinda ugly, LOL. But, here's a picture of the rock work, still needs to be painted and installed into the tank:

--Kevin Wilson

Current Tank Info: 101g 3'X3'X18" Cubish Oyster Reef Blenny tank, 36"X17"X18" sump

Last edited by Chasmodes; 04/28/2017 at 03:03 PM.
Chasmodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/28/2017, 03:42 PM   #2479
Michael Hoaster
Registered Member

There certainly were some complicating factors associated with treating my display with hypo salinity. So yeah, I had some bad, as well as good luck with it. I think it'll all work out.

The ecosystem is bouncing back. I've got lots of busy pods now. I'm hoping I got some spaghetti worms in the last live sand shipment, and as soon as they become available, I'll add some tiny brittle stars. I'd probably have more fish if KP aquatics had them in stock, but it's a waiting game. The same goes for plants - there just isn't a great selection right now. From my point of view, those collectors don't go out collecting nearly enough! It seems to me, they'd all make a lot more money if they kept their inventories up.

Chasmodes, your wall is awesome. The roots giving you trouble? You're using PVC pipe, right? I have seen attempts with PVC. To me they didn't work because pipe is straight, nature is not. I know that most have doubts about the technique I used, but 2+ years later, my roots are still working perfectly. Also, consider using real wood. I gathered driftwood from Boulder Creek. It took quite awhile to get it water logged enough to sink, but they worked well in my FW planted tank.

Old Yesterday, 06:07 PM   #2480
Michael Hoaster
Registered Member

Today I broke down, cleaned up, and got the QT running again.

As I was netting up the muck on the bottom I discovered a spaghetti worm, then another and another! Soon, I was in full obsession mode and carefully went through ALL the muck. I spent hours painstakingly extricating gooey worms! I didn't count but I'd guess I moved around forty worms to the display. I also found a few sponge fragments, which were mostly red tree sponge and a little of the white, encrusting sponge I had before. However, I also found a couple of purple beauties! Too small to call right now, but they look really good. I'm super stoked to score these finds, right in my QT!

I added the remaining barnacle blenny to the display. I think he's in or under the barnacles. He's insanely tiny!

Big ecosystem addition with those worms today! Woo! Hoo! I'm a weirdo…

Old Yesterday, 06:59 PM   #2481
sam.basye
Registered Member

Quote:
Woo! Hoo! I'm a weirdo…

Current Tank Info: 26 gal Bowfront foam wall build: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2457621
Foam Wall Instructable: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php
sam.basye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:53 PM   #2482
sam.basye
Registered Member

I have numerous little spaghetti worms in the sand bed, and a giant one living in a conch shell. They're pretty neat watching them grab stuff and pull it in!

My wife thinks it's disgusting and says I need to get it out. Haha

Current Tank Info: 26 gal Bowfront foam wall build: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2457621
Foam Wall Instructable: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php
sam.basye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:43 AM   #2483
Moort82
Registered Member

Quote:

Big ecosystem addition with those worms today! Woo! Hoo! I'm a weirdo…
Then this must be the place us weirdo's of the world unite

Moort82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:24 AM   #2484
Michael Hoaster
Registered Member

Yeah, Sam, I found some big ones too. I had no idea they got so big. Fantastic detrivores too. I was amazed how much detritus piled up during hypo, when mine died back. I'm so psyched to have them again. With them, the pods, the snails and the molly fry, I'm getting a good crew going, at the lower end of the food chain, which makes me oh, so happy.

Right on, Moort82! Weirdos welcome here! It's kind of amazing the things we'll do to get our tanks 'just so' isn't it? When I found that first worm, I saw a great opportunity. If I wasn't good and weird enough, I might have just tossed them. But I like to sift through the minutiae for jewels! In my weird, little world, spaghetti worms qualify. The irony of finding them right in my own QT isn't lost on me, after ordering live sand from two different vendors.

The bottom line is I've added biodiversity right where I needed it, so I'm happy.

Old Today, 09:59 AM   #2485
Michael Hoaster
Registered Member

Hey Chasmodes, I took a look at the light you're planning to get. It's very nice, with great tech, but seems awfully blue for a shallow water planted tank. Obviously, it's quite adjustable, so it may be fine, but it almost looks like you are looking beyond this tank and on to a reef tank.

Just my two cents!

Tags
biotope, caribbean, food chain detrivores, macro algae, seagrass