Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/20/2017, 12:50 PM   #1
Berta600
Registered Member

Order to add fish? And how to QT them?

What do you think about this order (and number of fish)?
2 firefish
1 royal gramma
2 oc clownfish
3-5 pajama cardinalfish

Could I combine some since I have a 29 gal QT? (Like the firefish and gramma)

Thanks!

Current Tank Info: 54 gal corner FOWLR, 50 lbs live rock, 60 lbs sand/aragonite, AquaMaxx HOB-1 skimmer
Berta600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/20/2017, 01:17 PM   #2
sdbc
Registered Member

When I was researching my firefish purchase, many people said that 2 will fight unless they are a mated pair, so you may want to consider a single one of those. I think the clownfish have the most potential for aggression, so I would add them last. Overall seems like it should be a pretty mellow group of fish.

Current Tank Info: 125g mixed reef, 20g F/W planted
sdbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/20/2017, 01:44 PM   #3
scooter31707
Registered Member

That is true with the Firefish. It may or may not work out. Remember every tank/situation is different.. Also I believe you will be left with one cardinal fish (not sure, maybe the experts will chime in on that). For as the QT, you may be able to get away with doing all of them, depending on the size of all of them. I have done six 2-3" fish in a 20 gallon long before. I just had to stay on top of water quality and I feed a little more than usual to keep the aggression down.

scooter31707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/20/2017, 02:22 PM   #4
Kremis
Registered Member

Yes, you will be left with 1 cardinal or a pair. If they are all the same sex they will kill eachother. Same thing with firefish. To answer the original question, if you get 1 cardinal, 1 firefish, the clowns and the gramma they would be ok in the QT. If I were you I would get a dwarf angel as my showpiece fish, or maybe a nice wrasse.

Kremis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/20/2017, 04:58 PM   #5
Berta600
Registered Member

Thanks everyone! Is there any schooling species that may work for me?

Current Tank Info: 54 gal corner FOWLR, 50 lbs live rock, 60 lbs sand/aragonite, AquaMaxx HOB-1 skimmer
Unread 04/20/2017, 07:08 PM   #6
BigBlueTang
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berta600 View Post
Thanks everyone! Is there any schooling species that may work for me?
No hobbyist tanks are large enough to have schooling behavior.

Shoaling is sometimes attainable in large enough tanks and with fish like damsels, chromis, or anthias.

Sadly, your tank is not large enough for enough fish to shoal.

Unread 04/20/2017, 08:21 PM   #7
Berta600
Registered Member

Thanks BigBlueTang. Is that why people are recommending only one pajama cardinalfish? Because all the websites say they are peaceful and okay in groups (as opposed to the Bangaai cardinalfish). I'd like to have at least a few of one species.

"will form a strict hierarchy when kept in small groups within the aquarium. However, unlike some social fish, this member of the Apogonidae family does not use aggression to exert dominance over other cardinalfish." From Live Aquaria

Unread 04/21/2017, 11:02 AM   #8
Kremis
Registered Member

They might be an exception, im not sure. But in general, most fish stores say will school will also gradually kill eachother off

Kremis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2017, 02:18 PM   #9
Hal
Registered Member

I've had good luck with Pajama cardinals. I had 2 or 3 (can't remember) back in the day and they did fine for a long period of time. Only got rid of them when I broke down the tank.

Bangaii cardinal's, on the other hand, always seem to kill each other off unless they are a mated pair. I'm not sure if 2 females would be ok or not. I could never sex mine so I can't say.

Current Tank Info: 250g starphire: 72x28x30, BeanAnimal drain with an oversized non-durso emergency drain, 4 inch DSB, 3x Reefbreeders Value LED fixtures, SWC/MSX 300A skimmer, Geo kalk reactor, 3 Vortechs w/bb, carbon reactor, and a RKL
Hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/22/2017, 08:44 AM   #10
Berta600
Registered Member

Thanks everyone. This forum is awesome!

Unread 04/30/2017, 08:21 PM   #11
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

PJs are just the mellowest fish, and I'm not sure that they ever sleep. I have trio, about 2" long, and they get along fine. Unlike Banggai, as you say. They will pair up and the 'loser' is toast.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote